The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What is the best deal you ever got on a piece of slutty gear? Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 1st June 2002
One with big hooves

What was your best gear deal?

What was the best piece of gear you got for a steal? For me it's a toss between my A80MkII 1/4" deck for $350 and my Summit DCL-200 for $1399. While the Summit isn't exactly cheap, it was about half price and new in the box which made it a great deal. What have your lucky finds been? Any 1176's for $50 out there?
Old 1st June 2002
4 x Helios (black/classic) chanels for $2,250

My upstairs neighbor used to work at Rouge Music NYC and just spent 8 years working at a music gear s/h store in London, UK. The guys working there all have gear collections & deals you would die for.. U87's for $80, vintage valve Neumann 'baby bottle' mic's for $500 (+ a full set of 3 extra capsules) C12's...

I just bought 3 mic's from him

Beyer 201
Sen 421
Sen 441

For $675 ... thats a deal aint it Jay? How did I do there?
Old 1st June 2002
Re: What was your best gear deal?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
What was the best piece of gear you got for a steal?
I just bought a Studer A80 1/2" mastering deck (dual playback heads) with modified (A800) playback electronics in virtually mint condition for $200...

Rock.
Old 1st June 2002
High End Moderator

An Eventide DSP 4000, almost new for just under $ 1,000. Part of a deal selling a Sony Betacam.
Old 1st June 2002
Gear Head

3 EV 635As for $10 each, and a Gibson Southern Jumbo for $900 new.
Old 1st June 2002
Here for the gear

best deal

RCA 77-dx, $200

"put it in front of a kick drum? No problem!"

...and how many times has it visited the tech shop at AEA?

...only once. So far...
Old 1st June 2002
One with big hooves

Whoops. A guy I used to work with knew I was into recording and sound and he said he had a broken mic to give me. Turns out it was a Beyer M260. Total score! I sent it off to Stephen Sank for his 77DX mod and it sounds great. I've roasted it once on a bass amp. Rule of thumb with ribbons is don't put them anywhere you wouldn't put your own ears.
Old 1st June 2002
Lives for gear

Gates Level Devil $200... I felt like how god must feel when he buys a vintage compressor this cheap.
Old 1st June 2002
Here for the gear

i bought a vintage farm card for $50.
Old 2nd June 2002
Lives for gear

A pair of TLM-170's for 2000 aussie bucks!.

Love them

Old 2nd June 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
I just bought 3 mic's from him

Beyer 201
Sen 421
Sen 441

For $675 ... thats a deal aint it Jay? How did I do there?
That's pretty good. I paid $175 each which was a great deal for my 421's and I've seen 441's in the $300-350 range. That is really an underrated mic. I'd love to buy one some day.
Old 2nd June 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

$1500 for 2 Tubetechs together: a CL1B and an MP1A.

Back in 1997, paid $2000 cash for 40 Oktava MC012 and MK219 mics bought on-site at the factory in Tula, Russia, while on tour in the country (yes, the gigs on that tour were all paid cash). Sold all but 4 of the Oktavas a week later to a high-volume distributor for just under $9000.

Bought a pair of new Mackie HR824s for $800 in 1998; traded them in at another dealer for $750 two years and many mixes later (they did still look mint though).

You guys DON'T want to know what the 9000J cost me though.

Jon
Old 2nd June 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Actually, I heard from Ted (TC4252) from Oklahoma City that he got a great deal on his 72-channel 9098i console serial number 001 that is right now in his garage waiting to be installed. okk

Way to go, Ted! Rock 'n rollz !

Jon
Old 2nd June 2002
Lives for gear

C'mon Jon, you can tell us.

An awful lot of fun I bet!

rollz
Old 2nd June 2002
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

That's for damn sure!
Old 2nd June 2002
One with big hooves

The HR824's reminded me. I got one used from the repair shop for $150 because it was an abandonded repair. I got the other one new from a friend at mom & pop music store that somehow mangaged to end up with one. That one cost me $400. Not too shabby IMHO.

I can only imagine that 9000J cost new. I know what my ex-local (now out of business, good ****in' ridance) SSL room paid for their 4040G about five years ago. Scary money.
Old 2nd June 2002
Gear Addict

I traded a bed for a Vox amp (one of the solid state ones unfortunately) and a 61 strat. Later sold the strat for enough money to buy a U87 and an RME ADI pro, with enough left over to buy a decent single malt. Reality was that my 80's strat was a better guitar, as far as play ability, tunabilty and sustain. Take care Logan
Old 2nd June 2002
High End Moderator

...oh yea, a set of 4 API mic pre's in a homemade box for $ 400. One of the cards has serial number 009. Bought it 1988 and still use it everyday.heh

Got a pair of dBX 160 VU for $ 450 from the same source.

In 1990 I bought a set of 3 (three) U87s for $ 1800. Sold one of the mics for $ 1,400 the next day.
Old 3rd June 2002
Lives for gear

my best deal ever .... 4 Schoeps MK4G cardio capsules with bodies in perfect condition... approx 1500 $
Old 4th June 2002
Lives for gear

Hello everyone. Nice forum here.

First post.

Here's a few:

(2) Symetrix 501 @ $19 ea (New in Box)
Symetrix 564e @ $119 (NIB)
Sony DMP-M7 @ $199 (NIB)
Tannoy NFM6 @ $118 pr (New)
Aphex Compellor 320A @ $199 (NIB)
Hafler PRO1200 @ $59 (NIB)
MTG 71s w/2 shockmounts @ $220 (NIB)

and a bunch of other stuff, most of which I eventually parted out for (DOH!) PROTOOLS!

The one great deal that got away was the custom shop Les Paul Standard (Black w/cream binding neck and body / hollowed chambers ((making it lighter than my strat)) / perfect neck / awesome tone) that was PERFECT for $599 New w/case. I still kick my own @$$ for letting that one get away.

Sincerely,
Old 4th June 2002
One with big hooves

Damn, where are you finding those deals? I'd love to grab another 564E for $150. I paid a lot more for mine. Used even!!!
Old 6th June 2002
Lives for gear

Well Jay, unfortunately, I sold the 564E years ago, and now I want 2 or 3 again!
As for the how and where, it's kind of a long story and I don't want to be too specific, but...

(In a hushed whisper)

Once there was a huge music store in a fairly large Olympics hosting city in the south. A big music store chain decided to buy the independent out, lock stock and barrel. The big chain had a slightly different philosophy on gear and 'turns' and decided to liquidate all the offending 'high-end schmeg' to make room for more entry-level strats and stuff. I was in the right place at the right time and was fortunate enough to be able to somewhat take advantage of their liquidation.

I could probably make you sick with some of these deals. Like new Eventide H3000s for under $500, Les Pauls for under $500, some rather large Soundtracs recording consoles from $500-$1999... It was truly sick. Anything they didn't carry in normal stock was devalued and sold for pennies on the dollar.

I basically bought a nicely equiped project studio for around $1500... Console, hard disc recorder, dat, monitors, poweramp, effects and outboard, mics, headphones, racks, cabling, etc.
I roughed out a total list price value of what I bought and it came in at just under $50,000.00!

This kind of thing will likely never happen again.

By the time the 'Big liquidation sale' got out to the customers, the 30 or so store employees had pretty much picked the place clean. It was like Christmas, and there were guys going crazy with their credit cards, pushing around palletts loaded with all of the gear they were buying! Lots of pissed wives and girlfriends, and a few guys got themselves into some pretty serious credit card woes... But they could always just sell a piece or two to make that payment!

The chains corporate management was fairly pissed to say the least. Jobs were threatened, etc. Not pretty. But very rewarding!
Old 6th June 2002
There is only one

newest:
B&O BM5 $300 [not as good a deal as the guy i bought it off of paid for it at the goodwill... $20!]
Old 8th June 2002
Gear Addict

My day job is with a sound system contractor that does education/House of Worship type permanent install stuff. The company has been around for 45 years and was the Altec dealer from the stone age up until the Telex/EVI Corporate monster exterminated the Altec line. Shortly after being hired I was snooping around the dark and dusty corners of the warehouse and found a pile of green face Altec stuff. I found a 1612A limiter and a hi-pass lo-pass filter piece I can't remember the model of. I went to the boss ( who knows nothing of the market for 'vintage' gear) and offered him $50. He was happy to make the deal. I ended up giving the two to a friend who was the closest thing I had to a mentor in learning the art of recording. He is a big fan of funky junk like that and I had never done anything to thank him.

- Jon
Old 11th June 2002
Here for the gear

My best deal was a permanent loan of an M49.

I guy I used to play in a band with is a hoarder like you wouldn't believe.

One day in '84 he told me he'd picked up a few antique looking mics at auction. He'd mounted them on an overhead beam in his music listening room. I Didn't pay much attention at the time, 'cos I wasn't a gear slut then ! They looked nice though.

About 8 yrs ago when I got seriously interested in the recording thing, I called him up, and asked if any of those old mics worked, and could I borrow one for a while. He said to keep it as long as I like!

He took one off the ceiling, went rummaging around in a box and found a multipin connector that fit, and a power supply for it. After a bit of enquiring I realised what I had

It cost me about AU$300 to have it all put into working order at the local Neumann dealer. The AC701k is a little down on output though.
Old 11th June 2002
One with big hooves

Sweet. Now you just have to hope that he doesn't ask for it back. And if he does, offer to buy him one of those new MXL or CAD mics with some gold on it.
Old 11th June 2002
Here for the gear

Well I've had it for about 4 years now, so I'm feeling kinda hopeful..

Y'know, he's got two more of them.... and another mic I'm pretty sure is a dx77. I'm not game to push my luck though. I'm just going to sit tight with the m49
Old 12th June 2002
Gear Nut

you will never believe me

I know this is hard to take, but all of these are true.

1 Pair of original BF 1176's, 4 serial #'s apart, with the stereo adaptor. Never used. $300.00

3 Gates Sta-Level's. $50.00 each.

1 Neumann KM 84. $100.00

1 Pair of RCA 77DX's. $600.00

12 channel Neve Melbourne. $3500.00

1 Pair of Spectra Sonics 610 Complimiters. $150.00

5 Altec 639a "Birdcage" mics. $50.00 each.

Echoplate plate reverb. Free!

Shure Level-Loc. New in box. Free!

3 Sony C-37a tube mics. $1000.00

MinitMoog synth. $30.00

I will stop now.
Old 12th June 2002
Lives for gear

Bought 7 new sm57's for $59ea (Nadine's Music, 'bout 10 years ago, part of a package deal). A month later Shure had a $10 rebate for sm57's and I sent 5 in (maximum allowed), got $50 check from Shure.

About 5 years later I sold 3 of those sm57's for $70ea! So I bought new and sold used for $20ea more than I paid for them

Then there was:
Peavey VMP2, $375 used perfect cond. (6 years ago)
3 Sen 421's, $150ea
4 Sen 409's, $125ea
Orban 674A, $175
M20 Adats, $800ea, new in box
CADI for M20, $480
Big Atlas Mic stand (the top of the line one w/wheels), $75

Probably more that I can't remember. But the sm57's was always my favorite.

Fleaman
Old 12th June 2002
Lives for gear

Re: you will never believe me

Quote:
Originally posted by Lord Alvin
I know this is hard to take, but all of these are true.

1 Pair of original BF 1176's, 4 serial #'s apart, with the stereo adaptor. Never used. $300.00

3 Gates Sta-Level's. $50.00 each.

1 Neumann KM 84. $100.00

1 Pair of RCA 77DX's. $600.00

12 channel Neve Melbourne. $3500.00

1 Pair of Spectra Sonics 610 Complimiters. $150.00

5 Altec 639a "Birdcage" mics. $50.00 each.

Echoplate plate reverb. Free!

Shure Level-Loc. New in box. Free!

3 Sony C-37a tube mics. $1000.00

MinitMoog synth. $30.00

I will stop now.
Ok, so you bought these 100 years ago with 1910 dollars?

Fleaman

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search