The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What are the pan controls on the D-Box for? DAW Software
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

What are the pan controls on the D-Box for?

I can't figure out what the pan knobs on the Dangerous D-Box are for. Where should they be set to make them act exactly like the other 6 inputs.

Is the default to have them panned hard left and right or at 12 o'clock?

What are the applications where you would need the pan controls and why are they only on two channels?

I haven't been able to find a good answer online or in the manual, so I was really hoping that someone could enlighten me. I'm just trying to figure out what the "point" or advantage is to having them. Thank you!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

dbox user here.

12 o clock is the "default setting" if you will. They are mono inputs. To be honest I have never used them for any panning as I typically use those inputs for my mono bass and mono kick (producing dance music). If I'm mixing a drum subgroup ill tend to put snare on a mono as well. I would imagine you can use them to hard pan guitars or drums ect. I typically leave any panning in the daw.

Being that the dbox is a "best of" kind of unit from dangerous, I'm guessing they wanted to pack as many features in the unit as possible. If you want to have them all stereo just keep em at 12 o clock and it should be fine. That positions should be dented so you'll know where it is.

Sent from my T-Mobile G2 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepspell View Post
dbox user here.

If you want to have them all stereo just keep em at 12 o clock and it should be fine. That positions should be dented so you'll know where it is.

Thanks. I use the d-box for mixing in stems (4 pairs).

The d-box doesn't respond at all to my panning moves inside of Pro Tools when the pan is set to 12 o'clock. If I send out a stereo track to 7-8 with the knobs of the d-box in the center, the sound is mono. It is only stereo when I hard pan 7-8 L and R on the d-box.

Does that make sense? So, shouldn't I be hard panning 7-8 L and R in order to use these two channels as another stereo pair of stems?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

If its working that way id say go for it. To be honest I only use those inputs for mono, never tried anything else. I can check it out on my rig later and see what happens

Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

The pans on the DBox work just the same as they do in the DAW. If you have a channel at 12'oclock then the sound would go to the speakers straight up the middle. The DBox offers 3 stereo pairs and 2 mono. 7+8 can be used exactly the same as 1+2, 3+4 and 5+6 if you hard pan 7 to the left and 8 to the right.

If you decide to stem out mono signals and use the DBox to set the pan stage for those signals then you could that with channels 7 and 8. You can also use 7 and 8 to shrink a stereo image.

In short, the pan knob does exactly what Pan does.heh You can send a signal to the left or right or straight up the middle or anywhere from 9'oclock to 3'oclock. If you decide to send two mono stems from your DAW you can do that as well and leave them straight up at 12'oclock.

By default for your use, 4 stereo pairs, leave 7 all the way to the left and 8 all the way to the right.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Basically, I think they are for mono sources so you don't have to use up a stereo pair, but of course you can pan to your heart's content if you want to. Say, Vocals out of 7, and Bass out of 8. It would be nice to have two more for kick and snare, but so be it, it's a lot of box for the dough.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post
The pans on the DBox work just the same as they do in the DAW. If you have a channel at 12'oclock then the sound would go to the speakers straight up the middle. The DBox offers 3 stereo pairs and 2 mono. 7+8 can be used exactly the same as 1+2, 3+4 and 5+6 if you hard pan 7 to the left and 8 to the right.

If you decide to stem out mono signals and use the DBox to set the pan stage for those signals then you could that with channels 7 and 8. You can also use 7 and 8 to shrink a stereo image.

In short, the pan knob does exactly what Pan does.heh You can send a signal to the left or right or straight up the middle or anywhere from 9'oclock to 3'oclock. If you decide to send two mono stems from your DAW you can do that as well and leave them straight up at 12'oclock.

By default for your use, 4 stereo pairs, leave 7 all the way to the left and 8 all the way to the right.
Thanks! I just wanted to confirm that I wasn't crazy and was thinking/using it correctly. I appreciate everyone's help.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonT View Post

Thx for confirming. Had no idea it worked that way. Noted

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search