The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Sm7b or At4047 for Vocals only! Condenser Microphones
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Sm7b or At4047 for Vocals only!

both seem like great mics, although the sm7b is a lil cheaper(about $200 difference depending on where ur looking)

The at4047 has that silky sound, very warm and very detailed. Sm7b seems less detailed but also quite smooth. The room also lays a role in it; as the sm7b is a dynamic it naturally does not pick up as much room, but it might be too "dull sounding" and not as clear as Im going for.

Advice on the two? Which would you go with?Any other recommendations? Ive also got my own advanced audio 87, lb36, kel hm7u, re20 and heil pr40. A good number of condensers and dynamics. Thanks in advanced for your feedback!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

depends on what you plan on using it for?

You have a nice selection already that should cover your bases.

Seeing your mic selection i would go fore the 4047 since you dont have a tube mic.

My .02
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear
4047 is not tube I don't think, but at40 series is always nice, I'd def go with at4047 over sm7 if it were me.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by he_isthatguy313 View Post
both seem like great mics, although the sm7b is a lil cheaper(about $200 difference depending on where ur looking)

The at4047 has that silky sound, very warm and very detailed. Sm7b seems less detailed but also quite smooth. The room also lays a role in it; as the sm7b is a dynamic it naturally does not pick up as much room, but it might be too "dull sounding" and not as clear as Im going for.

Advice on the two? Which would you go with?Any other recommendations? Ive also got my own advanced audio 87, lb36, kel hm7u, re20 and heil pr40. A good number of condensers and dynamics. Thanks in advanced for your feedback!
I have the SM7b and an AT 4050. I've never heard the 4047 but I'm thinking the AT would be the better choice imo the SM7b has a more narrow sound which is great for screamers and shrill voices but I rarely like it on most voices. The Shure really needs the clean juice to sound good to my ears also. I was gonna say maybe get both to be more versatile but you do have several mics already including an RE-20.

What kind of vocals are you talking? Anything certain or a variety?
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

sorry guys lol big typo. I meant I have my EYE on those mics. All I have right now is an MXL genesis which is just "ok"to me. I mean Im also considering those mics. thanks for feedback tho.

Im going for crisp, smooth, kinda punchy and detailed, but FULL sounding vocals. For male rap
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

The 4047 should do the trick. Sometimes the highs are slightly buzzy, but nowhere near as bad as most cheap condensers.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've got an SM7b here and borrowed a 4047 to try for a vocal session.
I ended up preferring the 4047 on the vocal take I did.

Really you need to try them and decided which sounds best on the vocal you're recording.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Head

Cool replies. How would an ksm44 do?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

AT4050, that mic gives you so many options, the swiss army knife.....
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a 4047, 4050 and SM7b here. Different mics completely of course. If the 4047sv was twice the price I'm sure more people on here would be saying how good a vocal mic it is. The fact is, it's a GREAT vocal mic, especially for female voice. It has a rich low end and though present doesn't have the 'fizz' of some. The main thing about this mic is the focussed sound, vocals just sit beautifully in the mix.

In comparison the 4050 is cleaner, more open but doesn't have the same character - though it's a very useful mic. For me the sm7b is one of those mics you really want to love - it looks great, has a weighty feel to it but there have been very few occasions when I haven't got a better sound from something else -maybe I don't record rock screamers too much! It seems to have a compressed sound out of the box. Around this price range can I also mention the SE5600 MKII? Replace the stock tube and filter out some of the fizzy top end - it's a wonderful, rich, warm sound!

steve
Old 27th September 2011
The SM7b is one of those mics that just works on any vocal as long as you have an excellent preamp. I've had people in on numerous occasions who say they've tried an SM7b and it didn't work for them. Just for fun I ask them to try it again and there hasn't been one time where they weren't shocked at how great they sounded through that mic.
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

I recorded all these female vocals with an AT4047! It's great on male vox too. You just adjust your preamp for each vocalist.

Old 27th September 2011
Here for the gear

its impossible to know which one of those is better without a/b'ing them on the source you are going to use them on and choosing the one you prefer. Short of that.. you are just guessing as to which one is better. Gambling of sorts. I've heard great recordings with both. When in doubt.. go for the cheaper one.
Old 27th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
The SM7b is one of those mics that just works on any vocal as long as you have an excellent preamp. I've had people in on numerous occasions who say they've tried an SM7b and it didn't work for them. Just for fun I ask them to try it again and there hasn't been one time where they weren't shocked at how great they sounded through that mic.
People say this all the time! What I would like to see (hear) is a preamp shootout with the SM7B going to different preamps (anyone have that new Manley gadget, the one that can switch between pre's?).

Sven
Old 27th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think you have enough of good mics so I'd say you should get something tube. It might be little more pricy but it's worth it.
I'd look into Telefunken CU29.
Old 4th December 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but I own both mics, and both just so happen to be my fav's.

In all honestation, I think the SM7b and AT4047, despite being two completely different types of mics, share remarkably similar tonalities. They're both thick sounding, colored, dark, have strong focused mids and a rounded top end. To my ears, the 4047 is more open/crisper sounding than the SM7b...but not by a large margin. You can probably EQ the SM7b to sound very similar to the 4047.

Just my thoughts. I love both of these mics. I think they're both the absolute best mics you can get for under 350 bucks on the used market. I've tried dozens in that pricerange over the last few years. I keep coming back to the SM7b and 4047 for my recording needs.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search