The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kush Audio Live with UBK • NYC Monitor Controllers
Old 21st September 2011
Jai guru deva om

The ubk~1 is a plug or is that a rendered pic? Hard to tell on my phone!
Old 21st September 2011
Plug-in.
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by u b k View Post
OMG BBQ! Want!!!!

Need beta testers? <hint, hint...>
Old 21st September 2011
Jai guru deva om

OK viewing on PC now...looks like another hit. Can't wait to hear it.

War
Old 21st September 2011
Looks like a UBK Fatso in a plug!
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilWave View Post
no new gear - new plug-in!

Here's Greg demo'ing the UBK-1
There's the back of my head! I'm famous!!!

Had a great time, Greg and Gil are totally cool. Great new sneak peak, and UBK Fatso / Clariphonic sounded awesome. Thanks again guys!
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Would love to head out to NY Congrats on the new plug in Greg. The softness control on it has me very interested . Great idea ! which is needed , most are always focusing on punch and snap . But what if your source is too much of that already .
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

Sorry if I missed it, but when does this become available? Hey Greg, aren't you Mr. Analog though? What is all this maddness about an awesome plug-in?! heh I mean it in a playful way just in case it didn't come across right. But really, I thought you had gotten rid of the computer in your recording set up. Maybe I'm thinking of someone else. This plug-in looks killer by the way.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

I'm the lucky SOB who walked out with the new Main Gain. I had a Mackie Big Knob that I ditched when I got a console, so I'm eager to test this against my memory of the Slackie. Will keep everyone posted on my direct impressions of the two.

Twas' a great evening. Great folks, great talk with Greg, great demos of the Kush/UBK line. And that's a very cool plug. I won't speak for Greg too much, but it's NOT a Fatso in plug-in form. I would say that the design of the plug is certainly influenced by the great features of the Fatso, but the plug is it's own beast. Wish I could talk more about it, but I don't want to divulge too much and step on any toes. I will say a couple of keywords about it though, gain neutral and internal biasing.....
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Guru

The Long Story

I found this plugin in a box in my grandfather's basement workshop, in a container so old the cardboard had become skeletal and what corrugation remained had turned black and moldy from the passing of so many years and the rising and falling of so many floodwaters. Beneath stacks of cryptically scripted tomes with crudely drawn plans for processors yet unknown and interfaces without so much as a circuit to control, the lid crumbled to dust at the first brush of my curious fingertip.

Exposed, I lifted the thing gingerly from its tomb, flecks of rust and vaguely alien debris lightly showering the air and staining my palms a ruddy metallic orange, the smell of oxidation and dislodged patina stinging the insides of my nose. For a moment I was transported, here was a smell that arced back to a time whose images and sounds had long since evaporated from the folds of my brain but whose smells, apparently, remained powerfully intact, attached to a singular memory of a grandfather emerging from his subterranean lair with a grin on his face, a wry curvature of lip whose meaning was predominantly lost on a young boy, and still... something was communicated, some shred of understanding that always manages to insinuate itself into the threads that bind generations from one to the next.

To my great surprise, the thing fired up instantly, if irritably, with a sputter and cough and crackle, the unmistakeable aroma of wires and assorted metal parts collecting heat and, falling just short of spitting smoke, announcing their newly awakened consciousness to all the senses that care to take notice. Gauges and dials glowed, chassis grew warm to the touch, life in all its varied and variegated forms awoke with the dawn, whip in hand, plough at the ready, fields at the wait. This is what we do, this is why we get out of bed in the mornings; to be a man is to work, to work is to live.

I ran sound through the bowels of the rudely awakened giant and was graced with a response both deeply comforting and brazenly unrestrained. I reveled unapologetically in the typical and tested routine of smashing sounds to bits, pausing occasionally to admire the ease with which it dispensed subtle beauty before grinding a knob clockwise to hear the beast bellow its own peculiar brand of fury. I was brought to mind of something a master had once drilled into my head repeatedly until he was sure I not only grasped it but would indeed never able to let it go: that the elevation of compression beyond the mere leveling of transient energy, the transubstantiation of this mechanism into artistry, requires the attunement of the ear to the movement of that newly reborn envelope, the perception of that motion being not a byproduct of the process, but the very end itself.

Compression, then, is by its very nature a manifestation of groove.

It was with that thought heavy on my brow that I proceeded to spend many months, some 18 in total if memory serves, fine tuning this three-tiered machine into a tool that like-minded crafters of the groove could use to impart a particular life and movement into their sounds that is generally reserved for the racks and towers of steel that fill the chambers of those whose ledgers match their zeal for sonic excellence. Success is as elusive of measure as it is of capture, and yet I feel not untoward in declaring just that.

May it serve us all well on our journeys great and small.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I found this plugin in a box in my grandfather's basement workshop, in a container so old the cardboard had become skeletal and what corrugation remained had turned black and moldy from the passing of so many years and the rising and falling of so many floodwaters. Beneath stacks of cryptically scripted tomes with crudely drawn plans for processors yet unknown and interfaces without so much as a circuit to control, the lid crumbled to dust at the first brush of my curious fingertip.

Exposed, I lifted the thing gingerly from its tomb, flecks of rust and vaguely alien debris lightly showering the air and staining my palms a ruddy metallic orange, the smell of oxidation and dislodged patina stinging the insides of my nose. For a moment I was transported, here was a smell that arced back to a time whose images and sounds had long since evaporated from the folds of my brain but whose smells, apparently, remained powerfully intact, attached to a singular memory of a grandfather emerging from his subterranean lair with a grin on his face, a wry curvature of lip whose meaning was predominantly lost on a young boy, and still... something was communicated, some shred of understanding that always manages to insinuate itself into the threads that bind generations from one to the next.

To my great surprise, the thing fired up instantly, if irritably, with a sputter and cough and crackle, the unmistakeable aroma of wires and assorted metal parts collecting heat and, falling just short of spitting smoke, announcing their newly awakened consciousness to all the senses that care to take notice. Gauges and dials glowed, chassis grew warm to the touch, life in all its varied and variegated forms awoke with the dawn, whip in hand, plough at the ready, fields at the wait. This is what we do, this is why we get out of bed in the mornings; to be a man is to work, to work is to live.

I ran sound through the bowels of the rudely awakened giant and was graced with a response both deeply comforting and brazenly unrestrained. I reveled unapologetically in the typical and tested routine of smashing sounds to bits, pausing occasionally to admire the ease with which it dispensed subtle beauty before grinding a knob clockwise to hear the beast bellow its own peculiar brand of fury. I was brought to mind of something a master had once drilled into my head repeatedly until he was sure I not only grasped it but would indeed never able to let it go: that the elevation of compression beyond the mere leveling of transient energy, the transubstantiation of this mechanism into artistry, requires the attunement of the ear to the movement of that newly reborn envelope, the perception of that motion being not a byproduct of the process, but the very end itself.

Compression, then, is by its very nature a manifestation of groove.

It was with that thought heavy on my brow that I proceeded to spend many months, some 18 in total if memory serves, fine tuning this three-tiered machine into a tool that like-minded crafters of the groove could use to impart a particular life and movement into their sounds that is generally reserved for the racks and towers of steel that fill the chambers of those whose ledgers match their zeal for sonic excellence. Success is as elusive of measure as it is of capture, and yet I feel not untoward in declaring just that.

May it serve us all well on our journeys great and small.

Gregory Scott - ubk

Sounds like you're selling your plug-in out of a J. Peterman catalog.

regards,
Frank
Old 22nd September 2011
bee
Lives for gear

Quote:
no new gear - new plug-in!

Here's Greg demo'ing the UBK-1
So what did you think of it?
Old 22nd September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bee View Post
So what did you think of it?
Me personally? I love it - it's the first totally-new from the ground up compressor plug-in in ages, and it has UBK's idiosyncrasies designed in. It's more of a creative tool, a kind of 'coloring box', than just a compressor plug.

I'm biased, of course, so please ask around - there were more than a few serious folks at the event that had the chance to hear it, I would ask for their opinions as unaffiliated third parties.

Gil
Old 22nd September 2011
Lives for gear

here's a few of my opinions on it. like Greg's other gear, it's ****ing deceptively simple, quick, and easy to get cool sounds happening. and from what Greg said, the code was written from the ground up. No copying shortcuts from previous designs, etc. A lot of thought went into this.

And as Gil said, it's not simply a compressor. it can add harmonic saturation, and compression, and can HF limit, and can soften mid range transients. and each process has blend control. Hearing the plug and the Clariphonic in action, you get an instant appreciation for the parallel processing approach in the designs.

again, it's not a Fatso plug-in, but if you're familiar with that sound on drums (that's all that was demo'd) then you will love this plug-in.
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Gregory Scott - ubk
RTAS !!! MY NINJA !!!
Old 23rd September 2011

Very purty lookin', indeed, Gregoire...congrats!

Can't wait to hear it - perhaps at AES - not sure yet.

Old 23rd September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Me personally? I love it - it's the first totally-new from the ground up compressor plug-in in ages, and it has UBK's idiosyncrasies designed in. It's more of a creative tool, a kind of 'coloring box', than just a compressor plug.

I'm biased, of course, so please ask around - there were more than a few serious folks at the event that had the chance to hear it, I would ask for their opinions as unaffiliated third parties.

Gil
Having the pleasure of hearing it in person, the plugin sounded really interesting through each section. The saturation can be subtle but very pleasing how it tames the transients and pulls the weight of the signal forward. The compressor has very cool curves and each mode grabs differently. If you disengage the saturation while the compressor is pumping, the difference is drastic (where it may have seemed more subtle before compressor was inserted). The compressor has the ability to go way too far, which isn't a bad thing. The softness section smoothed things over and I could see it's use on very bright, transient percussive material. Overall a really great idea and can't wait to take it for a test drive.
Old 5th December 2011
Gear Nut

I am saving up for this one at the moment. My next piece of gear Lord willing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search