The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
New console - not bad for $50 Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

New console - not bad for $50

Yesterday I received a 16-ch 70's Yamaha PM1000 that I bought from a friend for what comes out to around $50. He bought it off someone who needed some quick cash and offered it to me for what he paid when heard that I was looking around for a console. He told me that he believed there were some issues with it, but that he hadn't put it through its paces thoroughly. I powered it up and checked basic stuff and everything seems fine! It actually still looks pretty good too. I'm planning to recap the board at some point and do all the popular mods: direct outs on all the channels and mod the EQ on half the channels to the same center points as a Neve 1073. The pre's on the board sound really FAT and it will work perfectly as-is for 16ch analog summing. The only reason my friend thought there might be issues with the board was because the direct outs the previous guy had installed were done wrong and caused buzz when they were connected.

Being in South Africa has been a pretty bad console-wise. Everything is either in complete disrepair, on the other side of the country, or I can't find someone to actually test and/or restore them for me in my area. The best other deal I found was a 32ch MCI JH500C, which is complete overkill for my setup TBH. It's a long story, but getting to the point where it would be installed in my place, recapped, etc. would have worked out to about $9000 and a good number of serious headaches. The MCI's are, by all accounts, also notorius for needing lots of maintenance. I know it's probably apples and oranges, but the PM1000 will do everything I need it to do for now and allow me to learn some tech stuff that will come in handy, should I actually buy something else later on.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

My consoles so far... Alesis x2 for 110€ and Soundtracs Quartz 32 frame with 26 channels installed and a full wiring harness included... For about 230 usd. I traded the console for Art Pro VLA II and TC Triple C, both bought second hand.

The more difficult part is to get rid of them for any decent money... Don't have room for two studio consoles.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoaT View Post
My consoles so far... Alesis x2 for 110€ and Soundtracs Quartz 32 frame with 26 channels installed and a full wiring harness included... For about 230 usd. I traded the console for Art Pro VLA II and TC Triple C, both bought second hand.

The more difficult part is to get rid of them for any decent money... Don't have room for two studio consoles.
Oh, don't worry, I'll gladly take either the X2 for 110€ or the Quartz for 170€. If you're missing your Triple-C, I could trade that, too heh
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Mattheiszen View Post
Oh, don't worry, I'll gladly take either the X2 for 110€ or the Quartz for 170€. If you're missing your Triple-C, I could trade that, too heh
I bet you would. heh

For that money I'd rather give them to some youth organization or lend them to my friends indefinitely.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
I bet you would. heh

For that money I'd rather give them to some youth organization or lend them to my friends indefinitely.
Now that's just brutal.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

No,no,no!

If I look at the money actually invested, it's pretty much the same whether I get it back or not. If I can make people happy by giving it to a good cause, it would be worth more to me than the money "lost". That's the logic behind donating to be used by a nonprofit organization.

By lending it to a friend of mine indefinitely I still own the mixer, solve the space issue I'm having and help a friend out. It has a value in itself.

But to sell it to somebody for the same money I paid for it... I would not be giving away the mixer. By selling for less they are actually worth I would be giving away the possibility to use the money to buy something I need more than the said mixer.

Both boards were acquired the same way. I was being honest with the sellers and told them they could probably get more from them if they advertise more and / or better. Both were happy to get the space-eating things out of their hands without any further hassle and the price I paid for them. Both boards have started their lives as government funded institution's consoles. The owners I bought them had both had them for peanuts also. I could actually probably have had both of them for less if I would have the heart to bargain on the actual pickup situation. Both deals were negotiated before I went to pick them up, and both sellers knew I thought I was getting a good deal out of it.

Still, both deals were deals where everyone involved walked away happy.

Can a deal be better than that?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

A 26 input Quartz for free basically.....dear god, what is the world coming to. Nothing makes sense any more.......you must have smiled for weeks.....(probably still, every time you use it...)
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

You bet! hehhehheh

I drink my coffee in the studio nowadays just eyeballing it and thinking how I will set it up... A few scratches from the chairs during times, a few scratchy pots and a mute automation battery that needs changing. Other than that, completely functional and in very good condition. Even calibrated and still on the specs.

It used to belong to Finnish national broadcasting company and was sold to the guys I got it from just a short time ago. It has had a professional tech to look after it nearly all of it's life. heh

...come to think of it, I think I go to the studio now, put some coffee and music on and remove the mute automation board for cleaning.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Bloody hell, what a ridiculous gift. I reckon your Karma is good for sure....or it would have found someone else....

You keeping it standard or tarting it up with any new goodies inside? A nice man called Abe on this forum has a discrete opamp which is basically a 2520 sitting on a dip-8 base, so can go instead of a 5524 or other single amp......just waiting for a few to arrive to test in my desk. Looking to put some in my mic pre's and summing/master section........could be fun on that board of yours I imagine.......heh
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Bloody hell, what a ridiculous gift. I reckon your Karma is good for sure....or it would have found someone else....
This one sure had some karmic (is that even a word?) elements to it... It was advertized on a music bulletin board I check regularly. But in a section I normally would not bother checking. It was advertised on a PA / Live equipment section which is not my thing. And was probably still available because it is not a live console. To top that, it was under hundred miles from me, which in itself is remarkable as I live in a place so remote there's not much anything within hundred miles. And the guys were interested in trading and actually picked the two units among my trading candidates I would miss the least (I still have another Pro VLA and Triple-C was totally unnecessary to me to begin with as my TC M5000 handles the same functions with md2 anyway. Triple-C came to me when I bought a large pile of stuff as a bundle deal). And as an icing on the cake we just happened to have the necessary transportation already lend from a friend for another purpose but not yet returned waiting in our yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
You keeping it standard or tarting it up with any new goodies inside? A nice man called Abe on this forum has a discrete opamp which is basically a 2520 sitting on a dip-8 base, so can go instead of a 5524 or other single amp......just waiting for a few to arrive to test in my desk. Looking to put some in my mic pre's and summing/master section........could be fun on that board of yours I imagine.......heh
That sounds really interesting. Are those expensive? Do you have a Quartz too? If you have, could you tell me how you feel they improve / change the sound?

It's actually really early in the game still for me with this console, as I had it about a week ago and have been away from the house most of the time after that. I need to check the sound first as unaltered and do some comparisons against my x2 I recapped last winter. I'm uncertain if this board needs recapping too, but I think I'll be wiser once I have actually put it through it's paces.

I'm also contemplating on building my own moving fader / vca automation into the console. I tell more about that if you are interested once I do a proof-of-concept of it. It's based on old and inexpensive stuff I have laying around. There's also a Tracmix option available on studiosystems but since it's also ancient and vca only I check what I can do with the homegrown option first. If it works it would be cooler and more practical.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
No,no,no!

If I look at the money actually invested, it's pretty much the same whether I get it back or not. If I can make people happy by giving it to a good cause, it would be worth more to me than the money "lost". That's the logic behind donating to be used by a nonprofit organization.

By lending it to a friend of mine indefinitely I still own the mixer, solve the space issue I'm having and help a friend out. It has a value in itself.

But to sell it to somebody for the same money I paid for it... I would not be giving away the mixer. By selling for less they are actually worth I would be giving away the possibility to use the money to buy something I need more than the said mixer.

Both boards were acquired the same way. I was being honest with the sellers and told them they could probably get more from them if they advertise more and / or better. Both were happy to get the space-eating things out of their hands without any further hassle and the price I paid for them. Both boards have started their lives as government funded institution's consoles. The owners I bought them had both had them for peanuts also. I could actually probably have had both of them for less if I would have the heart to bargain on the actual pickup situation. Both deals were negotiated before I went to pick them up, and both sellers knew I thought I was getting a good deal out of it.

Still, both deals were deals where everyone involved walked away happy.

Can a deal be better than that?
Just kidding, I understand completely

I'm still waiting for my deal of the lifetime. Almost had it (on the same board you mentioned, I guess) when I was supposed to snag a Telefunken M15A in perfect working order for 150€. Offered to drive there to pick it up etc, and after the deal was sealed, the seller e-mailed me that he sold it to someone else because they offered 200€. I would have gladly paid more if he would've bothered to tell me about it, since 150€ was the asking price. Still kinda pissed about that one :D

And congrats to the OP as well, nice snag!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

No Quartz here, mine's a Raindirk Concord, but I have used IL's and Jade's a lot in the past. Makes me think what I remember plus some discrete api amps in the master could be a very nice desk..... I'll gladly let you know what I think of the opamps when I have some in the Raindirk......expensive? Well, depends what you call expensive, not really. He also does them as kits, which are dirt cheap.......check here:

AC Sound Kits and Parts

The auto sounds like a mad project....lol......I think the Jades had a form of Tracmix....which wasn't too reliable I remember.....always sweating that it wouldn't lose the plot before the mix was finished.......and it sometimes did. Wouldn't go there.....

P.S sorry for the sideways, OP....
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Mattheiszen View Post
I'm still waiting for my deal of the lifetime. Almost had it (on the same board you mentioned, I guess) when I was supposed to snag a Telefunken M15A in perfect working order for 150€. Offered to drive there to pick it up etc, and after the deal was sealed, the seller e-mailed me that he sold it to someone else because they offered 200€. I would have gladly paid more if he would've bothered to tell me about it, since 150€ was the asking price. Still kinda pissed about that one :D

And congrats to the OP as well, nice snag!
Yeah, the same board.. And I was actually on the phone about that same Telefunken too. A quite similar story about it, but I called him the next day only to find out it was sold.

Well, from that same board I have had a few other good scores as well.. But I practically live there. It's open on another window now as well. Good deals come and go fast.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Yeah, the same board.. And I was actually on the phone about that same Telefunken too. A quite similar story about it, but I called him the next day only to find out it was sold.

Well, from that same board I have had a few other good scores as well.. But I practically live there. It's open on another window now as well. Good deals come and go fast.
Ha, small world

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search