The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross martin audio Audio Interfaces
Old 16th March 2018
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
Talk to them and ask if they have anything ready, in stock... that's what I did and I got mine very quickly.
If this is true, then he is actively stealing other peoples money. Even more reason to take my business elsewhere.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear
It's really too bad. I got one of the PCM1794 units back in the day (2012?), I didn't have to wait *too* long for it, and I even sent it back in for service when a power supply filter cap failed, relatively fast turnaround.

I really like the DAC I have, and my interactions with Ross demonstrated that he's truly passionate about audio and making a high quality product, as well as being a kind and sweet guy. Seems like he got in over his head & couldn't cope.
Old 4th April 2018
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
I really like the DAC I have, and my interactions with Ross demonstrated that he's truly passionate about audio and making a high quality product, as well as being a kind and sweet guy. Seems like he got in over his head & couldn't cope.
Most corruption is incremental. It doesn't happen with someone setting out to do evil. It happens by making one decision under pressure, and then another for convenience, and then another out of necessity, until eventually, you end up taking months or years worth of people's deposits and not returning their phone calls. I knew a guy who stole $700k this way. He didn't realize he was a thief until he was arrested.
Old 4th April 2018
Lives for gear

I´d fly there, and recover my equipment. End of story.
Old 21st April 2018
Gear Maniac

I also got duped by Ross Martin Audio, buying a DAT with 2 headphone outputs and one stereo monitor output with coax.

My gripes with the unit:

1. The knobs are noisy AF and create a static noise when turning the volume up or down.
2. There is always some audio in the left speakers when on 0 volume. Then the audio pans left and right until you get it about 1/3 of the way up and it seems to stabilize.
3. There is a constant and very present hiss coming from the speakers and especially the headphone outs.
4. I opened the unit because there were little pieces of moving parts in there I could hear moving when I picked the unit up. There was metallic dust particles everywhere, and small pieces of metal, covering everything. They must have drilled the holes and left the particles in there without cleaning.
5. The wooden end cheeks are about 1/2 inch too big so it makes the unit look awkward with a wooden end cheek lips coming off the sides.
6. Customer service was horrible. Took about 3 months to get the DAC and almost no communication once I paid. I had to almost threaten them in order to get a response.
7. - Almost forgot. If I have my cell phone within 6 feet of the unit, speakers start making that weird trrrr trrr trrrr noise. So obviously poorly isolated.

This company is garbage and they make garbage products. Any cheap $50 DAC would be better than this POS with how uneven the channels are, the noise, the metallic particles inside, etc. Whoever recommended them are either fake accounts or just idiots, through and through. People are so dumb, I swear.
Old 21st April 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac_music View Post
Whoever recommended them are either fake accounts or just idiots, through and through.
Slowly. I'm neither fake nor an "idiot". My unit continues to work flawlessly to this day.

However, I have updated my review to reflect the new, apparently dissatisfactory situation.

Ross Martin dual pcm1794 w/ ada4898
Old 1st June 2018
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
On my 8 channel DAC there were internal pots I had to turn down to get the outputs to match my ULN8s. Was pretty simple.
Actualsizeaudio - did the trimmers in your 8 channel unit resemble the two white trim pots in my 2channel RM DAC (pictured) I’d Like to turn the outputs down a bit to match my other converters which are all calibrated to -18. I can’t seem to find any documentation on these units that would inform me about the calibration procedure.
Attached Thumbnails
Ross martin audio-64786750-9a44-4f10-a3c3-991c658f9636.jpg  
Old 23rd June 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHIRK View Post
Actualsizeaudio - did the trimmers in your 8 channel unit resemble the two white trim pots in my 2channel RM DAC (pictured) I’d Like to turn the outputs down a bit to match my other converters which are all calibrated to -18. I can’t seem to find any documentation on these units that would inform me about the calibration procedure.
Yep, those are them. I just simply sent tone through the unit and looked at th level on a very sensitive VU meter that I trust. Was simple.
Old 18th July 2018
Here for the gear

Hey guys,

I'm a little green when it comes to standalone converters. Can someone explain a few things about the Super Beast II?

Is there software/drivers available?

Has anyone tested with the new Macbook pro USB-C to USB-B adapter?

Can I hook it up via AES to a RME HDSpe AES? I would use word clock too for that right?

Thanks
Old 18th July 2018
Tui
Gear Guru

Study the entire thread carefully. I am not sure Ross Martin is still a reliable business partner - sadly.
Old 9th February 2019
Here for the gear

I live near Ross Martin Audio. A few years ago I purchased a Super Beast, an AES Eight, and a mic preamp. I picked them up directly from Ross and was able to meet him. He has a disability that limits the amount of time he can work per day. Some days are much worse than others regarding productivity.

Anyway, I am selling both the Super Beast and the AES Eight in the classifieds. If someone has wanted one of these, these are available for immediate shipment. They are both in great shape and hardly used.
Old 9th February 2019
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdome View Post
He has a disability that limits the amount of time he can work per day. Some days are much worse than others regarding productivity.
Thanks for sharing. This might explain at least some of his seemingly erratic behaviour. I always had a feeling he is a somewhat idealistic guy who is over his head with the responsibilities of running a business.

I still use my DA every day. It sounds fabulous and is perfectly stable. For the money, I think it is a marvel of engineering.
Old 18th February 2019
Gear Nut

Never received my unit. Sent a final desperate email, will let update this thread if he responds. Unless someone posts anything positive about recent orders I would still suggest people be very careful.
Old 20th February 2019
Gear Nut

Have received a response stating the order will be sent out. This has happened before though. If I do actually receive the order I will update the thread.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Addict

At this point ordering from Ross Martin or Lost Art Audio as he calls himself now would be a fool's folly. The guy just isn't trustworthy and should be avoided unless you're prepared to take on a massive headache.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search