The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross martin audio Audio Interfaces
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
wow..im sure a lot of people around here are going to disagree
I know haha...I am aware I may get flamed for this haha. Its from blurry memory though... But DA wise I do confidently think the Symphony, and the Hilo are definitely better in terms of fidelity. The Tascam probably too... but this is not in terms of details and beauty. Just like transparency/fidelity. I love the Burl AD and would not mind one for bigger than life tracking, which I think is its strength, but I do weight and depth with other stuff, so I am happier with a transparent set of converters.
Old 15th February 2016
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
wow..im sure a lot of people around here are going to disagree
Sure, because this is GS, "it's a Burl" and costs $xxxx.

Not a bad unit at all but in reality it's getting a bit long in the tooth nowadays and surpassed by a fair number of newer more transparent designs. The B2 ADC was always the better & more useful of the two anyhow.
Old 16th February 2016
Gear Guru

Also, the Tascam is the real deal. I keep saying it but it's true! I would call the UH-7000 the best deal in pro audio.
Old 17th February 2016
Gear Nut

Hey guys, just another update for those considering buying: I purchased a unit 8 months ago and have had no contact since.

I can handle the long lead time - i bought in full knowledge of the issues other people were having but the lack of communication is not acceptable.

I sent an email that literally said that I didn't care about the time frame and all I needed was an acknowledgement they had accepted my email - and still nothing.

Ross said in his emails (he was very good at communicating before I had made a purchase) that purchases helped "keep the lights on".

I don't think he's a bad guy and I'm sure his products are great. But it appears they are taking orders to stay trading when they don't have capacity to fill those orders which seems irresponsible.

I lost my cool and indicated I was seeking a purchase reversal but others have noted Paypal has a fairly short window for opening a dispute.

So unfortunately I've lost around $400 that I really could have used elsewhere.

If they start communicating properly and filling orders then I'm sure his products are well worth their competitive pricing. But until then - buyer beware.
Old 17th February 2016
I have a RMA Super Beast II. It was sent to me to replace an earlier Bare Beast that failed and could not be fixed easily.

It was sent out before some bugs were fixed, namely in the 1/2 wave wall wort power supply, it had residual hum. That can be tricky to design cleanly as I told Ross. I use one here to power my CD ref playback preamp, 1/2 wave wall wort design that has -120 db residual hum, quite good. With 10,000 uf mains caps and precision Linear Tech regulators, it's a very clean power supply.

I ended up removing the 1/2 wave power supply design and building in an AC powered full wave supply with a 30 VA torroid power transformer. The linear regulators were changed to Linear tech LT1033 and 1086. There were removed from the main pcb and that strip of aluminum used as a heat sink. I mounted them to the back panel with some heat sinks, it all runs cool and quiet now.

My unit was shipped with Burrbrown OPA1611 opamps, not my choice for a reference DAC, too colored. I replaced them with Analog Devices opamps. The low cost resistors were changed to Dale CMF50 non-ferrous metal film with a sprinking of Vishay bulk foil resistors.

It now sounds wonderful, an excellent reference DAC with a whopping -132 db dynamic range. I told Ross what it took to get it there. He's sort of stuck with 1/2 wave wall wort power designs as he wants to avoid electrical lab testing and certification, that can cost $15,000 per design to do.
Old 17th February 2016
Attn: Business Owners, Prospective or Otherwise

Aside from the occasional but very rare email server downtime, glitch, etc., there is absolutely NO EXCUSE to ignore your customers. In this day and age of high visibility due to the advent of the Internet and free speech over such a medium, it is in your best interest to do the right thing as a business owner AND as a person.

It literally takes less than a minute to respond to an email, and I don't care how busy you are, you are fully able to get back to each and every customer in a timely manner. If not, you don't care about your business, your products, and surely not your customers. I am a VERY busy person, yet still find the time to get back to all of my inquiries within hours; not days, weeks, or months.

I for one am getting fed up with this trend some manufacturers seem to be taking to, and vow to sell, get rid of, or throw away any associated gear, and never EVER purchase anything from those manufacturers again or even think about giving a recommendation on. There are better people out there I'd much rather deal with. For example, Chris Henderson from Hendyamps, just to name one off the top of my head.

Rant over.

Last edited by Aural Endeavors; 17th February 2016 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Old 17th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I have a RMA Super Beast II. It was sent to me to replace an earlier Bare Beast that failed and could not be fixed easily.

It was sent out before some bugs were fixed, namely in the 1/2 wave wall wort power supply, it had residual hum. That can be tricky to design cleanly as I told Ross. I use one here to power my CD ref playback preamp, 1/2 wave wall wort design that has -120 db residual hum, quite good. With 10,000 uf mains caps and precision Linear Tech regulators, it's a very clean power supply.

I ended up removing the 1/2 wave power supply design and building in an AC powered full wave supply with a 30 VA torroid power transformer. The linear regulators were changed to Linear tech LT1033 and 1086. There were removed from the main pcb and that strip of aluminum used as a heat sink. I mounted them to the back panel with some heat sinks, it all runs cool and quiet now.

My unit was shipped with Burrbrown OPA1611 opamps, not my choice for a reference DAC, too colored. I replaced them with Analog Devices opamps. The low cost resistors were changed to Dale CMF50 non-ferrous metal film with a sprinking of Vishay bulk foil resistors.

It now sounds wonderful, an excellent reference DAC with a whopping -132 db dynamic range. I told Ross what it took to get it there. He's sort of stuck with 1/2 wave wall wort power designs as he wants to avoid electrical lab testing and certification, that can cost $15,000 per design to do.
holy crap thats what im talking about ..so none of his converters do this? I was considering the super beast II
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

If anyone hears from Ross, please let us all know. I've tried his house # but it's disconnected. He also hasn't replied to any emails.

some of us have paid him and not received our products
Old 27th February 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by spice house View Post
If anyone hears from Ross, please let us all know. I've tried his house # but it's disconnected. He also hasn't replied to any emails.

some of us have paid him and not received our products
Does this mean my 4 ch A/D is worth more now? ;-)
Old 27th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
Does this mean my 4 ch A/D is worth more now? ;-)
Unfortunately it probably does
Old 27th February 2016
Quote:
holy crap thats what im talking about ..so none of his converters do this? I was considering the super beast II
That's what the PCM/DSD1794 chipsets can do in a dual cosine configuration (one dac for the positive, one DAC for the negative waveforms). It's within 8 db of perfect 24 bit resolution. The 32 bit ESS Sabre chipsets don't get that far either.

It's much more revealing than my custom Mytek/Mark Levinson reference DAC that I also have here. That one is an all current feedback design with a whopping 7000V/us slew rate and a 400 mhz bandwidth.

I didn't mind doing all that extra work to get it there as I do that here all day long anyway.
Old 13th March 2016
Here for the gear

Never mind, site is up.
Old 1st April 2016
Lives for gear

I finally had a chance to listen to the stock SBII and then work on modding it. I will say it sounds really amazing stock. I was honestly shocked how nice it sounded stock. I was then able to do a number of mods, very similar to what Jim was talking about and a few other things. I will say, these things sound really freaking great. I wish the SBII that I just modded was mine to keep. I also did some more mods to the PCM4222. That combo is really amazing.

Again, good things come to those who wait. Even if it is a extremely long time. haha
Old 13th April 2016
Here for the gear

Hi all, I created an account to share this story. Hopefully it will save someone. There are many, many stories like this one.

Part 1:

Last June I needed a DAC. I decided to order one from Ross Martin. Not ordering anything custom or modified, just his main product. He says in an email "the "super beast II will be a couple of weeks", but having read a few reviews saying how units can take some weeks to arrive, i made him specifically guarantee it would be delivered by August, 2015.

August comes, nothing.

September rolls around, so although I’m fuming inside, I send a gentle reminder email, no response.

October goes by. November goes by. No delivery, still completely ignored.

Part 2: 2nd deception

December comes, I send another email. I actually get a response the next day! Direct quote, spelling and capitalization included:

“we'll put your order at the top of the list to be shipped. we will be in touch soon with the shipping info.thank you for your [atience.”

Two more long months go by.

Part 3: FML

Finally, February is here. Ok, it’s been almost a year. Months of silence in between barely coherent emails. Between $400 and $500 on the line. This is craziness.

I contact Paypal. Nope, 6 months is when the buyer protection ends, so I can’t get my money back through that.

I lookup what county he’s in, and get ready to contact the court clerk to file in Nebraska small claims court.

I email again. No response.

I email Ross again and let him know I’m going to the court.

He instantly replies! He assures me that he “will get one out as soon as tested.”

…Not falling for that again. I tell him no, I want a refund.

Finally, he tells me he will refund me, but is insisting on mailing me a cashiers check. Now maybe this is just because I’m younger, but this seems fishy to me and i’ve never used a cashier’s check in my life, so I refuse. Considering I paid him digitally through PayPal, I don’t think it’s weird to want to be refunded that way.

We fight back and forth about it. What’s really interesting during this time in Februrary is that he’s responding to my emails pretty much instantly. I got 5 whole emails from him in a single day, it’s a world record!

Finally, it seems as though I might get a refund through PayPal.

Part 4: The final battle

At this point, I’m curious if others have had the same issues as me. After some googling, I felt like an idiot for ever having ordered from Ross.

It’s sad, really. One thing you might notice if you read people’s complaints about Ross Martin through the years is that there’s a common theme; all of his excuses include his wife, and there are a variety of weird excuses (some of them are related to a mysterious illness. if true, how incredibly inappropriate to bring this up with your customers—who you barely ever communicate with—in order to leverage pity and dispel any dissatisfaction).

I was wondering if I would get any kind of wife-related excuse, or sob story to coerse me into letting him keep my money. Sure enough, it wasn’t until the last phase in this epic debacle but I get an email stating his wife “went out today and spent the money on a GreenDot money pack card to fund the paypal account and when we tried to fund the account with it paypal is no longer accepting it. even though they have it listed as funding.”

What does this even mean? Why is it relevant that his wife ran this errand? What is GreenDot? Why doesn’t his paypal account already have money in it since he runs a small business with it? Why can’t he transfer funds from the bank account the payapl account deposits into, back into PayPal?

Finally, finally, finally, at some point, I did get my money back from that creepy loser.

Epilogue:

This person is a manipulative liar. For those of you who have emailed him, rest assured, he has seen your email immediately, he has simply chosen to not reply to you. Sarpy County for whom it may concern. I may contact the FTC and see if there's any steps I can take toward trying to get this "business" shut down. Ross Martin's practice is extremely unethical and probably illegal in ways. Just do some searching, there are posts like this all over.... https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11368990-post280.html

You may see reviews written in familiar bad grammar from mysterious accounts with only one post like this https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7438621-post16.html ....But if you read any actual reviews from real people, it turns out the units have poor/cheap construction, improperly soldered wordclock components, and buzzing/humming channels due to power supply issues, among other problems.

Yes, I know there are people here who are successfully using their heavily modified but still ugly Ross Martin DACs. I would like to find a DAC I don't have to modify, and ships in less than a few years.
Old 24th April 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by somedudein2016 View Post
....But if you read any actual reviews from real people, it turns out the units have poor/cheap construction, improperly soldered wordclock components, and buzzing/humming channels due to power supply issues, among other problems.
No, you cannot say that for a generalisation. My unit - Bare Beast DA - has never been modified but has been working flawlessly from day one. Construction is solid, and there is nothing cheap about the components. Sound quality is fantastic.

I posted a review here:
Ross Martin dual pcm1794 w/ ada4898

I am sorry to hear that you've had so much trouble with your order and getting a refund. It seems Ross Martin Audio is a tiny company - just 2 people - and perhaps they have taken on more than they can handle.

Refunds/Policies
Old 2nd July 2016
Here for the gear

@somedudein2016

Congrats for being persistent. I'm in the exact same situation you are. However, i'm up in Canada so i am screwed. Ordered my Superbeast in Dec. of 2014 and nothing ever came. Ignored all my last emails, and before that it was the same lame excuses, I cannot believe people still order off this guy.
Old 3rd July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post
@somedudein2016

Congrats for being persistent. I'm in the exact same situation you are. However, i'm up in Canada so i am screwed. Ordered my Superbeast in Dec. of 2014 and nothing ever came. Ignored all my last emails, and before that it was the same lame excuses, I cannot believe people still order off this guy.
wait...so .... you ordered in 2014?? and it never came??? you never got your money back??
Old 3rd July 2016
Here for the gear

Quote:
wait...so .... you ordered in 2014?? and it never came??? you never got your money back??
Correct. Money gone. The fact that someone had to threaten to sue to get their money back show the kind of man Ross is.
Old 4th July 2016
Lives for gear

You guys are Zen masters. Fly over there and come back with your money AND a dac for the inconvenience. Is not about the 400 bucks, is about no letting that <insert adjective> get away with murder.

Last edited by JulianFernandez; 4th July 2016 at 06:55 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 4th July 2016
Gear Guru

Adjective, not adjetive.
Noun, not adjective.
Old 6th July 2016
Lives for gear

i just dont get it .. how do you just sit back and loose your hard earned money .. have you contacted a legal consultant ?
Old 31st August 2016
Lives for gear

Has this business gotten any better? I wonder if anything has changed with them. I used to own their converters and they were amazing.
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Guru

I would recommend anyone to look at the DAC from Svart at RGO. I don't think he makes people wait like Ross Martin. It's also a custom, handmade product.
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
I would recommend anyone to look at the DAC from Svart at RGO. I don't think he makes people wait like Ross Martin. It's also a custom, handmade product.
Got a link?
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Addict
Pm sent
Old 1st September 2016
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Got a link?
Pm sent
Old 1st September 2016
Lives for gear

I've posted in this thread previously.

I feel sorry for those RMA "customers" who've lost money.

From what I can make out, the majority of people who placed and paid for orders eventually received the goods. It seems as though the lead time has blown out even further in recent times.

I waited..... and waited.... I think it took 8 or 9 months for my 4222 to arrive. I was getting impatient, and concerned, as the months rolled by.

I especially feel sorry for the people who placed orders oblivious to the long lead times. I was aware of the lead times as I'd been reading the threads here.

This is the clincher: potential RMA customers are not informed of the lengthy lead times - neither on the website, prior to ordering, nor by email after placing an order. This was the reality at the time I ordered, I'm unsure if this is still the case.

And similar to the poster above, I had very prompt and courteous email contact from RMA prior to placing my order, then absolutely no response to my emails subsequent to that.

It's a bizarre way to do business, isn't it?

If you've been screwed by RMA then, heads-up, don't read my next comment.

My 4222 ADC has been totally rock solid from day one, and it sounds fantastic.
Old 1st September 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
My 4222 ADC has been totally rock solid from day one, and it sounds fantastic.
Similar here... My dual pcm1794 w/ ada4898 is a total gem.

However...

Would I recommend RMA at this stage..? I am very sorry to say, probably not. RM seems to be a genius engineer and intend on making high-end, yet incredibly affordable products. The business side of things seems to be out of control, though.

On a personal level, I wish him and his wife all the best. I am very grateful for the products he made for me.
Old 1st September 2016
nms
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tui View Post
RM seems to be a genius engineer.
A genius engineer has a much stronger handle on his designs and flaws. I had two 4222 units. Both went back with problems which were easily revealed with basic tests. Distortion, noise, grounding stuff. The unit also lacked a most basic functionality - the ability to slave to external clock source (no way was I going to use it as my master clock!).
I grabbed it for a few extra channels of AD for synths. Returned them and grabbed an 828mk2 instead.

I guess one could say there are few "bad" modern day converters, but it's hard to believe anyone would be that excited about these things.
Old 1st September 2016
Tui
Gear Guru

My RM converter has been working flawlessly from the first day.

Extremely low noise - almost none, actually, when compared with my RME interfaces. Fantastic, detailed sound. Rock-solid linking to external clocks.

I gather the pcm1794 w/ ada4898 is one of his better designs. Still, it was incredibly cheap.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search