The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross martin audio Audio Interfaces
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear
I'm really curious about these.
Old 20th February 2012
Gear Nut

Got a DAC from Ross Martin the other day. Clearly better than my EMU 0404.
Not a bad looking unit either (the pictures on his site are not so hot)
Old 3rd April 2012
Here for the gear
Hi, anyone has an A/B comparison with this unit?
Old 3rd April 2012
Here for the gear

great little unit. took over a month to receive it. compared to my mr816x it sounds fairly similar out of my mackie mr5's. havent had a chance to hear it in other systems yet.
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

bump for a/b
Old 23rd June 2012
Here for the gear

bump for A/B esp the Apogee AD48KHz
BSD2000 where art thou?
Old 23rd June 2012
Lives for gear

Just order a PCM4222 literally this morning. I currently use the an Aurora16 going ADAT into an M-Audio Profire2626. When I get it, that plan will be to use its clock for the Aurora and the interface. I'll make sure to A/B the 2 with both my gf's voice and mine. I have an identical pair of JJ Audio modified solid state mics, a Daking IV pre and a Vintech Dual 72. Each having at least 2 of the same preamp, I can use identical mics and pres for capturing using 1 channel of the Ross Martin and 1 of the Aurora.

The only kicker is that to give us all identical performances to listen to, I have to clock my Aurora to the Ross Martin or vice versa, meaning, the outcome of the Aurora could potentially sound different/better that it does now with its own internal clock. I think I'm just going to do the test with the Ross Martin clock on the whole rig and call it a day.

I'll report back...
Old 6th July 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Hey guys. I have a 4222 ADC that just arrived yesterday.

A word of warning, these units are meant to be used as master clock source. It has 3 word clock terminals on the back, but to my surprise none of these allowed for clock slaving to my Hilo. There's master clock in, master clock out which only communicate with Ross's units. The third is a normal WC out.
Old 6th July 2012
Gear Maniac

please nms
Can you post results of 4222 on your AD/DA thread before sell ? I am very interested on this.
Old 7th July 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by manzini View Post
please nms
Can you post results of 4222 on your AD/DA thread before sell ? I am very interested on this.
Read between the lines man.
Old 7th July 2012
Gear Maniac

Sorry, maybe lost in translation.
Old 9th July 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Alright.. I took a few product shots for Ross of the 4222 ADC. The unit looks better than the previous pics would have you believe.

My turnaround time was under a month. I had no problems with communication at all and Ross has someone else assisting there now so I think communication should be better. Be careful about emails, if you're getting no response and have another account try resending there. As previously mentioned, it's not uncommon for new companies to take some time to get in their groove. While Ross is passionate about audio & building gear, starting a company to do it and running the business side is a new undertaking for him and he's getting better at it. It's a small shop accommodating an increased demand and he's certainly had his hands full. Things will only improve. This is not a guy out to rip anyone off and it sounds like he plans on being in this for the long haul.

I'm away at the moment but will get testing it and report back on my return.

Old 9th July 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Convicted View Post
Has anyone heard of Ross Martin Audio.

He has a 2 channel ad converter for $200, and a 2 channel Da converter for $300.
Using Lme49720/10 ICs Or OPA1611 ICs.

Any One have any feedback?

Looks Like a cool deal for s/pdif in and outs
http://members.cox.net/rossmartin1/i...es/Page318.htm

Global crisis raised the ad from 200 to 329.95$
Old 10th July 2012
Gear Head

Hi NMS, just curious if you did an A/B comparison between the Hilo and the Ross Martin PCM4222? Does the Hilo beat it sonically?
Old 10th July 2012
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lungboi View Post
Does the Hilo beat it sonically?
Well yeah, but that's a given!

Everyone keeps saying the Hilo is best conversion they've heard. The bar is high there and as nice as it would be to get that here at these prices it's not happening. I can't say much more til I get a chance to go over it next week.

Quote:
Global crisis raised the ad from 200 to 329.95$
I think the OP had those mixed up. The DAC is cheaper than the ADC.
Old 10th July 2012
Lives for gear

Apologies then.
Old 14th July 2012
Lives for gear

I received my Ross Martin DAC a few days ago.
This thing is the real deal folks.
It sounds absolutely fantastic, a 5 year old could set it up, and I quite enjoy its austere appearance.
Ross also put a decent little headphone amp in the unit that sounds nice.......

It took about 3 weeks for it to arrive, but Ross and Co. were courteous in keeping me updated via email.

All I can say is this thing was well worth the wait and REALLY worth the money.

Endorsed.

Thanks to Jim Williams for hipping me to this killer deal via GS.
Old 17th July 2012
Here for the gear

Curious if anyone has had trouble reaching this company through email before they purchased a product. Have been unsuccessful in reaching them with email for the last few weeks. Ready to buy something from them if they can respond to me. Wouldn't mind speaking to someone there either. However, there's no phone number listed on the site.
Old 17th July 2012
nms
Lives for gear

If you have a diff email address try from that. I've heard from him a few times this past week. What were you wondering about?
Old 17th July 2012
Here for the gear

Tried it from 2 different emails with two different providers. Not sure what's going on. Did you have any contact with him before you bought your unit? Initially I was trying to purchase an item on the sale link on the page. The item listed didn't have a paypal checkout button. Later checked back and saw another item on that link that did have a checkout button. Too bad it wasn't the one I wanted. Would be willing to pay full price for the items if a return email was sent my way.
Old 23rd July 2012
Gear Head

What perfect timing! I was just looking for a new DAC to bypass my MOTU
I just emailed him and Im ready to buy one of these!
Old 23rd July 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeGhost View Post
What perfect timing! I was just looking for a new DAC to bypass my MOTU
I just emailed him and Im ready to buy one of these!
Just keep in mind there is a waiting list for his products.
Old 23rd July 2012
Lives for gear

i have had nothing but great experiences with RMA.
their communication has been great via email and as i said before the DAC is as good as anything i have heard.

do not fear buying from them.
it takes a little more time and is totally worth it.
Old 4th August 2012
nms
Lives for gear

I have one brand new 4222 ADC for sale. I returned my first one which was set to the wrong BNC wordclock output voltage and just received the replacement unit this week. As previously mentioned, these units can NOT be slaved to an external wordclock signal. I refuse to use the RM as my master clock and slave my Hilo to it so I expected this would have to go. Your best unit should usually be your master clock source and for me that is of course the Hilo. These are better suited to someone who isn't already using a high end unit.

Edit-returned due to faults.
Old 13th August 2012
Hey Folks , Ross seems interesting to me but I have some question:

1. Can I Integrate more than 1 PCM4222 in my setup (FF800 Master, RME ADI8 via Lightpipe, Audient Asp 008 via FF Lightpipe in and FF WC out)?

Lightpipes are all used (except ADAT 2 out)

so there's only one SPDIF in for 2 channels of the PCM4222, right?

Any Ideas to integrate more PCM4222?

2. (Related question: There are WC in/out Bnc Jacks on the PCM4222 which can Sync Ross units together but are not usable as normal Wordclock..
How many of the PCM 4222 can you daisy chain via these ports till you run into problems?

and: Can you also sync a PCM1794 directly to it through these ports? )

3. On the DA Side: The DUAL PCM1794A 6x1x1 ROUTER More Ear Gear seems to handle up to 6 Channels of DA Conversion.. But how do I connect this thing to my FF800?

Via the one SPDIF out on the FF??

A solution?? Some extra Card with 4 Spdif in and outs ?? Then what about the clocking.. 4 PCM 4222 daisy chained to another 4 PCM1794A via these mysterious Ross WC in /outs? and all these synced via one WC out of the PCM4222 daisychained to the rest (FF800, ADI 8, Audient) ?

Make any sense?? ;-)

Cheers ,
Jens
Old 15th August 2012
Gear Head

YEAH BABY! I just placed an order for the Dual Bare beast! I'm so freakin excited that when I get it I'm to chuck a sicki from work!!
Old 23rd August 2012
Ross Martin DAC

Received my PCM 1794A DAC today (the "gearslutz" unit in 1U rack, with ADA4898 IC's+headphone amp) sounds really smooth, I can hear the details more precisely than on my Fireface 800, I tested the unit on some current projects, and I heard immediately what should be corrected. To tell the truth I don't have any experience with high end DAC converters, but this unit really sounds good. Buyers in EU be prepared, you will get the PSU without 220V plug(just bare wires in the end) but luckily I had some spares
Old 24th August 2012
Lives for gear
noiselab, that is consistent with my experience. I was also upgrading from low-end (MOTU), and am listening on Sonodynes in a fairly well treated room.

I received mine (PCM1794 USB 24/96 + TPA6120 Headphone Amp w/National op-amps) right at the end of a weeks-long mix project, and immediately heard stuff that needed more work. I was able to quickly fix up stuff that I had been fighting with for days & weeks. The veil was lifted, as it were. Stereo soundstage is exquisite.

If your cheap/pro-sumer DAC is your weak link (i.e. you have high end monitors & your room is in shape), these units are a damn fine bang-for-buck upgrade.
Old 24th August 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
noiselab, that is consistent with my experience. I was also upgrading from low-end (MOTU), and am listening on Sonodynes in a fairly well treated room.

I received mine (PCM1794 USB 24/96 + TPA6120 Headphone Amp w/National op-amps) right at the end of a weeks-long mix project, and immediately heard stuff that needed more work. I was able to quickly fix up stuff that I had been fighting with for days & weeks. The veil was lifted, as it were. Stereo soundstage is exquisite.

If your cheap/pro-sumer DAC is your weak link (i.e. you have high end monitors & your room is in shape), these units are a damn fine bang-for-buck upgrade.
This was similar experience when I changed my EMU 1820m to the Fireface 800, it was a shock, the AD's on the EMU are really good, but the DA is not. But now some years later I felt that the FF800's DA are not "correct" also, the low and high end is not clear thru the FF800. I have treated room, Adcom amps, Yamaha NS40m and customized vintage Electro-Voice monitors, so I could hear the difference immediately.
Old 19th September 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post

I 2nd that. Exact same experience! I just recieved mine today, bypassed my motu 828, was immediately impressed with how much more open my monitors were... especially when previously my expensive mackie monitors sounded like i was mixing in a shoebox. I always thought the monitors were like that! Not the converter... extra happy : )

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search