The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M-Audio Fast Track Ultra + external preamp?? Audio Interfaces
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

M-Audio Fast Track Ultra + external preamp??

Greetings!!

Ok, so I have been using the M-Audio Fast Track Ultra for a while and I really do like it. My only concern is the gain of the preamps. I have been reading on these forums and others that people are having a similar issue with low signals and that everyone (including me) has been cranking the gain to almost 80% to get a decent signal....

Bringing up the gain in the inputs comes along with a lot of noise. Even when I make my source louder, it seems i have to make it TOO loud to get the signal strength I want...

So my question is: Would I benefit from getting something along the lines of the DMP-3 external preamp and sending my signal through that and into the M-Audio FTU?

Are they better, stronger pres? I am worried they are the same preamps or too similar to justify getting an external preamp to boost my signal. I just feel like I am not getting the most out of my mics because I have to crank the gain knob too much for my liking...anyone have any thoughts on this? Much Appreciated!
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

ALSO: does anyone know if there is a benefit to getting an external Bass D/I box as opposed to plugging my bass directly into the first 2 inputs on the FTU?

thanks in advance!
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

bump
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Head

bump two

thinking about the same issue, wondering about getting a cheap DMP-3 before buying an FMR RNP...
Old 13th September 2011
im running a fast track ultra 8r and this is what ive done.
i use two presonus studio channels, and have trs out to trs in on inputs in one and two.(bypassing the octane pre-amps on the fast track). but you could also put them in in-puts 3-4 and gt 4 DI's because of the DI inputs on the presonus'. cant say much about the DMP-3 though

up grade the tubes and you get a great sound, would also look into art pre amps as well

a seperate DI box would do the same thing that the preamp DI's would do as well but without the tube sound. they mainly just increase the signal strength, but ive seen some that are amp modulaters as well.

hope this helps
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

at your budget buy that 'golden age project' preamp thing, it's apparently a very serviceable cheap Neve knockoff. Eventually on GS all newbie preamp questions lead to that suggestion so I'll cut to the gearslutz chase for us all.

Golden Age PRE-73 MK2 | Preamps @ ZenProAudio.com

it has a DI included

at your budget forget the upgrades. unless you 'want' them but whatever.

you can probably find it other places too but that's a good online store in my experience

this gets progressively trickier as you spend more. a really fancy compressor (a fairchild 670) is pulling in the 40 grand+ level of cash right now on ebay or whatever price it is these days.

original 1073 modules from the 70s are going for...****, who knows, 5 grand each? im probably wrong, i havent looked, but if they're not there yet they will be soon

'it's the sound of the transformers, man' -- quote from purists

Purists are correct.

and it's everything else too.

basically just do what you can afford and retrack things over and over til they sound good, you're in a home studio, you're not paying daily or hourly rates in a big room with an SSL.

oh and the benefit to a DI that's not your interface is that it will sound better. let's leave it at that.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search