The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross martin audio Audio Interfaces
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by transferpoint View Post
Hey guys I am wondering how this thing stacks up against a BLA Sparrow White mkII in terms of performance, price aside.

Thanks
I will say that I've gotten some of the most organic, rich and euphonic sounds from my Ross Martin A/D. He was fantastic via email with me and even upgraded me to the newest Texas Instruments opamp for free. I have absolutely nothing bad to say about Ross. I find his service nothing short of stunning and I knew all along that converters had absolutely not business costing as much as some do in order to get highly usable and professional results. In fact, I'm even considering selling my Aurora and going in a different direction.
Old 9th April 2013
I just emailed Ross and asked him how his converters stacked up, price-points aside. (I also offered him my web design services, lol)

I think, regardless, I am going to grab the BLA Sparrow White mkII now and hopefully later this year I'll be in the position to grab one of Ross Martin's devices for a 2nd rig I have planned for my home.

edit: I'm also interested in his (upcoming?) preamp. I cant tell if its available from his website.
Old 9th April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by transferpoint View Post
I just emailed Ross and asked him how his converters stacked up, price-points aside. (I also offered him my web design services, lol)

I think, regardless, I am going to grab the BLA Sparrow White mkII now and hopefully later this year I'll be in the position to grab one of Ross Martin's devices for a 2nd rig I have planned for my home.

edit: I'm also interested in his (upcoming?) preamp. I cant tell if its available from his website.
LOL - yes, please redo that site. Anything different and easier to understand would be an improvement. I love the guy to death, but that site is horrid. What are we in 1992 and using aol??
Old 10th April 2013
Gear Addict

Yes, transferpoint, the pres are available and ridiculously low priced for what you get
Old 10th April 2013
I spoke with Ross today via email, seems like a stand-up guy. I'm definitely going to get some of his gear this year.
Old 22nd April 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spice house View Post
Out of the box I'd totally agree with you. It was universally worse than my JW modified hd24xr in blind tests with 3 participants. Both circuits were direct coupled lme47910/20/40 into the respective converters if I recall correctly.

Out of the box I noticed there were subtle phase problems in the midrange. 'breaking in' did not help. I opened it up to find and INCREDIBLE circuit board with awful caps! Changed them out and poof, it was roughly equivalent, except with superior low end approx 40 and below, and superior extreme high detailing. After many op amp swaps and tests, the little bugger was incredible.

The extremely high quality circuit board, excellent design (direct coupling), and unbeatable converter chip means this little guy has the basis to become a beast that cannot be beaten by a retail item. However, right out of the box, it's not exactly the bees knees.

Ask Ross to 'upgrade' it to your specs, or do it yourself

edit: I should really add though, even out of the box, for the price, I can't imagine finding anything of that quality at that price point
Additional comments - the AD I purchased from him later used higher quality capacitors from what I could tell
Old 22nd April 2013
hey spice house, I'm having to put off the purchase of my Black Lion Audio White due to costs. We've been toying with the idea of a Red sparrow mkII for now and upgrading it later to the white. I was wondering how the Ross Martin stacked up to the RED Sparrow, have you used a Red Sparrow to compare it to the Ross Martin?
Old 17th May 2013
Gear Nut

Anyone receive any of their orders recently?

Looks great but tales of 5 month order time....:eek:
Old 17th May 2013
I just got my RM DAC - took about 4 weeks. Sounds pretty good. Great for the price.
Old 30th May 2013
Gear Addict

Ross has some pre-built dacs up for sale without a wait. Sale

s/mux stuff is on the way. he might be able to do 44.1 and 48khz adat now, but I'm not sure. his multi channel aes dac unit looks awesome
Old 8th June 2013
Gear Addict
Pre-built DACS for sale when he hasn't shipped mine from AUGUST of 2012. 10 Months...No DAC.

Lame
Old 9th June 2013
Lives for gear

These threads are very frustrating simply because they are a couple of years old and its clear that he has upgraded his components in that time and possibly his customer service is better.
I was hoping someone might be able to point me in the right direction here.
My interface is a mh 2882 which is fantastic but I feel limited to a mac which I don't like - I have on,y used macs but the fact I can't use anything else annoys me.
And I need a second unit.
So
A. Does he do a two channel adda?
B. does he do a 2 channel ad - and which one would be the suggested one
C. Same as above but for a da
D. Does it still HAVE to be the master clock or can it be slaved to my 2882 if required
Old 10th June 2013
Gear Maniac

Ross Martin Audio just can't get it together it seems. They never responded to my inquiry about the Silent Knight preamp. Anyone try it?
Old 11th June 2013
Gear Addict

I'm pretty sure the pre-built ones were a bit different than what you would have purchased.. 10 months does seem long unless it's a multi channel dac. Ross had trouble with getting support from one supplier regarding s/mux. He recently confirmed a new supplier for that part so things should speed up now. If it's a 2-channel, I'd email him with a noticeable subject line.

It's just him and his wife (who emails sometimes but she solders and is not his secretary) so he gets a lot more emails than is manageable. He doesn't advertise and I don't think he was counting on a Jim Williams recommendation. I think he's just working at the capacity he planned for all along.. I'm not sure why he hasn't raised his prices and I'm sure happy he hasn't reduced quality to work faster.

dogma,
a. read his site... but no, he has separate ad and da units but there are no two-way cables, so no advantage to having it in one unit.
b. of course.. you thought he's selling mono units? suggested? I think there's just one ad on the site.
c. I'm no op-amp expert but I do know he builds for the hi-fi market too so some may be more pleasing for listening than critical for professional application, but I do know the Gearslutz units use op-amps as per request for such use
d. AD's have to be master unless slave of another Ross unit. DA's can be clocked if you're not getting an AD

cserrano, yes I have the silent knight with Jim's PIP. It's really really great definitely given the price. straight up clean and accurate.
Old 11th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ds11 View Post
I'm pretty sure the pre-built ones were a bit different than what you would have purchased.. 10 months does seem long unless it's a multi channel dac. Ross had trouble with getting support from one supplier regarding s/mux. He recently confirmed a new supplier for that part so things should speed up now. If it's a 2-channel, I'd email him with a noticeable subject line.

It's just him and his wife (who emails sometimes but she solders and is not his secretary) so he gets a lot more emails than is manageable. He doesn't advertise and I don't think he was counting on a Jim Williams recommendation. I think he's just working at the capacity he planned for all along.. I'm not sure why he hasn't raised his prices and I'm sure happy he hasn't reduced quality to work faster.

dogma,
a. read his site... but no, he has separate ad and da units but there are no two-way cables, so no advantage to having it in one unit.
b. of course.. you thought he's selling mono units? suggested? I think there's just one ad on the site.
c. I'm no op-amp expert but I do know he builds for the hi-fi market too so some may be more pleasing for listening than critical for professional application, but I do know the Gearslutz units use op-amps as per request for such use
d. AD's have to be master unless slave of another Ross unit. DA's can be clocked if you're not getting an AD

cserrano, yes I have the silent knight with Jim's PIP. It's really really great definitely given the price. straight up clean and accurate.
Thanks for taking the time to reply - much appreciated. Re the silent knight. I contacted Jim about his PIP and its his high speed pre - just the PCB's though, I;d have to check. Remarkably good value. He said that they where mostly useful in upgrading Boards with better pres but you could certainly whip up a guerrilla DIY for next to nothing. Nice to have a gain with wire pre or two around. I'd like to replace all the pres with them in my 2882 but its impossible and I might as well buy a different interface... No free lunch huh..
Old 13th June 2013
Gear Addict
Quote:
Well...I didn't order anything custom or bizarre....Just a "standard" product right off his page. In the time since I ordered he's developed a few more products, built and sold those, built up extra units for sale, sold, built, and shipped units to people who ordered after me and has not responded to the emails I've sent asking for a refund.

I'm glad people are enjoying their RM products....I wish I could give a testament to how awesome they are. Instead I've got a worthless PayPal receipt and an 8 month old email promise that MY unit will ship "next week" after the parts arrive.
Old 20th July 2013
Lives for gear

Hello,

A question about Ross' converters.

Does he offer a DAC with a volume controller knob as well with headphones control (which I see he does) ?

Also, does he have a AD/DA all in one device ?

Also I don't understand what does the USB do on the converters, I assume there is no drivers (Asio etc...) with his converters ?
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Addict

Do you see an all in one on the site? He has a big list of all his products.

USB works with asio4all on windows with no setup.

No dac volume, I think in the interest of a simpler circuit path.. Bare Beast being one name
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Do you see an all in one on the site? He has a big list of all his products.

USB works with asio4all on windows with no setup.

No dac volume, I think in the interest of a simpler circuit path.. Bare Beast being one name
I really can't manage to understand nothing browsing threw his website, to be honest it's a total mess, here's how it's displayed at my place, I really don't understand what is what.

I can't manage to see a unit with AD and DA conversion on his website, also I don't understand what did you say here:

Quote:
Sorry, english is not my native language.

If I understood well, he is doing a custom made units, so if he can put an volume knob on a headphone amp, I guess he can do that too on the analog line outs ?

Also, I am not sure how stable Asio4All is.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Ross martin audio-untitled.jpg  
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Addict

Yeah that's it. Ignore the graphics and it's just a simple list. 4222 is adc, pretty much everything but the pres and headphone amp are dacs. His newest professional two channel dac is the Super Beast. The Gearslutz version is recommended for audio production imo.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah that's it. Ignore the graphics and it's just a simple list. 4222 is adc, pretty much everything but the pres and headphone amp are dacs. His newest professional two channel dac is the Super Beast. The Gearslutz version is recommended for audio production imo.
And I'd have one more question.
I got profire 2626, if I'd like to hook one of his DACs to PF2626 so I can use its drivers, seems that the only solution is a coaxial spidf right ?
Profire has optical spidf as well, I assume that's toslink, as I don't have experience with digital connections.

Thanks
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Addict

Yes toslink is optical, and you can use that or coax to route through your pf and its own drivers. It'll work great, just expect the long wait. You might want to order a multichannel unit because you might want to upgrade by the time it gets there anyways.. That said, it's an incredible product at a ridiculously low price considering the market.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yes toslink is optical, and you can use that or coax to route through your pf and its own drivers. It'll work great, just expect the long wait. You might want to order a multichannel unit because you might want to upgrade by the time it gets there anyways.. That said, it's an incredible product at a ridiculously low price considering the market.
Hmmm, my priority is DAC with a volume knob and a headphone amp, because I wouldn't like to have another device between DAC and my monitors, and right now I'm doing heresy, I got PMC TB2sa hooked up to PF2626, I clearly need a better DAC.

So what's the usual waiting time ? The thing is that my best friend is in the US right now and he could bring the thing to my place
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Addict

There's a headphone amp and volume for that.. for dac volume just control it digitally going into the dac. Wait time is months. You're getting a popular item though. It could be fast.. email and ask Ross.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
for dac volume just control it digitally going into the dac.
Thanks, and sorry for being pain in the ass, so you are suggesting me to control the volume from Profire control panel from Windows ?
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Addict

No problem.. I have never used a profire or its control panel, but if it's a mixer that always runs outside the daw, regulates all audio fed out the sound card, and saves its settings, then yes, you're better off to use that as your master volume control than adding another stage in the chain just to regulate volume. I'm guessing your power amp controls aren't accessible or you use active monitors.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
No problem.. I have never used a profire or its control panel, but if it's a mixer that always runs outside the daw, regulates all audio fed out the sound card, and saves its settings, then yes, you're better off to use that as your master volume control than adding another stage in the chain just to regulate volume. I'm guessing your power amp controls aren't accessible or you use active monitors.
Yeah PMC Tbs2a+ are active monitors, I have a pair of Adam A7x as well though, but I would use them threw profire converters since they are my secondary monitors... I kinda like to have hands on the volume control, wouldn't like to click and attenuate things with the mouse, that's why I would like to have volume control on a converter itself, I will definitely ask Ross if that's possible.
Old 21st July 2013
Gear Addict

yeah he's pretty flexible so may be he can add it in for you. If not, if you have a midi keyboard with knobs, or a control surface etc. maybe you could set up the digital volume with midi so you would have it accessible always.

and yeah it does sound like you need a dac upgrade with monitors that good.
Old 21st July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
If not, if you have a midi keyboard with knobs, or a control surface etc. maybe you could set up the digital volume with midi so you would have it accessible always.
Heallyeah I have! That's great idea! I should try that right away !
Old 2nd August 2013
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by effitall View Post
Well...I didn't order anything custom or bizarre....Just a "standard" product right off his page. In the time since I ordered he's developed a few more products, built and sold those, built up extra units for sale, sold, built, and shipped units to people who ordered after me and has not responded to the emails I've sent asking for a refund.

I'm glad people are enjoying their RM products....I wish I could give a testament to how awesome they are. Instead I've got a worthless PayPal receipt and an 8 month old email promise that MY unit will ship "next week" after the parts arrive.
They stopped answering my mails too. I ordered my ADC over two months ago and at that time they promised it to be finished in 4 weeks.. Why can't they just say how it is and not give empty promises. This practice just creates unnecessary frustration and anger.

Anybody been in contact with Ross lately?

EDIT:
I got finally e-mail from them. They're waiting to get some parts from the supplier and apologized the delay it has caused.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search