The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Choice of the audio interface with 16 channels analog console Audio Interfaces
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Choice of the audio interface with 16 channels analog console

Hello everybody,

This is my first post on Gearslutz (!), I’ll explain my issue:

I used to have a very small and basic configuration with pro tools 8 LE and an Mbox 1 running on a 2008 Macbook Pro with Leopard.

Some months ago I decided to start building a small studio and bought a 16 channels Trident 65 analog console.

My initial plan was to also buy a used Digi 003 rack and add an AD/DA converter to it in order to achieve 16 channels and be able to start tracking and mixing on the Trident 65.

Nevertheless, two months ago, my 2008 Macbook Pro died and I was obliged to buy a new Macbook Pro.
This new Macbook Pro only supports Snow Leopard or Lion and in the meantime any Pro Tools version is compatible with both the Mbox 1 and Snow Leopard or Lion so I can’t use Pro Tools 8 anymore.

Then, given my situation I could either:

a) switch to a later version of Pro Tools 8 LE compatible with Snow Leopard or Lion (like the 8.0.5 if I’m not wrong), stay on my initial project and buy a used Digi 003 rack with an AD/DA converter ;

or

b) move to Pro Tools 9 and buy another audio interface capable to give me at least the 16 channels I need to track and my on the analog console.

My questions are then:

1) Which option would you suggest between the two?
2) In the case of option b, which interface do you think is best worth to buy?
3) In the case of option a (and maybe also b), which AD/DA converter would you associate to the Digi 003 rack ot to the other interface?

I would like to have a configuration which could last as long and possible and I have a limited budged and can’t spend thousands of euros on interfaces and converters, so please do not suggest high-end interfaces and converters.

Thank you very much to everybody for your advice!!
Old 13th September 2011
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like the Alesis idea also. My only issue with it is getting hardware support in case something happens. Does Alesis (or anyone else) still support it?
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you very much Jim.
Will it be possible to use the Alesis HD24XR with Pro Tools 9?
If I well understand I should use it as converter and rely it via the optical cable to an audio card linked to my computer. Am I right?
Sorry but I'm not very practical with this, which setup would you suggest?

Thank you again
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would upgrade to PT9. It is the future or PT for some good reasons. It will allow you to use any interface you want.

What is your total budget? Can you afford Lynx Aurora 16 channel? If not, you could go the Alesis route with a few different boxes that receive ADAT optical and interface with the computer via USB or firewire. The 003 would work, and would allow you invest more money in that external converter as well.
Old 13th September 2011
Here for the gear

Thank you for your answers.
Yes, I think that in terms of software it is a good choice to upgrade to Pro Tools 9 because it is the future of pro tools and because it allows to use other interfaces than the Digidesign/Avid ones.

Actually my budget is quite limited (1000 euros - 1500 euros maximum) and I think I can't afford a Lynx Aurora 16 channels that (if I'm not wrong) costs more than 2000 euros used.

That's why I was oriented on a Digi 003 rack coupled with an AD/DA converter but given the enlarged flexibility in terms of interfaces given by PT9 I'm now asking myself if other setups would be better than this one.

What I need is basically a good audio interface to work with PT9 with/and 16 in and 16 outs.

What about MOTU, Presonus or RME interfaces. Are they better than the Digi 003?
In case they haven't 16 ins and outs which good AD/DA converters would you suggest to couple with the audio card without spending thousands of euros?

Which setup would you suggest me in order to rely my Macbook Pro to the Trident 65 16 channels?

Thank you vey much for your help!!
Old 26th September 2011
Here for the gear

UP!
Old 26th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Alesis HD24XR.
The Alesis isn't full duplex?? How do you use it as an interface?
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

RME Multiface & HDSPE ExpressCard plus maybe a Focusrite Octopre (ADAT).

You could save a little by switching to Ardour from Pro Tools. There's also a Harrison mixbus version worth checking out.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundrick View Post
The Alesis isn't full duplex?? How do you use it as an interface?
Most of my tracking sessions are 12 inputs so I split the I/O. If you needed more inputs you could submix something like cymbals and toms just for the tracking session and open up some more inputs. After that you'll have16 outs going to the Trident and 8 inputs available. I have no problem because after the initial rhythm tracks are layed down I don't need a ton of inputs.

I use it with an Rme Hdsp9652 and PT9 and it works great.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search