The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Yamaha or JBL monitors for electronic music? Studio Monitors
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Yamaha or JBL monitors for electronic music?

I plan on buying my first set of monitors and was actually led here by one of my professors.

I have narrowed it down to either the JBL LSR2325P or the Yamaha HS10m or HS80m
YAMAHA YAMHS50M 5" Monitor Speaker
YAMAHA YAMHS80M 8" Monitor Speaker
I found one of those links on one of the threads here, but those monitors for that price seems a little bit too good to be true so I'm very skeptical..
I definitely need low end, but live in an apartment so a sub would probably not be the best idea.

I plan on making electronic music, which unfortunately sometimes caters to guidos and or bros.

I'm just wondering which monitor would be better, I do not plan on getting a sub.
I see 199 each being doable, but don't mind buying the yamaha hs80m for that price in the link since it's way too ridiculous. But once again, I am wondering which monitor would be better for what I want to do (without a sub).

If I am completely in the wrong direction for the music I wish to make / produce then I'm all open to other suggestions.

My professor said that Yamahas were crap. So he didn't suggest the Yamaha's. But I've heard otherwise from a few of my friends so I'm not sure.
Old 13th September 2011
Hey man, welcome to GS. I figured I might chime in on this question before the onslaught of answers.

Approaching monitors with as a "which is better" mindset probably won't get you the best results. Instead, you might consider asking for opinions on the types of monitors you're looking at. Best is that you try them for yourself and formulate an opinion. But there is no quick and dirty answer to which monitor is best. Especially because the room you're listening in will make the same exact monitors react differently than they do for someone else.

There is no "best" in recording. I wish you luck!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoma View Post
I plan on buying my first set of monitors and was actually led here by one of my professors.

I found one of those links on one of the threads here, but those monitors for that price seems a little bit too good to be true so I'm very skeptical..
I definitely need low end, but live in an apartment so a sub would probably not be the best idea.

I plan on making electronic music, which unfortunately sometimes caters to guidos and or bros.

I'm just wondering which monitor would be better, I do not plan on getting a sub.
I see 199 each being doable, but don't mind buying the yamaha hs80m for that price in the link since it's way too ridiculous. But once again, I am wondering which monitor would be better for what I want to do (without a sub).

If I am completely in the wrong direction for the music I wish to make / produce then I'm all open to other suggestions.

My professor said that Yamahas were crap. So he didn't suggest the Yamaha's. But I've heard otherwise from a few of my friends so I'm not sure.
WTF?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yep.

Lost me as well.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Almost Fell off my Chair laughing at that ...

Unfortunately .. it's quite often the Truth heh
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

It was a joke. A true joke. In America at least.

Thanks for the response, professor said to try monitors out in the end. Time to go to stores to test some out.
But opinions welcome >_>
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I bought some Yamaha HS80M's, and although their sound is okay, one of them has had major electronic issues, so much so that it's unusable. Big waste of money. Don't do it.

I've had much better experience with Mackie HR824's, check them out.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
It was a joke. A true joke. In America at least.

Thanks for the response, professor said to try monitors out in the end. Time to go to stores to test some out.
But opinions welcome >_>
See if you can up your budget a bit and manage to pick up some Adam A7's. Not necessarily the A7X to save a few bucks if budget is tight.

I have a pair of Yamaha HS-50's with the HS-10 sub. They're fairly natural sounding. I've come to find that they sound very "middy" at times. I use them as secondary monitors for A/B at this point and use my Adam A7X monitors for mains. I'd recommend the Yamahas definitely, but how much they seem enhance the mid range is obvious when you side-by-side them.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

LMAO...!

We "micks" are feeling left out :( Of course we are usually too drunk to notice the difference, but on one of my sober days, I would say they are both good candidates but you should listen to them because they are different. hehhehhehhehhehhehhehheh
Old 13th September 2011
In my opinion JBL is superior to Yamaha. That's my opinion and thousands other will disagree with me and thousands of others will agree with me.

Long story short, listen to both in your own environment and make a decision based on that alone. Monitors will sound different in every environment their placed in.
Old 14th September 2011
I thought you might be interested in reading this thread:
Get the Focal CMS 65 and don't waste your time. - Gearslutz.com
Old 15th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razik View Post
I thought you might be interested in reading this thread:
Get the Focal CMS 65 and don't waste your time. - Gearslutz.com
Seems really awesome but I don't have that kind of money :C
Old 15th September 2011
I would probably go with HS50m instead of the HS80M than.
Old 29th November 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:

Did you ever end up ordering from this site? Def the cheapest prices I've seen... Got me thinking of ordering from there...
Old 19th February 2012
roc
Lives for gear

Quote:
Where's the joke, I don't get it . Why is it unfortunate ?
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roc View Post
Where's the joke, I don't get it . Why is it unfortunate ?
Cause Pauly D from jersey shore is a "DJ"
Old 20th February 2012
Gear Addict

JBL

The Yamaha's are pieces of ****. Don't waste your time and $. JBL's are real speakers. But you'd be best served by getting a REAL pair of monitors and learning how to use them correctly, ADAMS will change your life. Just saying.

Old 20th February 2012
Lives for gear
Event.
Old 20th February 2012
Here for the gear

I own the jbl 2328's with the 10 inch sub and thats what I'm talking about.

The 8 inch 2328's on their own put out a nice clear sound but once added the sub is a whole new listenting experience even in an untreated room.

I also have the event 20/20 BAS . Wickedly loud with 230 watt amplifier into their 8 inch woofers.

I believe event are soon to release a three way with 10 inch woofer , 3-4 inch mid and tweeter.

I'm into hip hop and electronic and the JBL;s do the trick for my ears.

God Bless
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search