The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross martin audio Audio Interfaces
Old 25th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
What's the average wait time after an order? I'm shopping stereo DACs. Are people getting burned or is he pretty reliable? Sorry just want the 10/24/2013 update if any exists.
My order took about a month and a half and honestly, it's still one of the best purchases I've made. Had I paid $999 for it, it would still be worth it, although I probably wouldn't have purchased it, as I probably would have gone with Lavry or Benchmark if I was in that pricerange. I'm glad I wasn't as my sound took a leap forward and the Ross Martin is clocking my whole system, which, may not be a big deal, but does change my sound every so slightly and makes me unique. I'm loving it and just want to get his D/A to start having things the same way there as well. You can't go wrong, you'll get your unit, you just have to wait. I wouldn't rush him either as he hand builds it and tests it all himself. Let him take his time, you'll be better off for it. Totally worth it.
Old 30th October 2013
I've been running 2 channels of Ross Martin DAC for about a year alongside my Apogee Ensemble, and RMA sounds better than the Apogee. Much bigger clearer bass, and more depth generally. I also picked up an ADC, which seems to work just fine, but I can't hear too much difference, but then tests are harder to (motovate to) do on this one. Overall money very well spent. It's hard to get an email from them. I waited a number of months for the DAC, and the ADC I bought from another member here. I wrote Ross/Mabry last month about getting an 8 channel unit, and haven't heard back... still I"m happy to own these things
Old 4th November 2013
Lives for gear

Is his sound geared toward a certain genre? Is it better than buying a Lynx Hilo or Dangerous D-Box? I'm speaking of conversion for mixing and mastering. Also conversion for microphone going in. I'm in the market looking to buy some high quality Converters and someone mention his name to me.
Old 4th November 2013
Im a bit confused by his product line up - which ADC and DAC do gearslutz typically go for?
Old 5th November 2013
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melodicmusic View Post
Is it better than buying a Lynx Hilo?
Not by any remote stretch of the imagination. I needed additional I/O and got one of the ADC's. Returned it after disappointing test results and annoyances (being unable to slave to ext word clock for eg) and found it preferable to go with a Motu 828mk2 clocked from my Hilo.

Converter shopping is tricky business.
Buyer beware.
Old 5th November 2013
Lives for gear

Well Ive been waiting for his 8 channel pcm4222 USB interface. Its been there for months "Eight Channel PCM4222 Recording interface

With Midi and Word Clock Plus S/MUX and USB. Price to be announced soon." But its been months - cmon. Between this and SPL Crimson......
Old 5th November 2013
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogma View Post
Well Ive been waiting for his 8 channel pcm4222 USB interface. Its been there for months "Eight Channel PCM4222 Recording interface

With Midi and Word Clock Plus S/MUX and USB.
You've confirmed with him that it'll slave to ext wclk? Previously his ADC only worked as master clock source and I definitely did not want to slave my Hilo to it.
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Those product descriptions could use a bit more detail. Can anyone give me some info on the "Super Beast"? The website calls it a dual unit ADA. Does that mean it is a stereo AD/DA converter? Meaning 2 channels of DAC and 2 channels of ADC? I keep seeing references to it being just a DAC... The pictures are not clear enough for me to make out all of those connections, but it looks like there are 3 XLRs on the back and maybe a headphone on the front? 3 XLRs? Totally puzzled...
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

I just figured out that ADA was the OP amps, and not the functionality of the unit which is a stereo DAC...
Old 12th November 2013
Lives for gear

Ross seems like the best way to do a converter upgrade shootout through my studio without dropping ridiculous amounts of cash. I am using a Steinberg UR824 interface (@ 96k / 24bit) for AD / DA conversion through a Toft ATB08 console. I tend to do a blend of OTB / ITB mixing (stereo main mix with a few key individual channels). I am considering a Ross Martin "Super Beast" DAC to use for monitoring and to send my main mix stem to the console during mixdown / mastering. It looks like it would have to happen via optical S/PDIF connection. How would the clock timing work between the units? Would I get full advantage of the Ross converter quality even though it is being run through my UR824?

I have been really impressed with the sound of the UR824, but to my ears the AD sounds much better at 96k / the DA sounded a good bit more smoother and polished at 48k. The UR824 sounds great "as is" at 96k... But I can't help wondering if something like the Ross could give my main mix that rounder and smoother DAC sound @96k, so that I can get that polished mix sound and can still capture the higher frequencies and sparkle that I am hearing on the way back in.

Adding a separate stereo DAC would also free up 2 more mixer channels for handling individual tracks during mixdown.
Old 5th December 2013
Gear Head

HI slutz..

I recevied my Ross Martin DAC a couple of days ago, so will provide some feedback for others.

I ordered a Dual PCM1794A “Slim” with the ADA4898 upgrade.

I Performed two tests on the same day

1) a length AB test listening on Proac Studio range speakers powered with my Temple Audio Class-d mono blocks.

2) a lengthy (9hour) DJ set in pro club environment ( the main purpose for the DAC).

Have experience with 5 other units to compare with, in order of supposed quality these being

1) edirol FA-66
2) NI Audio 8
3) RME Babyface
4) Benchmark DAc1
5) Benchmark DAC2

&

6) the Ross MArtin.

Obvioulsy simple to quickly eleminate the Edirol and NI equipment which the Rossmartin unit blows away. Bass, mid and High info outperform these units by a mile.

Comparing to my RME babyface ( the unit i use the most), the Ross's dac is a big step up with great transparency, LF detail far more extended/smooth and the MID & HF ranges blowing the RME out of the water ( making it sound muted and muddy in comparison) and feels extremely gentle and non fatiguing, i could pick out detail in tracks i know very well that i'd never heard before.

I regulalry use a Benchmark DAC1, and occaisonally listen to the DAC2 and this unit sounds very close sonically to my ears, but more testing needed to suggest it surpasses them, but have no qualms in putting them in the same arena.

Headphone - tested the headphone amp which seems extremely good and powers my AKG-701's beautifully ( which other cards have failed to do), they have never sounded so good.

Basically as reported by others the DAC sound amazing and must be one of the best deals out there.

As mentioned in other posts delivery did take several months, but Ross/Mabry do respond to mails, but best to order then forget for awhile while they build. Obvioulsy very nice and dedicated poeple.

I have none of the issues repored on another thread on GS with bleed and non zero volume levels, the unit has no faults.

Ive already written to order another unit which will connect to a second channel on our new acquired Bozak CMA 10-2-DL mixer.

cheers
joe
Old 5th December 2013
Lives for gear

Nice review. Im still waiting on his 8 channel interface (based on the pcm 4222). Any idea of pricing?
Old 5th December 2013
Gear Head

Thanks - cant help you on pricing but im sure Ross will let you know if you ask. I'd guess around double the 4 channel PCM4222 ADC config that he already sells, but don't quote me
Old 3rd February 2014
Lives for gear

I 've sent him an email on September about a unit I was interested on buying. Still waiting for his reply..
Old 15th March 2014
Lives for gear

Anyone know the current turnaround time on one of Ross's products?
Old 15th March 2014
Gear Nut

Ross did mention that he's been slowed down a bit by the cold temperatures.

I ordered on 3rd January. Item was shipped on 11th March. So should be with me any day now...
Old 16th March 2014
Lives for gear

Thanks. Did you get an email informing that the item had shipped?
Old 27th March 2014
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Thanks. Did you get an email informing that the item had shipped?
Yes, they emailed me with a tracking number. Finally got hold of it today. So far, seems to work nicely.
Old 27th March 2014
Lives for gear
I ordered a bare bones rack mount November 5. I guess there's been some troubles getting parts and the cold has hampered assembly. Still no tracking number.
Old 30th March 2014
Lives for gear

I ordered a PCM4222 just on 12 weeks ago.... checks watch.....

Old 25th May 2014
Gear Nut

After 6 weeks of using the single PCM1794a DAC (with headphone, usb, and volume pot on the unbalanced RCA outs) at 44.1 and 48... honest thoughts about it with some consideration of confirmation bias:

Untreated, pretty reasonable sounding large room
Pair of PMC LB1c speakers
Arcam Alpha 10 integrated running as a power amp (bypass preamp mode)
Macbook Pro (late 2012) toslink output
Beyer DT770 (80ohm)

When the DAC got here (nicely packaged), I plugged in an ancient, possibly damaged £1 optical cable I had lying around and the DAC lost clock sync often so purchased a £10 one and it works fine now. Not an ABX comparison but previously I was using the Yamaha N12 in the same setup -- which I admit I was happy with already. First reaction was not, "better", but "different". There are two filter settings, 1 seems steeper slope than 2. I feel the N12 sounded in between the two if anything. But I quickly fell in love with the bass on the Ross Martin -- it seems to be presented with more detail.

Over a few days, I listened to the filter settings on vocals, hi hat, instrumental sample libraries, and mastered uncompressed and 320 reference tracks, including loads of solo piano recordings, modern and old in many styles. Perhaps I'm just fooled by a preference towards a mildly rolled off sound, but I felt that in mode 2 I wasn't missing anything 10kHz upwards, rather it sat a little more nicely. And the more I listened, the more I thought that in both modes the Ross Martin was able to give me something more relaxed in the highs compared to the "harder" N12. Not mushy sounding or indistinct, there's at least as much clarity but just kinda sounds more "simple".

Basically, it sounds clean to me and makes my speakers sound a bit better I think so I'm happy with that. I will definitely be considering his products in the future and recommend them to anyone who is patient. He's not *that* bad with communication, and it's clear that he's doing his best to bring us great stuff. If you aren't feeling that then you have many other options.
Old 26th May 2014
Gear Head

This reminds me of me still having one of the ADA 1794s Head-FI editions. I'm moving, changing lifestyles, etc I kinda feel bad that I don't use it anymore (along with most of my audio stuff). Anyone interested pm me.
Old 25th July 2014
Gear Guru
This is a great find! Will be in the market and really am strapped for cash. Love the idea of supporting small guys like him, M Joly, etc, God bless small business and craftsmen! Gonna go sing a chorus of Kink's "Village Green Preservation Society"......
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

I have had a few PM's asking if the Ross Martin Super Beast DAC was a noticeable step up from the DA of my UR824, so I decided to add a quick post. I definitely can say that there is a decent difference between the D/A of the units. I was kind of surprised by how much actually... The Ross Martin Super Beast has more definition in the bass, is less mid heavy, more open sounding, more of a stereo separation sound, and a much more extended response in the high frequencies. The UR824's D/A sounds very warm, it makes a mix sound much larger and more dense, heavy in the low-mids / mids, and rolled off sounding on the top end.

The Ross Martin definitely has a noticeably more open and clear sound than the UR824. It really made my mixes much less dense and cluttered, and it allowed the highs from acoustic instruments to still come through even during heavier sections of arrangements (something that has always been harder to pull off, and now I know why). The open crisp sound of the Ross Martin also allowed me to hear flaws that had been somewhat covered by the mid heavy UR824. I tested the two with pink noise / a spectrum analyzer and the Ross Martin was definitely more flat than the UR824, but only by a few dBs in at a few frequencies. (Take that with a grain of salt though. My room is treated, but does not have a perfectly flat frequency response yet)

It actually makes me wonder whether a Lavry D11 might reveal even more detail... I can definitely recommend the RMA Super Beast for an inexpensive way to test the waters of a dedicated DAC. The RMA is my new monitor / mix buss output, and I use the UR824 outs for a few individual channels on the console during mixdown.
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by archfrenemy View Post
I have had a few PM's asking if the Ross Martin Super Beast DAC was a noticeable step up from the DA of my UR824, so I decided to add a quick post. I definitely can say that there is a decent difference between the D/A of the units. I was kind of surprised by how much actually... The Ross Martin Super Beast has more definition in the bass, is less mid heavy, more open sounding, more of a stereo separation sound, and a much more extended response in the high frequencies. The UR824's D/A sounds very warm, it makes a mix sound much larger and more dense, heavy in the low-mids / mids, and rolled off sounding on the top end.

The Ross Martin definitely has a noticeably more open and clear sound than the UR824. It really made my mixes much less dense and cluttered, and it allowed the highs from acoustic instruments to still come through even during heavier sections of arrangements (something that has always been harder to pull off, and now I know why). The open crisp sound of the Ross Martin also allowed me to hear flaws that had been somewhat covered by the mid heavy UR824. I tested the two with pink noise / a spectrum analyzer and the Ross Martin was definitely more flat than the UR824, but only by a few dBs in at a few frequencies. (Take that with a grain of salt though. My room is treated, but does not have a perfectly flat frequency response yet)

It actually makes me wonder whether a Lavry D11 might reveal even more detail... I can definitely recommend the RMA Super Beast for an inexpensive way to test the waters of a dedicated DAC. The RMA is my new monitor / mix buss output, and I use the UR824 outs for a few individual channels on the console during mixdown.
Haven't tried the Lavery but I found the ross to sound noticeably better than the apollo.

From the popular ones I've tried burl/symphony > ross > sennheiser > apollo > focusrite
Old 1st August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Haven't tried the Lavery but I found the ross to sound noticeably better than the apollo.

From the popular ones I've tried burl/symphony > ross > sennheiser > apollo > focusrite
How well did the Ross hold up against the Burl? Was it the B2 DAC?
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
For the price though not having heard them all at the same time I'd say very well. The burl sounds richer though and clearer, the symphony has more depth as in Z coordinate if thinking in 3d. But compared to the apollo and the sennheisser I though it had a very open sound. Going from product to product I would say the ross was the biggest jump in sound quality as I upgraded my setup over time
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
For the price though not having heard them all at the same time I'd say very well. The burl sounds richer though and clearer, the symphony has more depth as in Z coordinate if thinking in 3d. But compared to the apollo and the sennheisser I though it had a more open sound. Going from product to product I would say the ross was the biggest jump in sound quality as I upgraded my setup over time. I never owned the apollo though, but I did try it with my setup for a while before returning it. I have owned the others though, but not all at the same time.

The Ross Martin was my first really good converter. I upgraded to the apollo, which I returned as it was really a downgrade, and got the symphony io. Same happened later with the burl. The burl I would not say was a downgrade from the symphony, but I thought the apogee handled the sound stage of modern rock mixing a bit better. I could see the Burl being better for solo or smooth music type of stuff. All that being said, the Ross is by far the best bang for the buck.
Old 2nd August 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGhost View Post
I'm so freakin excited that when I get it I'm to chuck a sicki from work!!
Uhhhh...WTFreak?
Old 5th August 2014
Lives for gear
I read a review of the ADC by a guy using it to archive his vinyl collection. He said it was not as good as his Rosetta and in some ways not as good as his Presonus Inspire. This is a bit disappointing but only one review. He said it was good though and very neutral but just not as clean in the mids and highs. However, he was not using it with a +4db source.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search