The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
it's a mistake!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
I spent some time in marketing earlier in my life, so I understand the concept of niche marketing, positioning, and such. Don't think I haven't rolled around those marketing concepts in relation to my music.

I'll admit, the great online DIY music scare of he late 90s had me going for a minute. In '96 and '97 into the early part of this decade I found myself making a sort of hybrid roots trip hop kind of thing that seemed to have some appeal at that moment and I racked up some DLs on the old Mp3.com, sold some on-demand CDs and such.

But I'm not sure I still (if I ever did) have what it takes to do the endless and shameless self-promotion it takes to stay noticed in today's market. And I certainly don't have any appetite left for playing live -- and that remains crucial to any real participation in the music business, like it or not.

But I'll keep your suggestions in mind.
apologies for i haven't expressed myself very well...

i haven't meant the activities to target a certain market position in order to move there...

no, i meant to create your own market.

that's the difference between the poor dogs, that are dependent on a&r's, labels etc.. who are forced to do what others do...

and to the stars who are successful and who are irreplaceable in their (created) genre who can charge premiums and who do not need to follow other's advice.
Old 14th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_007 View Post

i haven't meant the activities to target a certain market position in order to move there...

that's the difference between the poor dogs, that are dependent on a&r's, labels etc.. who are forced to do what others do...

and to the stars who are successful and who are irreplaceable in their (created) genre who can charge premiums and who do not need to follow other's advice.
Perhaps it would be helpful to think of it as simply: YOU and YOUR FANS.

That is all there is, nothing more, nothing less. No matter the strategy, they all come (or not) one-at-a-time.

And remember- this is a SERVICE industry. We sit somewhere between waiter and masseuse.

Just sayin'
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by James 'LA' Lugo View Post
I am personally never looking for the cheaper deal. Every time I save money I get screwed somehow. Either mediocre product, time wasted hunting it down or poor customer service. And that's not to say I haven't experienced those things when spending top dollar but I usually stand a better chance of coming out on top. Quality usually costs money.
You're playing my song James.
I couldn't agree more that in general, you do get what you pay for.
Life is like that.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonardo_007 View Post

Oh, I understood about creating your own market -- that's what niche marketing, and to some extent positioning is all about. Of course, you never leave the big marketplace of people who want to be entertained by music (and who hopefully might even be willing to put some money into the hat) but -- particularly in a crowded marketplace where so many of the content producers seem to be falling all over themselves trying to sound just like everyone else -- you can hopefully create your own niche by creating a musical product/style/image/package that is both enticing and different enough from other product in that crowded marketplace to develop its own loyal following.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by slaphappy View Post
Perhaps it would be helpful to think of it as simply: YOU and YOUR FANS.

That is all there is, nothing more, nothing less. No matter the strategy, they all come (or not) one-at-a-time.

And remember- this is a SERVICE industry. We sit somewhere between waiter and masseuse.

Just sayin'
I prefer to sit closer to the masseuse. That waiter makes me nervous.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Dude, buy the best one you can afford. You owe it to yourself.

You know, I've been on this site for almost a year, and the worst thing that can happen to you is that you become a cynical asshole. "All the new music sucks".. "There aren't anymore good analog synthesizers"... "All your dreams are crushed because of the Music Industry" etc. Just like that South Park episode with the "Tweens".

Just do your best and **** what everyone else thinks. No one really knows it all anymore, and you have to work it all out for yourself. When you do, you'll be successful (or at least have some focking GOOD songs to show for it.)
Old 15th September 2011

Quote:

Oh man, that cracked me up!

Keep up the fine work.
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:

Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Wow a lot of really interesting points brought up. My way of looking at things is I put things into 2 categories cheap and expensive. Cheap is anything under $200 and if its at all good or useful, I don't mind picking up cheap stuff. Anything over that mark I consider "expensive" and if I'm going for something expensive, I'll just go all out and get the very best brand I can that I want the most which will last a lifetime and I'll never get sick of it. If I have to save up over time to get it fine, but I'm not going to get something "expensive" which is mediocre.

For the thing about musicians home-recording vs. going to a studio. I think going to a studio is obviously what most would want to do, but its just too damn expensive for many people and that's NOT saying I think studios/engineers charge too much, its just saying that the financial reality of the situation ends up being that very few musicians can afford this, and its really nobody's fault.
It is VERY ****ing expensive to record and mix at a studio. Even 1 week costs WAY more than many people have. Not only that, but if somethings goes wrong, well, there goes your thousands of dollars of life savings down the toilet, no getting it back and you have nothing to show for it, except maybe some mediocre recordings that don't even adequately showcase the music or the performance capability.
Here's my solution. Get some basic home recording gear maybe even a very good quality recording chain. Practice recording yourself and your band, make sure you can consistently get the performances right. Of course make sure to find a good room to do this in. Since you own the gear, you have as much time and as many takes as you want. Feeling sick one day? No big deal, just come back another day. This way you can make sure to get great recordings, then take it to get it mixed professionally when you have pro quality performances down on "tape". In this day and age each band member should take it on themselves to learn how to record their chosen instrument, and have the gear to do it, just like they're expected to have good quality instruments for performing.

As far as success in the music industry, I have read some good points here. I have a question about this I wonder if anyone can answer. Has anyone ever noticed really talented musicians, who seem to get hardly any attention at all. I've consistently noticed many mediocre to horrible musicians/bands who seem mysteriously have all these followers/supporters. It kind of reminds me of Hitler, how the hell did he get all those people to buy into his crazy ideas. I really don't get stuff like this.
Then (this is here in nyc), I often see someone who is REALLY good, like exceptional, pro level quality inspired musician, and its like people don't even want to acknowledge them. Like they put on blinders, and try to erase it from their memory or something.
Maybe they are intimidated by anything greater than what they are capable of???

Its weird because you don't see the same thing at all in the world of sports fandom. People are so quick to kneel down and worship someone who can put a ball through a small hole where they could not, but the same tendency doesn't seem to apply to music.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search