The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Know anything about old radio tubes?
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

I was shopping in a local flea market and found a box of old radio and television tubes. I don't know much about vacuum tubes, but I have a couple ART MP pre's and I know you can switch out the tubes for different coloration. I wrote down which tubes they had which looked about the right size for the MP. If anyone knows anything about them, please inform me. Thanks

GE: 6AL5W
GE: 19HV8
GE: 35C5
GE: 6AU6
GE: 12BH7

Raytheon: 6BC5
Raytheon: 50C5

RCA: 5726-6AL5W

CBS Hytron: 6BZ7
CBS Hytron: 6AG5
CBS: 6BQ5

Sylvania Electric: 12AU7

Mullard: HBC****12AU6

Standard Brand: 12BH7
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I collect old tubes. When I find some in a similar situation I always hit google and eBay. You can find the best applications and a ballpark value for most tubes in general. tubedepot tubeworld etc.
Old 11th September 2011
There is a user called BOWIE here on gearslutz who deals with tubes. Worth a pm.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for such quick responses. They are selling the tubes for $8 each, so if there are any winners, I'll snag them.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
[QUOTE=Dreamsindigital;7021050]
GE: 6AL5W-not useful for sound
GE: 19HV8-same
GE: 35C5-rectifier for Danelectro/Silvertone 3 tube amps
GE: 6AU6-preamp for some Gibson guitar amps
GE: 12BH7-hi-fi preamps

Raytheon: 6BC5-?
Raytheon: 50C5-power tube, Dano/silvertone 3 tube

RCA: 5726-6AL5W-?

CBS Hytron: 6BZ7-?
CBS Hytron: 6AG5-?
CBS: 6BQ5-EL84, used in smaller guitar amps

Sylvania Electric: 12AU7-low gain preamp, good quality

Mullard: HBC****12AU6-Hi-fi preamp

Standard Brand: 12BH7-hi-fi preamp

I'd say, off hand that the 6BQ5s would be worth more than $8 if they're new, used that's about right. The Mullards might be worth more than that, but they're not useful for you. The 12AU7s are worth right around there, but you can find them for cheap in old Allen tube organs at Goodwill...
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsindigital View Post
I was shopping in a local flea market and found a box of old radio and television tubes. I don't know much about vacuum tubes, but I have a couple ART MP pre's and I know you can switch out the tubes for different coloration. I wrote down which tubes they had which looked about the right size for the MP. If anyone knows anything about them, please inform me. Thanks

GE: 6AL5W
GE: 19HV8
GE: 35C5
GE: 6AU6
GE: 12BH7

Raytheon: 6BC5
Raytheon: 50C5

RCA: 5726-6AL5W

CBS Hytron: 6BZ7
CBS Hytron: 6AG5
CBS: 6BQ5

Sylvania Electric: 12AU7

Mullard: HBC****12AU6

Standard Brand: 12BH7
put the tube number into google as so

6au6 specs description information
hit return

repeat for all tubes

the data is all out there if you look
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

This is all cool and I'm not really looking for $ value on them. I'm just more curious in their tonal differences. I guess I'd just have to pick up a few and try them out. The ART pre's underpower their tubes anyhow, so they would have a different sound than if I put them in something full powered.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

All the preamp tubes you listed are much lower in gain than the 12AX7s that are probably in the Art pre. Meaning you're s/n ratio will be shot, and any overdrive you were looking for will be gone as well.

Go to sites like the tubestore.com or Lord Valve and read up on different tubes. Besides different brands there are a couple subs for 12AX7s with usable gain.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

You could try the 12au7, but it's going to be less gain...
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Nut

Thanks for the replys. That's the kind of info I was hoping to get. If they aren't really usable in my application, I won't sweat over it. I just didn't want to miss out if there was something special. I know people sub out old telefunken tubes in the MP and whatnot, but I hadn't heard of any of these tubes, so I was just curious.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

You can safely try the 12BH7s (if they're not too tall) and 12AU7 in your MP, though they're fairly low gain (med-mu) and may not be practical in your applications. GE's made some of the best 12BH7s and Sylvania 12AU7s are very nice as well so they're worth trying. Just beware of noise and microphonics, which are always an issue in mic preamps and become amplified when you sub a low-gain tube.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear
If you'd asked, "can I use these tubes in my preamp" the answer would have been much more concise... I probably wouldn't. Buy a better quality modern 12AX7 like a Tung-Sol, or find an older, gently used 12AX7 from RCA, Sylvania, Mullard, Telefunken etc.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamsindigital View Post
This is all cool and I'm not really looking for $ value on them. I'm just more curious in their tonal differences. I guess I'd just have to pick up a few and try them out. The ART pre's underpower their tubes anyhow, so they would have a different sound than if I put them in something full powered.
tonal difference depends on the circuit design more than the tube itself

yes,
you will have to try them to see if you can hear any difference

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search