The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Looking to put together 2 channels of classic signal path 500 Series Preamps
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Looking to put together 2 channels of classic signal path

I'm looking to put together two channels. Pre, Comp... Neve, API, Helios, UA?

I have a few bucks to spend and I thought now might be a good time to put something together. I'm into old school tones. What would you suggest? I've been out of the loop when it comes to gear so. Should I buy a pair of 1073s or something comparable. What are they going for now? 1176? HELP!!!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

If I had money to blow I'd fill a 6 space lunchbox with two of these:
AML ez1073-500 Mic/Line Amp/EQ
and two of these:
Bac 500

Doesn't get much sexier than that!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I'm into old school tones. What would you suggest?

Old mics, the right room, old instruments, and music that sounds like it was written in another era. Put the mics in the right places when recording.

You can stick any preamp, comp, and eq in that mix and it'll still sound old.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Depends on what you like.

To me, when I think of "classic signal path", I think of 1073 -> 1176, which is why I have this. Others may say API/Helios/etc... for the pre or LA2A/Distressor/etc... for the pre/compressor.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Very wise advice from UBK. I sometimes to get caught up in gearlust (as you could probably tell.haha) so it's good to be reminded once in a while that it goes deeper than the gear.

...of course, a couple Neve pres couldn't hurt.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
Old mics, the right room, old instruments, and music that sounds like it was written in another era. Put the mics in the right places when recording.

You can stick any preamp, comp, and eq in that mix and it'll still sound old.

Gregory Scott - ubk
I already do the things you suggested but I was hoping to invest in something I can use now and be able to get my money back in the future should I need or wish to sell. I also have a circle of friends who would be interested in renting a world-class front end for little dough.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm about to put together 2 channels in the 500 series format and have decided on the Vintech 500 series Neve clone preamp and the Chandler Little Devil EQ. Both offer "old school tones" but the EQ on the Devils seems like it can offer a bit of modern edge if you push it. Both the Vintech and the Devils are Neve-ish in tone, and you could probably pick up 2 of each for the price of a single 1073. I also have a UA LA610, which offers a tube pre/DI combined with an optical compressor and very basic EQ, and it can offer some nice vintagey tones.

Are you looking for a full strip with dynamics or just a pre + EQ?
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTByrd View Post
I'm about to put together 2 channels in the 500 series format and have decided on the Vintech 500 series Neve clone preamp and the Chandler Little Devil EQ. Both offer "old school tones" but the EQ on the Devils seems like it can offer a bit of modern edge if you push it. Both the Vintech and the Devils are Neve-ish in tone, and you could probably pick up 2 of each for the price of a single 1073. I also have a UA LA610, which offers a tube pre/DI combined with an optical compressor and very basic EQ, and it can offer some nice vintagey tones.

Are you looking for a full strip with dynamics or just a pre + EQ?
I'm sort of open to anything. I was hoping to put together a two-channel dream set-up (minus the Fairchild). Now seems to be a good time to buy gear so I'd like to take advantage while I've got the cash.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Could get some nice racked channel strips from a vintage console, SSL, MCI... MCI is some very vibey stuff!
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Gregory's post is on the money but - specifically what are you hearing when you say "old school"? 1940's Sinatra? 1970's classic rock? Lets narrow down the gear choices. (I assume you aren't looking to get a 19th century wax cylinder recorder... )
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

If I had the cash.....

Radial workhorse 500 series rack
2-Classic Audio VP26 pres (if you are unaware of these read some of threads here on GS)
2-Classic Audio 528's "The missing links" (search these up...brilliant tools)
2-API 550A's or two of the Electrodyne EQs for vibey color
2 Pete's Place BAC compressors (as recommended above)

Time to go make some money.....this rig would KILL!

After tracking I'd use the Radial for summing with the "missing links" and the Electrodyne EQ's on the output...with the BAC's inserted on a bus between the DAW and the radial's summing mixer.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Electrodyne is another old vibe sounding pre or eq. Very thick sounding.. The eq's are so sweet,inductor..mmmmmm
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Retro Instruments | Powerstrip Recording Channel

Tube pre & Pultec style EQ & RS124 style comp

Sounds very, very good. Very classic tone. Great bang for buck. Love mine. Can't get bad sound out of it.

Tape Op Magazine > Reviews > Powerstrip Recording Channel
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

My buddy suggested a dual Martech pre and a Tube Tech Compressor.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

How about something like this?

Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
You really can't beat the Neve 1073 with a UREI 1176 or a Tubetech CL1B. And they have fantastic resale. If you buy used you should be able to get all of your money back. And you will have a chain used on a majority of big records, you will have a sound thats there. You won't need to get caught up in the grind of searching for the next thing and reselling gear etc.

Get a used AMS Neve DPA two channel unit $2k and a UREI 1176 or CL1B $2k and change. Done.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by yotonic View Post
You really can't beat the Neve 1073 with a UREI 1176 or a Tubetech CL1B. And they have fantastic resale. If you buy used you should be able to get all of your money back. And you will have a chain used on a majority of big records, you will have a sound thats there. You won't need to get caught up in the grind of searching for the next thing and reselling gear etc.

Get a used AMS Neve DPA two channel unit $2k and a UREI 1176 or CL1B $2k and change. Done.
Everything you've said here is along the line of what I'm thinking. A world-class, classic signal path I can not only use while I own it but an investment I can get my money out of if I decided to sell in the future

One of my best friends is an engineer who won a Grammy last year. I asked him what he thought and this was his reply.

"See that's a tough question because it kinda comes down to what they are primarily going to be used for. I will say almost a million percent of the time I would use a tube tech CL1B compressor. Now if it were a guitar thing maybe just maybe I'd think about an La2a or 1176 ar API compressor. But tube tech would be number one. Now if I was recording a lot of vocals piano acoustic instruments the I would buy the martech dual mono pre. Followed by the neves and API stuff. Again if its guitar more heavy stuff maybe go with API, Neve or Helios. The big thing about the vintage thing is you really have to know what you are doing in terms of what condition is that stuff is in. I see people just refusing to believe it doesn't sound that good because its the holy grail of recording. But a lot of that stuff is pretty beat up these days. I would have someone you really trust look at any old **** and really spec it out not just grabbing **** untested. Oh and neve 1081s are every bit as good as the 73s but with better EQ. Any of those thing would hold or increase value pretty much all the time. When u find a great chain its the best though. Sounds so much better than all the other crap out there. I mean u really hear it in the recording. Good luck."

"I mean if you found two 1073s or 1081's that speced out that would be incredible. To me Tube Tech are the best compressors going today. Any of that stuff and or API and u are golden."

"I put the BAE in the solid B category. I'm always happy to see them if I'm in a studio without a Neve or API console. But I never heard one that after using it I felt like 'I gotta own this unit'. But it certainly would be a great piece for studio and probably closer to a more affordable expensive piece. Will they ever be considered classic? I'm not sure. It will hold value maybe go up, but not the way some others do. Another way to go would be to buy an API lunch box and a couple of the mic pre reissues. Then you could add as your budget affords. If you want to do a shootout with some of these, I'd be all about that."
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis View Post
I'm looking to put together two channels. Pre, Comp... Neve, API, Helios, UA?

I have a few bucks to spend and I thought now might be a good time to put something together. I'm into old school tones. What would you suggest? I've been out of the loop when it comes to gear so. Should I buy a pair of 1073s or something comparable. What are they going for now? 1176? HELP!!!
My vote would be a couple of racked V72s. Helios would be my second choice. A 1073 isn't what I'd consider "old school" in the classic sense at all.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pair of Neve 1272's

Pair of Lang PEQ2's or perhaps Pultec EQP1A's

Pair of UA LA2A's or perhaps an old 33609

- Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search