The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
60's 70's analogue setup.. recommendations
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

60's 70's analogue setup.. recommendations

I'm interested in setting up a very simple analogue setup to record bands in a studio situation. I am currently in possession of some Ampex mic pre's Vintage RCA ribbon mics & an array of vintage instruments, like clav's, Wurly's, Rogers drum kit etc.
This should paint a picture of the sort of sound i'm into, essentially 60's Soul, Funk, Rocksteady & so on..

What I'd like to do is find a NICE & STURDY WELL MADE old desk & tape machine that I can use without to much fuss & without TO much regular maintenance.. HAppy to bring it back up to speed, but u know what i mean..
It doesnt have to be more than 8 channels (though 16 would be nice if i could afford the gear..) I have been eyeing off items such as the Neve 5442 desk & the Studer a800 1" 8-track, but I'm here to ask if anyone has any other recommendations to offer for me & what kind of budget would get me these 2 items in good shape..?
If anyone has gear for sale I live in Australia but I'd go to germany, the states, UK, whatever, & drag something back if it was worth it.. How bout an old helios or quad eight setup...... yeeeah.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

chandler

the chandler TG mini mixer looks like another thing i might be interested in for a console... though it is only a summing mixer with no direct outs so i'd be dropping everything down to 2 tracks at the recording stage. Musicians better be on point..!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

neve 542

anyone out there got an idea of a price range for a 16 channel (modded) Neve 542 desk? I love replying to my own posts!!!
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Keep and eye for a Scully multitrack, just for the visuals, although they were damn good machines anyway, I've always wanted one fo these babies...

Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru
Damn!!!
I've seen a lot of Scullys, but never one that looked like that!
The 12 track format never caught on.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I would buy this if i were in your boat..

FS: 1968 Langevin 8x2 Mixing Console
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Studer 089 maybe...? Oh, and a cheap way to add lots of "70's" tone is an Ashly SC-66A eq......
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I really like this Ampex 44b recorder I got a few months ago. It's a 1/2" 4 track. Like the one I recorded a nice sounding demo back in the 1970's. Ampex recorders are nice Gt
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
Keep and eye for a Scully multitrack, just for the visuals, although they were damn good machines anyway, I've always wanted one fo these babies...

Was this like the one Tom Shultz in Boston used?
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Head

thanks for the interesting responses, the langevin is nice.. keep em coming & if anyone knows a fair price range for the gear i mentioned please do tell.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Read this article about what these guys use , I think its what your looking for . Gabriel Roth: Recording For Daptone Records
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

And then read these:

Tape Op Message Board :: View topic - '****ty Is Pretty : Anatomy Of A Funk 45'

Not sure how much you'll learn of value, but it is on topic and you'll laugh....
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScumBum View Post
Read this article about what these guys use , I think its what your looking for . Gabriel Roth: Recording For Daptone Records
Pay a whole lot less attention to what they use and more to how they work.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Here's my deal...

Inglewood SoundBarn
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundbarnfool View Post
Here's my deal...

Inglewood SoundBarn
Looks like a cool place .
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
Pay a whole lot less attention to what they use and more to how they work.
Absolutely
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

yeh i visited that studio about 6 years ago.. & whilst gabe has a pretty loose attitude DIY towards the process of recording he also knows his Sh*t & has both ampex tape machines, rca ribbons & yes those ****ty is pretty tandy condensers etc.. I mean yeah use whatever works, but u still need the essential ingredients of a good desk & tape machines..period.. & thats where I'm at.. looking.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru
Quote:

Scanning past that picture I'm reminded of a couple places that had the 2 track mounted vertically. I HATED that. Gravity really worked against you when you had to edit!
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Head

inglewood soundbarn is definitely what im talking about.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Love the lounge! Soundbarnfool
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I just said this in another thread; honestly if you're looking for a sturdy and dependable tape machine, Chris Mara from Welcome to 1979 is completely restoring and refurbing old MCI decks and selling them through Vintage King.

They look great, come with a warrantee and are just about as close to a "new" tape machine as you will ever get. Made to order, from what I can tell. Pretty affordable too:

Multi-Tracks | Used | VintageKing.com

Have fun!
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbrowndog View Post
Studer a800 1" 8-track
Do you have a source for one of these machines? I just bought one and it is the only one I have ever seen. Otherwise, awesome studio concept! Good luck!
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:

whoa! I've never seen a such a machine...I am guessing this is a 12 track?

I used to have an Otari 1" 8 track and wanted just a few more tracks ...like 12
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm interested in setting up a very simple analogue setup to record bands in a studio situation. I am currently in possession of some Ampex mic pre's Vintage RCA ribbon mics & an array of vintage instruments, like clav's, Wurly's, Rogers drum kit etc.
This should paint a picture of the sort of sound i'm into, essentially 60's Soul, Funk, Rocksteady & so on..

What I'd like to do is find a NICE & STURDY WELL MADE old desk & tape machine that I can use without to much fuss & without TO much regular maintenance.. HAppy to bring it back up to speed, but u know what i mean..
It doesnt have to be more than 8 channels (though 16 would be nice if i could afford the gear..) I have been eyeing off items such as the Neve 5442 desk & the Studer a800 1" 8-track, but I'm here to ask if anyone has any other recommendations to offer for me & what kind of budget would get me these 2 items in good shape..?
If anyone has gear for sale I live in Australia but I'd go to germany, the states, UK, whatever, & drag something back if it was worth it.. How bout an old helios or quad eight setup...... yeeeah.
I understand the "idea" of wanting vintage analog gear, but unless you are a good tech, know someone who is, or have lots of paying clients, or just have healthy bank account, I would advise not going that route. I would stick with more modern and reliable equipment.

You just might be wanting equipment with Transformer Inputs/Outputs but just don't know it yet.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiogeek View Post
I just said this in another thread; honestly if you're looking for a sturdy and dependable tape machine, Chris Mara from Welcome to 1979 is completely restoring and refurbing old MCI decks and selling them through Vintage King.

They look great, come with a warrantee and are just about as close to a "new" tape machine as you will ever get. Made to order, from what I can tell. Pretty affordable too:

Multi-Tracks | Used | VintageKing.com

Have fun!
And Chris is a super great guy, and a GS poster! CJMNASH I think is his name here.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'd search out a tech in your area who has lots of experience with tape recorders, and see if they have a recommendation.

As for the desk, I'd keep it more sixties, which is smaller and better, imo.

Bruce Botnick, Sunset Sound 1967
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishmed View Post
I understand the "idea" of wanting vintage analog gear, but unless you are a good tech, know someone who is, or have lots of paying clients, or just have healthy bank account, I would advise not going that route. I would stick with more modern and reliable equipment.

You just might be wanting equipment with Transformer Inputs/Outputs but just don't know it yet.
hmmm, one could always spend the money on a UAD-2 product i spose.. But as i have no way to gauge the effectiveness of that sort of purchase in comparison to a tape machine I dont really know how useful it would be.. & for recording to a dAW i still think i would need a decent old desk.. the UAD 2 gear, if it was effective, could only really supplant the tape machine & some outboard gear.. dont u think fishmed..?
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Nut

A real console would be great and if you have the room/time/patience for real tape then go for it too.
If, like me- not- then probably closest alternative is the Anamod Ats1 (which i own and so far very much like) and from what i've read Burl convertors (which i want) would get you away from that digital sound.
I also sometimes track thru a summing mixer, but then i mostly just record myself- a whole band would be a challenge but then if Mr Spector could fit it all on 2 tracks why not?
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
hmmm, one could always spend the money on a UAD-2 product i spose.. But as i have no way to gauge the effectiveness of that sort of purchase in comparison to a tape machine I dont really know how useful it would be.. & for recording to a dAW i still think i would need a decent old desk.. the UAD 2 gear, if it was effective, could only really supplant the tape machine & some outboard gear.. dont u think fishmed..?
I was thinking more along HW with transformers, not so much SW plug-ins.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search