The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most unique albums of all time Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
What in my quote is wrong?

There are bands that I like and don't like that I can look up realease dates, band formation etc.
I don't think they were the first
psychedelic band
Quote:
I challange you to listen to Interstellar Overdrive and find a piece of "rock" music that was as far out at that time in terms of noise etc? The ultra obscure noise band AMM? Heroin by Velvet Underground?
Velvet Underground they were wicked cool and very boring

Quote:
Seriously, you happen to be wrong here factually. Google the dates of all these bands and their releases.
Google would be the authority right behind Wikipedia ofcourse

Quote:
Floyd predates a lot of music that it inspired, including noise rock, ambient music, Kraut Rock and electronica. I'm not saying that Floyd is more important that the Beatles historically, but get your dates right at least.
honestly I'm just sick of the Beatles and Pinkfloyd. I'd rather get a tooth pulled than listen to either of them.

If the Beatles invented everything which many have claimed on this thread then how could pink Floyd have been unique?

Let's say for the sake of argument the Beatles spawned Psychedelic music. Then how could Floyd be unique? The Syd Barret stuff was all Psychedelic. So it can't be both. the Floyd could not have invented Psychedelic music when the Beatles did it first? I was only an infant in 1967 but I can bet there were some obscure bands playing clubs in London in 1965 or 66 that were playing Psychedelic music before the Beatles and floyd.

It's like Nirvana everyone thinks they are so original. But yet there were 100 bands in Boston alone doing that sound in the 80s.

The Beatles were unique, Black Sabbath were unique there are others but I don't listen to the Dark side of the moon or meddle and think to myself this is unique? I listen and think...this is great. As far as the Syd Barret era stuff goes it may be unique, you could be right, but it is so boring I can put myself through the torture of listening to it all the way through to make a fair assessment. So for the sake of fairness let's assume everything you have said is correct and I am wrong

Old 6th January 2012
Gear Addict

Fair enough, but I try to keep how much I like a band from these kind of discussions. There are a lot of bands that are very unique and influential that I do not care for, but my opinion on their music does not change their significance. I think in a lot of ways James Brown, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath and Kraftwerk are more influential bands/people than the Beatles. I think the Ramones, The Velvet Underground and Frank Zappa are also extremely unique bands historically and I don't really listen to/care for them a whole lot.

It's not "like" but "unique".

Also, "Interstellar Overdrive" transcends "psychedelic". I also never said any band invented the psychedelic genre, or Floyd was the first anything.

Just because a band or genre "spawns" another does not exclude that spawn from ever being unique.
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

The first *psychedelic* song recorded and it was played on British radio would probably be this by the legendary Joe Meek,. from 1960

A pretty unique recording i guess?
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Captain Beefheart - Trout mask Replica
Miles Davis - Bitch's Brew
Beatles - Sargent Pepper
Jimi Hendrix - Are you experienced & Axis bold as love
John Coltrane - Live in Seattle or Interstellar Space
F Zappa - Hot Rats
Chailly - Vareze - complete works
Mahavishnu Orch-Intermounting Flame or Birds of Fire
Gateway
Old 6th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgdrum_nyc View Post
Sargent Pepper
Not heard of that one
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Sorry Sgt. English teacher
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post
The first *psychedelic* song recorded and it was played on British radio would probably be this by the legendary Joe Meek,. from 1960

wow!! so much for the Beatles inventing everything? bummer..........
well the Beatles still invented rock and roll as far as I know, Elvis, JLL and chuck berry came out in the 70s, luckily

so does this video mean pink floyd watched 40 and 50s sci fi movies?
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Beatles - Sargent Pepper
exactly how is this record unique? I have heard my whole life it is the greatest thing in music
that may be true. But how is it unique? I don't hear it's uniqueness. It sounds like the records they put out before it
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

For any fans of classical, i would suggest "Music for 18 Musicians" by Steve Reich.

If you like solo piano, check out "The Koln Concert" by Keith Jarrett.

Two visions of music I dare say we will never be fortunate enough to hear again in our lifetimes.
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
exactly how is this record unique? I have heard my whole life it is the greatest thing in music
that may be true. But how is it unique? I don't hear it's uniqueness. It sounds like the records they put out before it
for me Sgt. Pepper changed the concept of 12 songs on a LP into a complete vision that comprise the concept of an album.
Production techniques that were hinted at on a few songs on earlier records blossomed into a complete work that transended the model of a typical rock record.
Other artists have done this over the years but whether you like it or not Sgt. Pepper was a game changer.
Yes the Beatles had great albums as well as songs before & after Sgt.Peppers but having lived through the time,Sgt.Peppers was
one of a handful of records that captured as well as defined the era.
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

first album that came to my head was Radiohead "Kid A"
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
for me Sgt. Pepper changed the concept of 12 songs on a LP into a complete vision that comprise the concept of an album.
Production techniques that were hinted at on a few songs on earlier records blossomed into a complete work that transended the model of a typical rock record.
Other artists have done this over the years but whether you like it or not Sgt. Pepper was a game changer.
Yes the Beatles had great albums as well as songs before & after Sgt.Peppers but having lived through the time,Sgt.Peppers was
one of a handful of records that captured as well as defined the era.
I really don't hear any production techniques on it that were unique Les Paul did everything in the 40 and 50s. Plus petsounds was a complete vision. And there were many concept records before the Beatles or pet sounds, Vivaldi 4 seasons comes to mind
I suppose a record about lonely hearts clubs is more exciting than the change of seasons? what do I know?
But I don't really look at Sgt Pepper as a concept record. None of the songs relates to each other in any way except the
first and 2nd to last song.
Old 6th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
I really don't hear any production techniques on it that were unique Les Paul did everything in the 40 and 50s. Plus petsounds was a complete vision. And there were many concept records before the Beatles or pet sounds, Vivaldi 4 seasons comes to mind
Watch any documentary on progressive rock. Over and over, you will hear people who became the giants of progressive rock quote Sgt. Pepper as the thing that opened their minds to the fact that a *popular music album* could be something more than a collection of songs, that it could be a sonic adventure. And it made 'thugh album' the delivery vehicle of choice for all rock artists after that who saw themselves more as 'arteest' than 'entertainer'. It's widely cited by those folks who were there at the time and part of it as the big bang of conceptual album rock music.
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Roddey View Post
Watch any documentary on progressive rock. Over and over, you will hear people who became the giants of progressive rock quote Sgt. Pepper as the thing that opened their minds to the fact that a *popular music album* could be something more than a collection of songs, that it could be a sonic adventure. And it made 'thugh album' the delivery vehicle of choice for all rock artists after that who saw themselves more as 'arteest' than 'entertainer'. It's widely cited by those folks who were there at the time and part of it as the big bang of conceptual album rock music.
that's 'hearsay'. that's my point everyone goes on and on and on and on
but putting it in perspective it's really nothing unique, to what others including the Beatles themselves have done before.

that's kinda my point "why is Sgt Pepper so unique?"...... aahhh because it just is?
noone ever really gives an explanation.

I think petsounds sounds better, is better 'produced' and has more unique concepts. As far as recording techniques go, the Beatles themselves, Brian Wilson, Les Paul, Phil Specter and others had done everything imaginable before that was recorded.

I'm not asking why is it influential I'm asking what exactly is unique about it?
being influential don't mean a whole lot, The muppets were influential so were the partridge family
Old 6th January 2012
Here for the gear

Midnight Oil: 10,9,8,7.....1
The Proclaimers: This is The Story
The Wiggles: Big Red Car
Weddings, Parties, Anything: The Scorn of the Women
Runrig: Heartland
Toyah: Anthem
Ultravox: Vienna
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqueslacouth View Post
Midnight Oil: 10,9,8,7.....1
The Proclaimers: This is The Story
The Wiggles: Big Red Car
Weddings, Parties, Anything: The Scorn of the Women
Runrig: Heartland
Toyah: Anthem
Ultravox: Vienna
Big Red Car rocks! Although my 5yr old has now moved on to Tom Cochrane and Queen, I'll never forget it! heh
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinlunchbox View Post
Recently I'd say either of Zach Hill's solo albums, but particularly Face Tat

Really impressive, but crazy compressed and distorted unfortunately - is this how the album sounds..?

::
Mads
Old 6th January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Big Red Car rocks! Although my 5yr old has now moved on to Tom Cochrane and Queen, I' never forget it! heh
Yeppers...they were the shizz untill they sold out...c'mon, I mean seriously....SAM????..........get ****ing serious.
Old 6th January 2012
Here for the gear

When by Vincent Gallo,
Tender Buttons by Broadcast,
An Electric Storm by White Noise,
The United States Of America by The United States Of America &
The Cheerful Insanity Of Giles, Giles and Fripp by Giles, Giles and Fripp
Old 6th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by floyd atema View Post
An Electric Storm by White Noise
Yes! heh
Old 6th January 2012
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMoon View Post

Wow, I never heard that before.
1960? That's amazing.
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Always found most Musique Concrete artists rather unique.
Bands like Floyd et Al borrowed a lot from these genuine masters of sound.
One of the many examples, and one of my favorite records.

Old 6th January 2012
ska
Gear Nut

Achtung Baby....U2
Old 6th January 2012
Lives for gear

Moody Blues -- not just musically ..BUT there was no separation between the cuts/ tunes -- all the songs molded into one,,, still the only LP's of their kind ... Almost impossible to grab one track ........
Old 6th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mljung View Post
Really impressive, but crazy compressed and distorted unfortunately - is this how the album sounds..?

::
Mads
It is; this song is actually fairly tame compared to some stuff on the album. His other album, Astrological Straits is less effected into oblivion, but still has its moments. Zach Hill's other band Hella might be more tolerable sonically, but musically it's much more out there:

Old 6th January 2012
Gear Head

I think Those Poor Bastards have one of the more unique sounds in current music. The gospel/death metal/country mixture is pretty far out. I know Hank III does the metal country thing, but the Bastards are just a little further out left field.

Crooked Man

I may well be way off base of course. If they are derivative, I'd love to hear their inspiration!
Old 7th January 2012
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post
Grateful Dead - "Anthem Of The Sun" & "Aoxomoxoa"
yup-blew my mind,still does
Old 7th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Anyone mention Switched On Bach yet?
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

There is a recurring argument on here that there were plenty of bands prior to another band that were doing a certain kind of music... However true this may be, the original question was about a "unique album", which is a recorded moment in time.

With that in mind, I do agree that Sgt. Peppers was hugely ground breaking. It brought all of the elements together: songwriting, production, style... you name it. Not many others had done that previously (and even to this date), other than the Beatles themselves, who really trumped their own previous work with that effort. Yes, many others led the way, but the Beatles really nailed it with that era of recorded history.
Old 9th January 2012
Lives for gear

Creation Rebel - Starship Africa

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search