The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Ross martin audio Audio Interfaces
Old 26th August 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aural Endeavors View Post
I wouldn't expect it, and would inquire for sure.
...talk about coincidence!...just received an email with a tracking #...how crazy is that? (maybe Ross monitors this thread?)...

...anyway, ordered 6/22/15 and shipped 8/25/15...not too shabby!...I feel fortunate, after hearing previous lead-times...
Old 26th August 2015
Gear Maniac
Anyone got the answer to this question ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
I have one of Ross's 4222 A>D converters. It has a two position toggle switch labelled digital filter: position one is "low group delay", position two is "classic setting".

Can anyone give me a heads up as to what a digital filter is and how it affects audio?

Old 26th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by optionalanalogue View Post
Anyone got the answer to this question ?
Can't remember which position is which, but remember one of them sounded like a low pass filter to me starting maybe at around 8K or so with gradual slope, maybe 6dB per octave. Would never find myself using it personally. It's been a while since I heard it, so my guestimations are probably off. I just mostly remember not having a use for it.
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

That's interesting.

There's nothing about the labels "low group delay" and "classic setting" that implies these are settings for a low pass filter.

Last edited by Tubthumper; 27th August 2015 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: typo
Old 27th August 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubthumper View Post
That's interesting.

There's nothing about the labels "low group delay" and "classic setting" that implies these are settings for a low pass filter.
Yeah, I was just describing the sound of it, and that was the closest I came up with, but am guessing those terms come from the original documentation for the TI board the A/D is built off of.
Old 27th August 2015
Lives for gear

Thanks.
Old 29th September 2015
Here for the gear

Just thought i'd drop a note to say that Ross Martin is a fraud. Payed for a super beast LAST YEAR and haven't received it yet. Pathetic excuse for a business man. Don't buy off him!!!! You'll get ripped off.
Old 29th September 2015
Here for the gear

Just thought i'd drop a note to say that Ross Martin is a fraud. Payed for a super beast LAST YEAR and haven't received it yet. Pathetic excuse for a business man. Don't buy off him!!!! You'll get ripped off.
Old 4th October 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post
Can't you get your credit card to reverse the charge? You can do it within a year I think.
Old 5th October 2015
Here for the gear

Tried it with PayPal and my credit card company. They have a 4 month limit for some reason. PayPal has a 6 month limit. Both things I wasn't aware of. So I am screwed. Hopefully PayPal will put a warning on his account.
Old 5th October 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by djcarpentier View Post
Tried it with PayPal and my credit card company. They have a 4 month limit for some reason. PayPal has a 6 month limit. Both things I wasn't aware of. So I am screwed.
...when was your last communication with Ross?...you're not "screwed" as long as he makes good on delivering your converter...many who have waited as long as you felt it was worth the wait, but that, of course, is a personal judgement call...Ross can be painfully slow, but he's no crook (nor fraud)...
Old 5th October 2015
Here for the gear

On and off contact since day one. I'd like to see a list of people that have waited over 9 months. I've already requested a refund which he agreed to. Hasnt come through on that either.

Pretty sure that comes to the definition of a crook.
Old 21st October 2015
Gear Nut

I know people who've waited up to a year, what month did you order your rig, and what rig did you order? if it's true that it's taken OVER a year, it would be the longest i've heard yet, i never heard of someone not receiving their order eventually...

thats not an excuse for his ridiculous lead time, just an observation, i've been waiting since i ordered in late december 2014.
Old 30th October 2015
Here for the gear

Waiting as long as you. At this point i don't even want it anymore. Bought something else as waiting forever is not an option.
Old 31st October 2015
Here for the gear

good morning guys at this point im very disgusted and i'm very upset please don't support ross martin audio,the super beast 1 i bought had to be returned multiple times over 6 times then ross upgraded me to a super beast 2 that worked for a few days then died i also bought a pcm4222 which i sold on ebay i also had to return the super beast ii about 5 times all at my cost there is a problem with all the units he sells i spoke to him on the phone because i'd waited almost 2 years to get everything right and things were never right,while on the phone with ross he gave me a sad story about how he's doing it by himself with his wife's help and he uses the money to pay for medication which is why i bought the pcm4222 also he then told me that he feels bad for me having to return all the units so many times and all the money i had spent on shipping and packaging that i could just keep the broken super beast and not to worry about it,his exact words i should have recorded that call so fast forward i listed the broken super beast on ebay for parts or repair because ross told me he didn't want the unit back and also i would have to again pay to ship the unit back to him so while the item was listed on ebay i got an email from what seemed like ross's son maybe accusing me of trying to steal the unit i explained to this person what ross told me to keep the broken unit i got harassed so much i ended the listing but then a few weeks later i put the unit back up for sale and a person from nebraska where ross is stationed bought the item i knew exactly what ross was doing he basically paid someone to buy the unit from me at a really low price as soon as the unit arrived which was today the person emailed me and said this is rosses super beast and they're trying to open a case against me all i've dealt with from this guy for 2 years is broken unit after broken unit after broken unit and now this,a part of me wished i had recorded my conversation with ross to have proof of what i was told i can't see supporting this guy after this also i urge any and everyone to keep their money and invest else where.
Old 31st October 2015
Lives for gear

Dude send it to Jim Williams. He'll get it right as rain in no time. or actually better than rain. Its a shame about Ross.
Old 31st October 2015
Here for the gear

at this point i want nothing to do with ross at all im disgusted and also when you pay with paypal which is the only way you can pay you have a year to get your money back i think ross makes you wait so long that you can never recoup your funds from him via paypal i've never had a problem like this from any small company and i rarely ever post i usually read but this just pisses me off.
Old 31st October 2015
It is surprising how retail/manufacture folks just ignore you,
or are just plain rude on the phone.

I have a piece dead in the rack(3k) for a year.
No schematic,no help,tough luck.

Then a public call out on G.S. and suddenly help arrives.
Maybe we should have a "sticky" for brands to avoid?

We can call it "Sounds great,no service" forum.
Old 1st November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black kid View Post
good morning guys at this point im very disgusted and i'm very upset please don't support ross martin audio,the super beast 1 i bought had to be returned multiple times over 6 times then ross upgraded me to a super beast 2 that worked for a few days then died i also bought a pcm4222 which i sold on ebay i also had to return the super beast ii about 5 times all at my cost there is a problem with all the units he sells i spoke to him on the phone because i'd waited almost 2 years to get everything right and things were never right,while on the phone with ross he gave me a sad story about how he's doing it by himself with his wife's help and he uses the money to pay for medication which is why i bought the pcm4222 also he then told me that he feels bad for me having to return all the units so many times and all the money i had spent on shipping and packaging that i could just keep the broken super beast and not to worry about it,his exact words i should have recorded that call so fast forward i listed the broken super beast on ebay for parts or repair because ross told me he didn't want the unit back and also i would have to again pay to ship the unit back to him so while the item was listed on ebay i got an email from what seemed like ross's son maybe accusing me of trying to steal the unit i explained to this person what ross told me to keep the broken unit i got harassed so much i ended the listing but then a few weeks later i put the unit back up for sale and a person from nebraska where ross is stationed bought the item i knew exactly what ross was doing he basically paid someone to buy the unit from me at a really low price as soon as the unit arrived which was today the person emailed me and said this is rosses super beast and they're trying to open a case against me all i've dealt with from this guy for 2 years is broken unit after broken unit after broken unit and now this,a part of me wished i had recorded my conversation with ross to have proof of what i was told i can't see supporting this guy after this also i urge any and everyone to keep their money and invest else where.

Hey, I think some of this may be true but not all of it. My buddy actually bought the unit from you. It wasn't broken. He got it yesterday in the mail from you and went and grabbed a wall wart from his drawer and is now using it. He told me he loves it and it sounds great. I told him a few things to do to mod it and he has done those already. That unit was not broke because he is now happily using it.

BTW, he also has a number of FM modded 192's in his studio and TONS of other high end gear. He knows what he is talking about.
Old 1st November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
Hey, I think some of this may be true but not all of it. My buddy actually bought the unit from you. It wasn't broken. He got it yesterday in the mail from you and went and grabbed a wall wart from his drawer and is now using it. He told me he loves it and it sounds great. I told him a few things to do to mod it and he has done those already. That unit was not broke because he is now happily using it.

BTW, he also has a number of FM modded 192's in his studio and TONS of other high end gear. He knows what he is talking about.
Might this be the unit?
Ross martin audioRoss Martin Audio Super Beast II for Parts or Repair | eBay

I can vouch for Dan...nobody knows more about Ross' designs (besides Ross) than Dan...and few have done as much research on converter performance and build quality...Dan recommended Ross' converters to me and I've been very satisfied...
Old 1st November 2015
Here for the gear

i have no reason to lie yes that's the unit it had a usb problem and never worked right
Old 1st November 2015
Lives for gear

I really don't get what the heck is going on? My a/d has worked flawlessly for 4 years at this point. Ross was nothing but attentive and professional in my dealings with him. His units are fantastic. I waited I think maybe 3-4 months for what I feel is the best bang for buck Ive ever spent in pro audio. He updated me intermittently probably every few weeks as to where I stood in line. If his wife is ill, I'm surprised he hasnt stopped production completely. I truly hope everything gets sorted out, as I personally feel more out there should get to enjoy his equipment.
Old 1st November 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black kid View Post
i have no reason to lie yes that's the unit it had a usb problem and never worked right
I'm not calling you a liar. I am just saying some of the stuff you are "Thinking" is not as you think it is. Also, maybe the unit did work and it was operator error? Anything is possible. It is hard to for us GS guys who have been around for awhile to know what to think. You have a very low post count (11 to date) and they all seem to be negative toward Ross Martin. You also don't have any way for us to identify who you are or lend credibility to your situation. It all just seems pretty harsh.

Now, I know Ross has been taking a REALLY long time getting units out to people. It took a REALLY long time for me to get my units as well. For me it was worth the wait, specially for the money. I have compared mine to a number of high end converters and the RMA unit I have beats out most of them. It destroys all the competition that is remotely close to the price range.

I also know Ross is not good at communicating with clients and never is on web forums. So it is frustrating to be waiting on your gear and have no idea where it is or when it will show up. I do know a number of people who have gotten their products recently and are very happy with them.

I am not here to justify the wait time or the lack of communication from RMA. Those things are not good at all. I think RMA should raise their prices so they have a better profit margin and can then can better serve their customers. The products would still be undervalued in my book.

I like Slikjmuzik hope this all gets sorted out. The people that I know, who have RMA products are all very happy with them.
Old 2nd November 2015
Gear Head

I was very excited about Ross's 8-channel unit with USB. However, with Motu's 1248 and 16A units, Ross's have become less attractive to me. With Motu, you get top of the line Cirrus Logic ADCs, ESS Sabre Ultra DACs, monitor mixer software and thunderbolt, along with reliability and great service. Apparently it's all very well implemented. I spent some time reading posts on GS that compare these very favorably to Apogee's Symphony converters.

Ross's 8-channel ADC/DAC is currently $1305 on his website, without USB. Once he gets his USB version ready for sale, I imagine that the price will increase because it will be more expensive to build. Motu's 16A has 16 line level inputs and outputs for $1495 at Sweetwater. Is there any reason to wait around for the RMA unit?

Last edited by gabasa; 2nd November 2015 at 08:17 PM..
Old 7th November 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabasa View Post
I was very excited about Ross's 8-channel unit with USB. However, with Motu's 1248 and 16A units, Ross's have become less attractive to me. With Motu, you get top of the line Cirrus Logic ADCs, ESS Sabre Ultra DACs, monitor mixer software and thunderbolt, along with reliability and great service. Apparently it's all very well implemented. I spent some time reading posts on GS that compare these very favorably to Apogee's Symphony converters.

Ross's 8-channel ADC/DAC is currently $1305 on his website, without USB. Once he gets his USB version ready for sale, I imagine that the price will increase because it will be more expensive to build. Motu's 16A has 16 line level inputs and outputs for $1495 at Sweetwater. Is there any reason to wait around for the RMA unit?
How can you possibly read this thread and still question if its a good idea to buy Ross' stuff. You have a year to wait? Buy the MOTU
Old 14th February 2016
Lives for gear

any updates on the RM stuff- i would like a SBII but all this ^stuff scares me
Old 14th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
any updates on the RM stuff- i would like a SBII but all this ^stuff scares me
Just get a TASCAM UH7000. I used to own the RM Super beast a long time ago before going through Apollo Burl and Symphony. Great unit.... Now I own the Symphony and UH7000... The UH7000 has the same converters...amazing interface with incredible preamps built in.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyandres View Post
Just get a TASCAM UH7000. I used to own the RM Super beast a long time ago before going through Apollo Burl and Symphony. Great unit.... Now I own the Symphony and UH7000... The UH7000 has the same converters...amazing interface with incredible preamps built in.
you use it as a DA over Burl and symphony ?? and it sounds as good or better then the SB-MKII... im working with AD16X/Apollo and DA through Rosetta 200..just curious

Last edited by RightOnRome; 15th February 2016 at 04:18 AM..
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
you use it as a DA over Burl and symphony ?? and it sounds as good as the SB-MKII... im working with AD16X/Apollo and DA through Rosetta 200..just curious
No the symphony I chose over the Burl, as I found its AD and DAC much better and truer. The Burl was awesome too, but additively the width and transparency of the Symphony just sounds better and more high quality in my opinion...
The Tascam I got recently for a secondary location, however it has not replaced my Apogee Symphony in my main location. The TASCAM however is really damn good. I really don't miss my symphony at all when I work on the DC location. I wrote a thread on it here Simplified setup on second location. Loving ASTON as UH7000

So if you are going for the Ross Martin, id say give the TASCAM a shot... I personally I am not a fan of TASCAM interfaces, but was recommended to get that one and this one is indeed awesome. The new Apogee symphony MKII however appears to be the best DA on the market. I have not tried that MKII however. My memory of the Burl is blurry, but I would assume the DA in the TASCAM is also superior to the burl, and definitely a step above the Rosetta and Apogee in terms of fidelity.
Old 15th February 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
the DA in the TASCAM is also superior to the burl
wow..im sure a lot of people around here are going to disagree

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search