The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Connecting balanced S-out gear to balanced M-in gear (via patchbay) Virtual Instrument Plugins
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Connecting balanced S-out gear to balanced M-in gear (via patchbay)

Hi, I wonder if anyone can help. Currently I have keyboards and synths etc running into a 1/4" patchbay, and also the Akai MPC which I record into.

Recently, the left balanced jack input on the MPC has gone dodgy. I'm planning on looking ito that - but in the meanwhile, I've realised I'm happier to record keyboards in mono anyway... I can just select "mono(right)" on the MPC when im recording.

I dont want to have to rewire the entire patchbay in mono. So I'm wondering how I would go about patching the left and right balanced outputs of the keyboards, to the balanced mono input on the MPC (via patchbay, or not).

I've seen Y cables that are 2 mono jacks>stereo jack. That might work in the patchbay to some extent, but it would lose the balanced connection. I want to take the seperate balanced left and right outputs of a keyboard, and have it go to a balanced mono input. I'm guessing a lead can't do that 'conversion'.

Thinking about it, this also goes for putting other instruments and mic preamps through the patchbay too?

I hope someone knows what I'm getting at, if so, can you clear this up for me? (heads gone in circles trying to figure it out).

Thanks
E

Last edited by Eclef; 11th September 2011 at 08:44 PM.. Reason: clarity
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
Ideally you'd want the output signal of the keyboard to be buffered for the optimal impedance match/lowest noise. That would require dropping a mixer with balanced ins between the keyboard the the MPC. The y cable would work, might introduce a little noise.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search