The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Portable preamps Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Portable preamps

Considering portable preamps for motorcycle bag storage to rehearsal facility. Is Really Nice Preamp (RNP) the way to go? Other possibility would be tracker in addition with the Sound Devices 788t.
Old 11th September 2011
I'm not understanding what you want this for ... "rehearsal"? Are you a vocalist who wants to bring their own mic preamp to replace the mic preamp in the console? Or are you recording rehearsals to a mobile recorder? Or what?

Context is everything ... if you want a mobile recording solution, I would not be thinking of a standalone preamp ...

How 'portable' is 'portable'? Does it have to run on 12V battery power?
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Context

I'd by tracking full band. 4 drums, 2 gtr, bass, vocals so I'll need 7 small preamps, one direct. Track at rehearsal place, fly tracks into DAW for additions / overdubs later. Preproduce material, maybe get some keepers too.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Agreed more details are needed but I use the BLA Auteur for mobile recordings.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi View Post
I'm not understanding what you want this for ... "rehearsal"? Are you a vocalist who wants to bring their own mic preamp to replace the mic preamp in the console? Or are you recording rehearsals to a mobile recorder? Or what?

Context is everything ... if you want a mobile recording solution, I would not be thinking of a standalone preamp ...

How 'portable' is 'portable'? Does it have to run on 12V battery power?
Exactly. There are MUCH cheaper options if you're just looking for a battery powered mic preamp (assuming your looking for mobility over fidelity)
Old 11th September 2011
If I had to do that gig, I would be looking at this:

RME: Fireface UFX

You can record directly to USB drive - with no computer!

It has 4 mic preamps on board, and I would probably buy their OctamicII to add another 8 mic channels:

RME: OctaMic II Preamp
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict

Heard that

I have 2 RME ADI units and DigiFace. But going even lighter, I considered the Fireface UC. I just need to do 8 at a time, that'll be good for live capture and preproduction. The UFX is cool though, no computer needed. I may just have to rack a couple 19 units for best quality, was trying to stay real small. But I can throw in an API 3124+ and get some killer tones, just at 19 standard.
Old 11th September 2011
It's not on the market yet, but i'm VERY interested in the Focusrite RedNet 4 ...

RedNet 4 - Mic preamplifier and line inputs audio interface

AFAIK it would allow recording to a laptop, over a single ethernet cable. 8 remotely controllable Mic preamps - ultra low latency.

Too soon to tell, but I like the concept.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

The Sound Devices 788T that you mention is all that you will need. 8 Great preamps and a recorder in one small package. Runs on batteries too. No computer needed.
Old 11th September 2011
A cheaper option might be a Zoom R24
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Cool

I may to go with 2 options. Since I'll mix OTB, I need the RME Fireface UC to get out USB2 from modern laptops. Feed Logic Audio or other out through UC to ADI-8 DS for 8 more, 16 total. Hit analog EQ, comp, sum mixer etc. And I could 788t track to get first cuts - rhythm section for example. We were tracking to laptops in 2002, still using similar setup. Love the idea of the 788t, may be upgrades coming, but tough to fit any more there.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
If I had to do that gig, I would be looking at this:

RME: Fireface UFX

You can record directly to USB drive - with no computer!

It has 4 mic preamps on board, and I would probably buy their OctamicII to add another 8 mic channels:

RME: OctaMic II Preamp
or Roland vs100 cheaper on sd card ....+you got a controller ...and of course a soundcard
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/VStudio100
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Focusrite Isa One, has a sweet little carry handle too
Old 12th September 2011
The Roland VS100 only has two mic preamps. There are plenty of recording interfaces and recorders with 8 or more Inputs - BUT - most don't have 8 mic preamps. Let alone 8 GOOD preamps ...

For some reason, there is a shortage of high quality portable recording devices that have enough mic inputs to record a band, or even just a drum kit.

The Sound Devices thing gets some bad reviews - I wouldn't go near it.

I'm hoping the RedNet stuff delivers ... looks very promising.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
If you mean the 788t, where can I read bad reviews? I have one and it is a fantastic piece of kit! Very high end, very professional, very rigid. And there is nothing like it in a similar form factor.
Old 12th September 2011
ISA One. You won`t find much better.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Roland VS100 only has two mic preamps. There are plenty of recording interfaces and recorders with 8 or more Inputs - BUT - most don't have 8 mic preamps. Let alone 8 GOOD preamps ...

For some reason, there is a shortage of high quality portable recording devices that have enough mic inputs to record a band, or even just a drum kit.

I'm hoping the RedNet stuff delivers ... looks very promising.
yep only 2 preamps ...as i just figured out he wanted several preamps ...well the best bang for the buck is the octacapture , with the nice autosens feature , rock solid drivers and extra low latency ....but no recorder as the ufx ....but for the price , it's wiked !!

PS : i have RME and a VS 700 (big brother of the octacapture) at home and i use the VS 700 and Fireface for on the go and i can tell you that the preamps are surprisngly good ...also i have an isa one : excellent but on preamp only
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

A pair of API 3124 fits in a small two rack space case and would provide you with eight awesome sounding world class mic preamps that will have excellent resale value when and if you ever decide to sell them.

I've been clearing out my warehouse recently and we have been trying out all sorts of strange preamps I've collected over the years, some expensive, some not so expensive. Sometimes an inexpensive preamp sounds ok in the moment but when I listen to the track a week later it sounds thin or tinny or lacks midrange and I am sad. When I use my API 3124 to track, the sound never disappoints. Don't underestimate the value of the metering on the 3124, it's saved me many times. The signal headroom of the API has also saved me many times where lesser preamps would have run out of gas and clipped.

I also have a couple of original API 312 cards that are racked into standalone preamps and these sound very good too, though not night and day different than the newer 3124.

I use Apogee converters, a Neve 8804/8816 and Meyer monitors in my mixing room.

The API preamps cost more than most of what people are recommending but the sound is great and if you buy them right in the first place and take good care of them for a few years of use you can get all your money back out of the purchase when your sell them. Not much Focusrite gear that can do that.

Best of luck to you with your purchase.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

There is a lot of nonsense in that Chris Durfy blog. Most of the "issues" he mentioned have been resolved by firmware updates a long time ago now, like the fader delay, the VU meter (you can calibrate it now), the pan L/R, the routing, the hear-say lockups. Also, I have not found problems with power hungryness or overheating. Compared to the boxes people suggest in this thread the 788t is in a totally different quality league and it has the most perfect form factor that the OP could use: an entire recording studio that fits in the bags of his motorcycle.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yea, the SD stuff is top notch. Just look in the mobile and post forums, and see what the folks winning awards are using for their mobile rigs: SD and Nagra, almost all down the line.
I use a Grace lunatec and my MBP; love it.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Addict

Good info

I will probably go the 2 routes. I plan on possible motorcycle access to weekly jams and could use the small trackers. But I have the 1073 DPA and API 3124+ so I can rack those 2 if I drive my truck. If I go with other preamps, standalone will probably be Martech and future 19 will be something like Gordon, NPNG, Forssell as I have no clean now, my other pre is TG2. All good though man, when I get more flowin' like Moen I may get some analog but more studies required.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search