The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
4 bass drum mics of all tastes, which one do you prefer?
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hi, These are the mics I use for the bass drum, I use them most often in this order:
Most of the time MD421.
Sometimes E902, D112.
Rarely Beta52
Do not know if its me or what? I do not want to get rid of any, gives me a feeling of anxiety just thinking that some day i could need the one that let go.
As a gear slut, I'd rather buy some more that serve this purpose, what do you recommend?
I use it with some good condenser outside the bass drum, it is rare not to record the bass drum with a couple of mics, some times with a sub kik also. Thank you.
Attached Thumbnails
4 bass drum mics of all tastes, which one do you prefer?-bass-mics.jpg  
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Sorry is a Sennheiser e602 not e902.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm not sure what you're asking..
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

sell everything but the 421 ,then use the money to buy a new Bock iFet7.
done deal
it will kill the shure ,112,etc.
Old 13th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

We have every major dynamic and dedicated kick mic in our Clipalator. All the ones you have are there for point of reference. I have to say the Heil PR48 did excellent and delivered sub bass nicely. Many are good though and its a matter of taste.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoundBadge View Post
done deal

not bad advice!
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
D112 works great for me and I've used all those. Live and in the studio. Its been a standard for a reason. I also like D6 inside close to the beater for metal or when any punchy/clicky kick is needed. u47 fet is my holy grail for outside kick mic but I dont have the cash for one.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

anyone tried the Milab BDM-01?

I remember hearing a clip of one of Michael Joly's modded mics that sounds fantastic on kick, but I can't find the thread. He would probably remember which it was.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I highly recommend an R-121 about 3-4' in front of kick, about the height of the top rim of the kick drum, aiming down at 30-45 degrees. Use a windscreen to be safe. This will sound totally different than your other options and will get quite a bit of snare and toms but A TON of HUGE sounding kick drum. You can move it even lower and closer for more kick relative to the other elements, just make sure it's not right in front of the port, cause even with a windscreen that may be risky. Personally, like it more about 3-4' out so it sounds more "poofy" and less hard like close dynamics. You can combine it and time align it with an inside or beater side dynamic mic for fat and punchy.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
done deal
roundbadge - iFet7 more than the Bock 195? Love to hear why - looking to buy one soon
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I wouldn't trade my e609 for about anything. I would agree though on getting an LDC or ribbon for outside the kick.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

iFet7 is discontinued anyway. (Right??) Bock 195 is what you'd buy, its in the ballpark of the iFet7 (fine, purists, it's different) but also has a bass response boost thing you can switch into the circuit or whatever.

as for the D112, sell it for $5 on craigslist, and MD421 on kick drum needs a lot of massaging in the way of EQ and supplemental mics to blend into the signal to make it work. and i always thought the new black ones sound scooped [in a weird, not nice way] anyway, always fiddling to EQ the f******. Maybe if you're only doing METAL the MD421 is BADASS. But I'd rather use an Audix kick mic for METALLL.

Heil makes amazing mics, my friend who does live sound loves them, I've talked to Bob Heil a couple times, the man's a freaking genius, try his PR30, PR 40, and PR48. The PR48 is a kick-specific mic, the others are all-application mics. There's also a short PR30 called a PR31. Same thing, just, ... ... shorter.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quite a few of the basics there. You could try an RE20 or on the other side of the spectrum the super scooped Audix. Use a ribbon as a distant mic? Start making tunnels out of blankets?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm surprised it took this long for someone to mention the RE20.

Get one.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

I can't speak to the others besides the Beta, but..

I recently did a session with big rock drums and came away with a real nice kick sound. Beta 52 inside the drum about an inch off the beater head aimed right at the point of impact. SM7b on the outside head, a couple inches away and aimed from off axis at the center, and a U-47 in the room thru a slammed Purple M76. Huge, warm, punchy all at the same time.
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

D112 is nice and simple, good close mic. If you want the big room sound of a full resonator head, I agree with those who say you need an expensive room mic out front, preferably a stereo pair, omni or figure 8. Royer SF-12.

Can you name a widely available recording that features a bass drum sound you like? Check out intro of Calexico's "El Picador".
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

El Picador, great track. I love me a bit of Calexico, great drum sounds, always spacious but hyper-real without seeming contrived.

I have been reading a lot of good things about this Stellar stereo ribbon mic modded by Joly, seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of those. Great to put out in front instruments
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

I used to put multiple mics in/out on the kick.
not as much anymore.
starting to hate the close mic'd internal kick sound w/ all the wooley low mids you gotta scoop out..doesn't sound natural or punchy to me.
lately using the Eric Valentine tip of just a D20 or re20 or my favorite fet47 [or currently Bock iFet7] about 3-5 inches in front of the hole pointing directly at the beater sometimes a pop filter
..not in a tunnel but baffled over a bit with some small 705 fabric panels for less cymbal stuff
eq to taste w/ something really good[api,neve or pultec in series]
maybe an ns 10 next to it for subs.
plenty of attack,full punchy sound with air around it.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

ATM25. And I agree about the Audix for METALLLLL
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Hey!!!

Thanks for all your advice, I will go the way of the ifet7, PR48, RE-20, for the moment.
I´m gonna try more a ribbon outside, i have a Cascade Gomez, i´ll give it a try, i use to use just condensors, any other ribbons fror under 600 for a nice kik drum sound?? Thanks
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Guru

Bock is reissuing a newer improved iFet.
Not officially released yet.
I'm using one currently on kick drum , svt/ 6x10 bass rig and Gtr amps
Combined w/ a 57 or 421 - sounds great!
I prefer it to the 195 which is great too.
To my ears Sounds bigger more open
Your low end will thank you
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've always gotten my best sounds with ONE mic. And that mic has usually been a D12, D25, D112 or 421.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've always been attracted to the transparency and elegance of a singe mic as well...
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

RoundBadge,
Any idea when that iFet might be reissued? Im right on the verge of buying a 195 but would wait if it's not too long.

Scott

Quote:
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicohm View Post
Hey!!!

Thanks for all your advice, I will go the way of the ifet7, PR48, RE-20, for the moment.
I´m gonna try more a ribbon outside, i have a Cascade Gomez, i´ll give it a try, i use to use just condensors, any other ribbons fror under 600 for a nice kik drum sound?? Thanks
my favorite three kick options...
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm a big fan of the Shure KSM313 ribbon (formerly C&T Naked Eye Roswellite), closely followed by the MD421. Between those two, I can cover a lot of ground/styles. And I'd rather EQ myself than leaving it to the mic.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru

I like the middle two in your picture. The e602 is super for modern rock, 421 (if not on a tom) with an LDC outside is a really classic sound. D12e gets a good bit of use, and sometimes I still use the ATM25 or Beyer TGX50.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Nut

I've been using an old electrovoice 666. I think I prefer it to the re20.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict
Quote:
Exciting, I like my 195 but I like words like "bigger" and "more open". I would consider the 195 to be a pretty big sounding mic but could definitely use more open.
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

The D12 is great for rock and the right kit. It's really not a formula that's why you have different flavors. I tend to record variations of rock. I say hear the music and decide what it's calling for. I try to really listen to all my gear so I know what to look for.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search