The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross martin audio Audio Interfaces
Old 2nd September 2016
Gear Guru

If it's any consolation, it's been almost 3 years, and I'm still waiting on my Temperfect mug.
Old 27th September 2016
Mine sounded great until the day it stopped turning on... I didn't even care to figure out what happened... but I'll do it sooner or later.
Old 28th September 2016
Gear Nut

I just saw this thread and realised I'd totally forgot I bought a Ross Martin unit some 18 months ago. Never saw it. Buyer beware.
Old 5th October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeronimo View Post
Mine sounded great until the day it stopped turning on... I didn't even care to figure out what happened... but I'll do it sooner or later.
Ross fixed something for free for me - just paid to ship to him. He'll likely answer this type of email. He ignores questions asking how long things will be.

Got a Super Beast II DAC in September after about 6 months. He still lives. Still sounds incredible, as does the ADC, 8 channel headphone amp, and Silent Knight mic pre with Jim Williams' PIP chip.

His cases on the DAC look a lot better now with a single piece of metal for rack ears and face plate border.
Old 5th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by ds11 View Post
Ross fixed something for free for me - just paid to ship to him. He'll likely answer this type of email. He ignores questions asking how long things will be.

Got a Super Beast II DAC in September after about 6 months. He still lives. Still sounds incredible, as does the ADC, 8 channel headphone amp, and Silent Knight mic pre with Jim Williams' PIP chip.

His cases on the DAC look a lot better now with a single piece of metal for rack ears and face plate border.
Maybe I'll send it back to get fixed AND calibrated a little less hot in the outputs (it distorted pretty much any volume controller I threw it on)

Thanks
Old 5th October 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Maybe I'll send it back to get fixed AND calibrated a little less hot in the outputs (it distorted pretty much any volume controller I threw it on)

Thanks
I would have to check again, but I seem to remember that there's a jumper inside my DAC for reducing output levels. Did yours come with a manual?
Old 5th October 2016
Gear Head

Does anyone know if he's made any headway with his multichannel USB design? Has anyone had a chance to talk to him recently regarding these? He's had a note about it up on his website for a couple of years now, so I wonder if it's still something he's working on.

Last edited by gabasa; 5th October 2016 at 08:47 PM..
Old 6th October 2016
Quote:

Thanks
On my 8 channel DAC there were internal pots I had to turn down to get the outputs to match my ULN8s. Was pretty simple.

I ordered another 8 channel DAC in April. I received it in August. Not great but not horrible amount of time to wait (unit sounded amazing). I'm not sure why some people end up waiting for super long times and some do not. Sadly my second 8 channel DAC has stopped working. It is going back to him for repair soon. Hopefully it comes back in a timely manner.
Old 6th October 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actualsizeaudio View Post
On my 8 channel DAC...
How do his 8-channel units interface with the outside world? USB, ADAT, AES..?
Old 6th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
How do his 8-channel units interface with the outside world? USB, ADAT, AES..?
AES only. The one I have had for three years has been on every day as my main surround output box. Sounds as good as my Metric Halo ULN8.
Old 6th October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudein2016 View Post
Yes, I know there are people here who are successfully using their heavily modified but still ugly Ross Martin DACs. I would like to find a DAC I don't have to modify, and ships in less than a few years.
Very sorry for your trouble, and that does sound like a drag. However, you sort of discredit yourself with this last statement. I have an 8 channel DAC, and a stereo DAC that are not modified, and sound as good or better than any DAC I've ever had in here. You certainly don't need to modify them in order to get them to work well. In fact, I asked for my second 8 channel DAC to have certain modifications suggested by a certain tech who is very active on these boards. He did the mods free of charge, and of course, now that's the one not working, which might be why he doesn't make them like that in the first place. So, I agree with you completely about his business not being run properly, but to make your point stronger, you shouldn't resort to telling non-truths in order to make him look worse than he is.
Old 30th October 2016
Gear Addict

Ross has sold over a thousand boxes and said the same op amp mod that killed mine was what caused him real troubles. He had to use a hack so could not get money back on the parts and lost thousands. He cannot get a loan and has much slower sales now.
Old 31st October 2016
Lives for gear

ds, I'm not quite with you here, any chance you can elaborate?
Old 31st October 2016
Probably the Analog Devices ADA4898-1/2 opamps I specified for my original dual bare beast. They are current hungry and run hot. The single package is safe without heatsinking, the dual is not. I use a small dip heatsink glued on with Loctite 498 thermal adhesive. I've had those chips run reliably for years that way.

My Super beast II has the single 4898-1 opamps, runs fine. I did add huge heatsinking to the power supply and used Linear Tech regulators.
Old 31st October 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Probably the Analog Devices ADA4898-1/2 opamps I specified for my original dual bare beast. They are current hungry and run hot. The single package is safe without heatsinking, the dual is not. I use a small dip heatsink glued on with Loctite 498 thermal adhesive. I've had those chips run reliably for years that way.

My Super beast II has the single 4898-1 opamps, runs fine. I did add huge heatsinking to the power supply and used Linear Tech regulators.
Yep, he thinks one went bad in the unit he just sent me. I still need to get it back to him for repair. Too bad he didn't socket mount them.

However, he mentioned to me before that he used the ada4898-1's in the 2nd order filter and has a unit built like that that has been running 24/7 for over two years. That's what he did in my most recent purchase. He says it is the ada4898-2 in the i/v converter that was a real problem.
Old 31st October 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:

Hi Jim, your post got me thinking. Should I be concerned about longevity of my unit..? It is a "dual pcm1794 w/ ada4898":

Any advice would be much appreciated.
Old 31st October 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
ds, I'm not quite with you here, any chance you can elaborate?
lost thousands of [dollars], sorry.

Thanks for the added info Jim. Tui he said the duals have issues, so likely yes and perhaps just email Ross - he's good with responding to technical issues. Make sure those two little heat sinks stay on. They're the rectangles lined up with the word Beast in your picture.

Definitely recommend the Super Beast II as-is without the mod, though the old one sounded awesome as well. Definitely ran hot all the time unlike this new one.
Old 1st November 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Tui he said the duals have issues, so likely yes and perhaps just email Ross - he's good with responding to technical issues. Make sure those two little heat sinks stay on. They're the rectangles lined up with the word Beast in your picture.
I see, thanks.
Old 2nd November 2016
Lives for gear

Are these problems present in the PCM4222 ADC?
Old 3rd November 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
Are these problems present in the PCM4222 ADC?
No problems with my ADC, mic pre, or 8 channel headphone amp. To be clear Ross has stopped selling the version of the DAC with the op amps that caused the issue.
Old 5th November 2016
Lives for gear

Old 7th November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Hi Jim, your post got me thinking. Should I be concerned about longevity of my unit..? It is a "dual pcm1794 w/ ada4898":

Any advice would be much appreciated.
It looks pretty clean man. I cant see the underside or back to clearly but once can tell when someone was being sloppy and that doesn't look the case in the pic. Where the wiring is and underside would reveal more.
Old 7th November 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by omnialinx View Post
It looks pretty clean man. I cant see the underside or back to clearly but once can tell when someone was being sloppy and that doesn't look the case in the pic. Where the wiring is and underside would reveal more.
Right. It's currently sitting inside a rack all wired up, so I can't easily get to it to take more photos. I guess I'll make sure that it is always well ventilated.
Old 7th November 2016
My Super Beast II came with BurrBrown OPA1611/2 opamps, quiet but too colored for a reference DAC. I removed them and installed the ADA4898-1 opamps, it's been running great ever since. I left the BB parts in the variable output circuits as I don't use those. The analog voltage regulators were re-mounted to the rear of the unit with additional heatsinking extruding from the rear. That keeps them running cool and lets the internal heatsink used for the 5 volt supply running alone on that heatsink. Keeping these cool is required for a long life.
Old 7th November 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
My Super Beast II came with BurrBrown OPA1611/2 opamps, quiet but too colored for a reference DAC. I removed them and installed the ADA4898-1 opamps, it's been running great ever since. I left the BB parts in the variable output circuits as I don't use those. The analog voltage regulators were re-mounted to the rear of the unit with additional heatsinking extruding from the rear. That keeps them running cool and lets the internal heatsink used for the 5 volt supply running alone on that heatsink. Keeping these cool is required for a long life.
So, what do you make of the layout of my unit? Is there anything I could/should do?
Old 8th November 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
So, what do you make of the layout of my unit? Is there anything I could/should do?
The best course of action is to do what he did - beef up the heat sinking.

Sounds like a job for Jim Williams. Audio Upgrades
Old 8th November 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
The best course of action is to do what he did - beef up the heat sinking.

Sounds like a job for Jim Williams. Audio Upgrades
I'll have to think about that one... I live a couple of continents away.
Old 8th November 2016
I don't work on these, you need to do that yourself. I replaced my wall wort supply with a full wave torriod transformer design, it's now AC powered from the wall. That got rid of all the noise here.
Old 8th November 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
I don't work on these, you need to do that yourself. I replaced my wall wort supply with a full wave torriod transformer design, it's now AC powered from the wall. That got rid of all the noise here.
Right... That's not something I'd feel confident to do myself, though.

My unit is incredibly quiet, as is.
Old 22nd December 2016
Here for the gear

Actual measurements, or these're all lies.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search