The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
ART TPSII preamp and Stedman pop filter=$100 good deal? Single-Channel Preamps
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

ART TPSII preamp and Stedman pop filter=$100 good deal?

Now ive read that the stedman pop filter is hit or miss and i only have cheap Chinese pop filters, so this could be a step up from those.

And i have not found much info on the ART TPS 2ch pre, so im not sure if this is a good deal or not? I would def swap tubes and have my local electronics/techie nut look for a way to improve this starved-plate design from the schematic.

Any info on the pre would be great, and if this is a good deal.Thanks!
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Even a cheap pop filter is better than none at all.

As far as the TPS II, I have one and find it useable. It's not the best sounding mic pre out there, but it will work and give you a clean sound as a standard pre when not using the tube. If you want to use the tube sound, you should try it with the current tube then try to swap it out so you can hear the difference. Try it before you mod it!

I stray away from the limiter settings and use either straight and clean or the warm vocal or valve settings. You can get a much better preamp, but not for the price. Especially when you count having both channels!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

^agreed.

I have one and it's useable.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac
Oh, and one tip... if you have multiple pop filters and one doesn't cut it.... stack them in line and use multiple ones.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

Look into Vince at Audiopros in Watertown, MA modding the TPS. He does some really interesting stuff to it and the mod is super affordable. No I don't have one but have always been interested in his modded TPS and have hard good things.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search