The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross martin audio Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear Addict

Last I heard was the end of June. He was placing a very large order for parts after recently having issues with Wavefront, one of his suppliers. He said he signed with his new supplier so it seems he had finished some testing and was gearing up for a big production phase. It's very likely he's just in the middle of cranking out all his orders now. It's been easy to see Ross working in phases. There are times when he gets back to me daily for an entire week, and others when communication is dropped off. He's not a flaky guy, I just believe that word spread of his products exponentially and he's getting thousands of inquires from people wanting multi-channel AES to people who would otherwise be buying low end gear seeing the price tag and emailing to ask what S/PDIF is.

From what he said, it sounded like things have been at a standstill for a while due to Wavefront, but given the big new order that he made a month ago (which I'm sure of because I had to rush a payment to get in on time), I think he's now churning them out. If how things went last time I got some gear from him is an indication, we won't hear from him until it's our turn in line for shipping, then he'll pay attention to your emails for a short while just to confirm address, etc. if he has to. If your order was clear and all details were provided, I'm not sure if he'll email. I had a tracking number from him but I asked for it.
Old 2nd August 2013
Lives for gear

Im thinking of selling my adc. Got it this year but havent found the time to incorporate it. I will probaly keep the dac though. Of anyone is interested PM me and I can put a listing up in the classefieds.
Old 3rd August 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds11 View Post
Last I heard was the end of June. He was placing a very large order for parts after recently having issues with Wavefront, one of his suppliers. He said he signed with his new supplier so it seems he had finished some testing and was gearing up for a big production phase. It's very likely he's just in the middle of cranking out all his orders now. It's been easy to see Ross working in phases. There are times when he gets back to me daily for an entire week, and others when communication is dropped off. He's not a flaky guy, I just believe that word spread of his products exponentially and he's getting thousands of inquires from people wanting multi-channel AES to people who would otherwise be buying low end gear seeing the price tag and emailing to ask what S/PDIF is.

From what he said, it sounded like things have been at a standstill for a while due to Wavefront, but given the big new order that he made a month ago (which I'm sure of because I had to rush a payment to get in on time), I think he's now churning them out. If how things went last time I got some gear from him is an indication, we won't hear from him until it's our turn in line for shipping, then he'll pay attention to your emails for a short while just to confirm address, etc. if he has to. If your order was clear and all details were provided, I'm not sure if he'll email. I had a tracking number from him but I asked for it.
Thanks for the clarification. I finally got an e-mail from them. They're waiting to get some parts from the supplier and were sorry for the delay it has caused. Let's hope things will move on swiftly now.
Old 19th August 2013
Gear Nut

I'm also having a 'Super Beast' built by Ross and added a volume control for the XLR outputs. I'm guessing it will probably be a simply pot but I plan to replace it with a stepped attenuator once I get the item. Also thinking to shift the innards to a nicer case (ordered a 1RU case) and nicer front panel design.

Email communication has been great so far, week 4 and counting.
Old 19th August 2013
Gear Nut

I'm also having a 'Super Beast' built by Ross and added a volume control for the XLR outputs. I'm guessing it will probably be a simply pot but I plan to replace it with a stepped attenuator once I get the item. Also thinking to shift the innards to a nicer case (ordered a 1RU case) and nicer front panel design.

Email communication has been great so far, week 4 and counting.
Old 20th August 2013
Gear Addict

one dac up for immediate sale, $180. he means one sony imprint, not all of sony records obviously.. Sale

I don't work for Ross or anything, I just check his site often for new pictures
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Maniac

Man I've been waiting for almost 2 months now for a DAC. I already bought an RME Fireface 800 in the meantime... I kind of feel like cancelling the order at this point but it takes them so long to respond to e-mails, if they even respond. Better be worth the wait lol.
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Head

I own an RME Fireface 400 and the RM DAC was a definite improvement. Like many, I had to wait a while to get the product. Like some, the email communication was occasionally spotty. But I am very happy with the DAC and I would absolutely buy from them again.
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_boy View Post
I own an RME Fireface 400 and the RM DAC was a definite improvement. Like many, I had to wait a while to get the product. Like some, the email communication was occasionally spotty. But I am very happy with the DAC and I would absolutely buy from them again.
What improvements did you find?
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Entertainer View Post
What improvements did you find?
And how did you connect it also? I asked for SPDIF. I kind of hate the idea of having a converter outside of the interface. Also, if I'm not mistaken, there is no audio control on the Ross DAC? So no way to turn volume up or down? I assumed RME had some pretty awesome converters at that price.
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Head

I went SPDIF out of the RME to the RM DAC. Both the RME and the RM analog outs went to the inputs of my monitor controller. I used the RME Totalmix app to adjust the levels until you couldn't hear a level difference when switching between between the two, because you are right, there is no output control on the RM, then sat my engineer friends down for a blind test. They all agreed that the RM sounded better, not a ton, but the soundstage was a bit wider, there was more detail in the mids. Everybody heard it, without knowing which one they were listening to.
I have, over the years, progressed, upgraded DAC from MBox2, to Central Station (pretty decent DAC for the price), to RME 400, to the Ross Martin. At this point, the only way I think I could get better would be to go to Lynx, Lavrey, or equivalent. The RM cost approx $250 with the upgraded op amps. It's a very good deal, IMO.
Old 23rd August 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by strat_boy View Post
I went SPDIF out of the RME to the RM DAC. Both the RME and the RM analog outs went to the inputs of my monitor controller. I used the RME Totalmix app to adjust the levels until you couldn't hear a level difference when switching between between the two, because you are right, there is no output control on the RM, then sat my engineer friends down for a blind test. They all agreed that the RM sounded better, not a ton, but the soundstage was a bit wider, there was more detail in the mids. Everybody heard it, without knowing which one they were listening to.
I have, over the years, progressed, upgraded DAC from MBox2, to Central Station (pretty decent DAC for the price), to RME 400, to the Ross Martin. At this point, the only way I think I could get better would be to go to Lynx, Lavrey, or equivalent. The RM cost approx $250 with the upgraded op amps. It's a very good deal, IMO.
So you have to use the App to control volume with the RM? That kind of sucks. Wonder why he didn't include volume knobs.
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

If you look up near the banner (what a butchered website - jeez pay $50 for a Wordpress site) you'll see something that exactly I was hoping to see one day - an eight Chanel PCM 4222 USB converter with worrd clock, smux have a look. Price tba.
I'm guessing around the $800 mark?
Old 24th August 2013
Lives for gear

Here's the blurb - it's under "ear gear" not on the front page

More Ear Gear Coming Soon.
Adat™ Eight Channel PCM1794A Optical Playback and Eight Channel PCM4222 Recording interface
With Midi and Word Clock Plus S/MUX and USB. Price to be announced soon.
Old 24th August 2013
Gear Head

I have an PCM1794A USB 24/96 + TPA6120 Headphone Amp for sale if someone's interested. I have absolutely no time for audio lately, so why let it collect dust. PM me if you are interested.
Old 24th August 2013
Gear Head

To be clear, I used the Total Mix app to set the volumes when I was doing the A/B blind test. I believe the RM has internal pots, but mine was calibrated properly from the factory. I don't use the Totalmix for that purpose at all, now that the testing is done. I just use the DAC and like what I hear. The RME was good; the Ross Martin is better. Like I said, not a mind-blowing difference, but substantial enough that I am happy with my purchase and willing to recommend it to other Slutz.
Old 24th August 2013
Gear Addict

I also find my Ross stuff way better than my RME (but Multiface II).. not even close in quality. You can probably order multi-channel stuff now, and he can do s/mux.
Old 2nd September 2013
I got my PCM4222 a couple of days ago. It took about a month the get after I ordered it. I have done extensive tests in a very controlled environment and it is a very good unit. It's almost impossible to tell the different from the source and processed sound. I tried many demanding recordings.

Ross takes a day or 2 or sometimes 3 to answer questions which is understandable given the nature of the company. As everyone has said the website is terrible. On a scale of 1 to 10 the site gets a -10 but the converter gets a 10.

PS = the clock in the converter is very good. It is comparable if not better than the Black Lion clock MK2 Clock.
Old 10th September 2013
Gear Maniac

Interesting. It's been 2 months and I still didn't get my DAC. I'm not sure if the unit comes with a volume knob because my Fireface 800 doesn't... so basically I want to have a knob to control the volume on the TRS outs and Headphones. I was looking at some passive volume attenuators... but not sure which one would be the best quality (no degradation/ stereo issues, etc).
Old 11th September 2013
Lives for gear

Problems with Ross Martin dealings

I'm so frustrated! I ordered a pcm1794a from Ross, his wife, Mabry mixed up the shipping labels and set me someone's PCM422 AD unit instead. Eventually she got me the guys address and gave him mine and I shipped his PCM422 to him. The Fedex site says he received it last Saturday but so far mine has failed to show up and neither he or Ross are returning my calls and emails. I never got a reimbursement the shipping charge to the other guy that Mabry promised me either.
Their products may be very good but their customer service is terrible!
Buyer beware!
Old 15th September 2013
Gear Maniac

I hope you get it. I ordered mine 2 months ago and still no show, and when I asked about the status they pretty much told me "you'll get it when you get it" and didn't even answer my other question that I asked twice before. I don't know how they can be so busy. If they were so busy, why don't they play the game of "economics" and raise the prices to improve their income and workload. And while they're at it, why don't they get a proper website so people don't have to be so confused with what they are selling. I don't even want my unit anymore. I would have rather paid 2 grand and gotten a proper interface with great converters and preamps and called it a day.
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Nut

I've received my 'Super Beast' and it sounds great but I'm getting some noise in the left channel and not sure what the cause is. Anyone else ever have noise issues with these units? It's not very loud at all but quite apparent from the listening position. This occurs for any of the inputs whether it's optical or USB and becomes louder at 96kHz than at 44.1kHz.

I'm thinking it could be my amp but at the same time I had no issues with my apogee dac with the same amp. with the amp idling with no input (dac turned off) both speakers are completely silent, even with my ear close to the tweeter. Any suggestions? Ross is also having a think about it..

edit: one more thing to note is that the 10k log pot I had Ross add for the XLR output seems to have obvious channel imbalance - with the level right down to 0, i still get sound emitting from the left channel. Could this be the cause? The right channel also has sound but at a much lower level than the left.

Last edited by talon; 23rd September 2013 at 08:13 AM.. Reason: Because i'm the editor.
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Addict

If you know your output stage is causing a channel imbalance, I would definitely try to bypass that first and see what happens. Sounds like there's a good shot it's defective, and in that case it seems pretty likely a broken part is the noise source. Can you solder? I'd ask Ross how you can remove it from the circuit, and then either forget it or try installing a new one if that removes your noise.
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Addict

Maybe something was damaged in shipping to Australia
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear Nut

Nothing is damaged, the first thing I did was open it up to have a look-see. It was actually packed really, really well.

I've ordered some replacement pots (well, a 21 step 10k log attenuator) so will change it out once I receive it. I have a feeling that's the cause but will have to see.

Other than that, very happy with the sound!
Old 11th October 2013
Gear Head

Still have a 1794 Head-fi edition I need to let go for cheap...Anyone?
Old 15th October 2013
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by D3R1D3X View Post
Still have a 1794 Head-fi edition I need to let go for cheap...Anyone?
I PM'd you about this and you haven't replied?
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear
Just another bump for Ross and Mabry. Now that I've had my dac for a few days, I can comment better. I'm loving my dac. I came from midrange stuff like RME, Lynx, Redbox, Sound Designs (yes all of them) and this beats them all. Although none of those are bad, the RM is clearer, deeper, more open and has led me to go back to a few older mixes and make corrections. It's also a pleasure just to listen through.

The homemade 70s Hi Fi look is refreshing. Not important, but just nice. It reassures me that the price is low because compromises were made on looks, not sound. Just like FMR (which I also have!) Oh and also because they're not some greedy corporation which views service as an inconvenience on the lustful road to profit.

For all the people worried by how slow they are, I get it. I waited months, but it was worth it for the increase in quality I heard. Subtle but crucial. They're mom and pop, and if they had to hire someone to help out prices would go up. Maybe they'll have to in the future, but if anyone's in doubt, these guys were totally honest and honorable with me and their stuff turned out to be worth the wait. I think they're getting a bit faster though, they had some supply difficulties or something which they've ironed out.
Old 24th October 2013
Gear Guru

What's the average wait time after an order? I'm shopping stereo DACs. Are people getting burned or is he pretty reliable? Sorry just want the 10/24/2013 update if any exists.
Old 25th October 2013
Gear Maniac
my PCM4222 is such good value, it makes much if the the competition look like they should be wearing stockings over their heads

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search