The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone ever get phlegm while performing? Multi-Ef­fects Plugins
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Anyone ever get phlegm while performing?

Happened to me the other night. I was singing and right as I went into the chorus of a song, bang, phlegm in my throat, and you could hear it. Kinda embarrassing. Anyone else share experiences?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Cut out dairy products from your diet
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Cameron View Post
Cut out dairy products from your diet
I'm was raised a vegetarian from birth, and on top of that, seldom eat dairy to begin with. If I do, it ends up giving me a lotttt of phlegm. I didn't the other night though. All I had was salad. I'm a very light eater.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yes. Not pleasant.
Worst is when you need to cough or something, and you have to wait, to strategically place the cough amidst the song lyrics.
A sidecar of whiskey will take care of the problem; used in moderation, of course.
Old 12th September 2011
Yeah - dairy is famous for it. But I also find other foods will trigger it.

Try not to eat before performing, and drink plenty of pure water.

A lot of water is lost from our body via the lungs. If our body is dehydrated, our lungs will try to slow down the water loss by producing more mucus.

Mucus is also a way our body removes toxins, and I suspect that some 'foods' our body identifies as toxic and tries to remove it, hence more inflammation and mucus.

I find that fried foods (the sort of **** that we all know we shouldn't eat, but often it's the only **** available at a gig apart from alcohol ...) can give this sort of reaction. Hardly surprising.

Alkaline-forming foods (not to be confused with alkaline foods) help to reduce inflammation and mucus. Some real lemon juice in water would help.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boschen View Post
Yes. Not pleasant.
Worst is when you need to cough or something, and you have to wait, to strategically place the cough amidst the song lyrics.
A sidecar of whiskey will take care of the problem; used in moderation, of course.
I'm not supposed, but I do, :P
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
Hydrate!! Boy, did I learn that when I moved to Colorado almost 20 years ago. Start hydrating LONG before the gig. On gig day, start off your day with a couple liters of water, keep having another liter every couple hours & have yourself (sorry if this is impolite discussion) peeing clear water by the time you get to the gig. Sounds extreme, but try it & I promise you won't believe how good you feel & how much more power you'll have.

Avoid fried, avoid dairy, pizza is kind of the worst thing. If you absolutely have to eat soon before the show (it happens), just make sure you brush your teeth, clean your mouth & hock a loogie before you start.

If you smoke, you should stop. Sorry, that's a bummer to hear but it's true.

Best one ever: right after dinner break on a wedding gig (inhale amazing prime rib dinner in about 6 minutes) we get back up & do the all-important first dance... "You are the best thing" by Ray LaMontagne -- singer hits the first chorus and chokes up a piece of meat right on the first "You aaaare*AACK*uuuggghhhhhrrrrmmmmnnn". Hilarious.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jruberto View Post
Hydrate!! Boy, did I learn that when I moved to Colorado almost 20 years ago. Start hydrating LONG before the gig. On gig day, start off your day with a couple liters of water, keep having another liter every couple hours & have yourself (sorry if this is impolite discussion) peeing clear water by the time you get to the gig. Sounds extreme, but try it & I promise you won't believe how good you feel & how much more power you'll have.

Avoid fried, avoid dairy, pizza is kind of the worst thing. If you absolutely have to eat soon before the show (it happens), just make sure you brush your teeth, clean your mouth & hock a loogie before you start.

If you smoke, you should stop. Sorry, that's a bummer to hear but it's true.

Best one ever: right after dinner break on a wedding gig (inhale amazing prime rib dinner in about 6 minutes) we get back up & do the all-important first dance... "You are the best thing" by Ray LaMontagne -- singer hits the first chorus and chokes up a piece of meat right on the first "You aaaare*AACK*uuuggghhhhhrrrrmmmmnnn". Hilarious.
LOL! That happens, except I have to cough.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I agree with the dairy comment. My vocals are heavily affected by any dairy I eat/drink for up to about 48 hours afterward. Also, I find that people who drink a lot of water between takes often have vocal issues too so I try to get them to hydrate 20min before singing and then take a big drink every so often (rather than the constant sipping).
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Oh, yeah. Especially outside during allergy seasons (which is why I'm down now). And decongestants unhinge me completely. I swing from the rafters for about an hour then fall through my ass.

That, and I just can't do smoking-allowed gigs. That just kills me.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Entertainer's Secret works great for that and also sore throats etc. Homeopathic spray developed by an ENT guy. Musicians Friend has it or eBay.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I recall singing backing vocals on a record date for the band I was in at the time. We had recently signed a deal with Mercury/Phonogram and were recording at Ardent in Memphis with Michael Cooper producing,(Con Funk Shun) and the great Ron Capone tracking us. We stopped the take due to my clogging. I advise caution when clearing your throat. It can kill the vibe and stop a session.

Bryant - Hames Music
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

I get phlegm all the time while playing guitar, I don't get the big deal about it
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

I think you can't separate your voice from the rest of the body. If you're healthy, your voice will be healthy.
Like it's been said, lots of water, a good diet and a good amount of cardio excercise. Eat something every 3 hours, fruit if you can. And sleep! You need to rest well always.
I've been doing that for 2 years now, I feel healthier, stronger and my voice is clear now, with increased vocal range, and have lots of air to sing.}

Just be happy, your voice will follow.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I had dog poo on my shoe one time...lucky it didn't get into my mouth before I had to sing...but before I noticed it the stage got a little weird...it took awhile to clean my pedal board. Some stories never get old.
L.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search