The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most unique albums of all time Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Musicfan View Post
Maybe those side effects, along with the neurological impairment from inhaling the fumes, are a cruel penalty for daring to be so unoriginal. In the 1980's, those who tried to copy the Flock Of Seagulls hairstyles (with massive amounts of hairspray) also likely suffered from a similar chemical-exposure toxicity...
Very true, not to mention it's effect on the ozone layer. In fact some scientists believe the late 80's rise in melanoma rates can be attributed almost entirely to the success of Echo and The Bunnymen.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Very true, not to mention it's effect on the ozone layer. In fact some scientists believe the late 80's rise in melanoma rates can be attributed almost entirely to the success of Echo and The Bunnymen.
hehhehheh
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
David Bowie 'Hunky Dory', 'Ziggy Stardust' well..Mr. Bowie was unique every record actually
I have to agree. Take Scary Monsters for example. Opening a record with this -- David Bowie It's No Game Part 1 - YouTube ----- then frightening Sister Rebecca & Mr. Rogers with this -- David Bowie- Scary Monsters (And super creeps) - YouTube -- and wowing the audience with a perfectly crafted, impeccably melodic new wave masterpiece -- David Bowie Ashes to Ashes - YouTube --
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Head
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Radiohead - Kid A

The Flaming Lips - The Soft Bulletin

Potishead - Dummy

Kanye West - My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy

Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Ween= Chocolate and Cheese
Kate Bush= Hounds of Love
Bonzo Dog Band= Tadpoles
Brotha Lynch Hung= Seasons of Da Sicness
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

I would have to say SGT Pepper because it changed the paradigm of what an album could be. Certainly no album or recording sessions have ever impacted the recording industry the way this album did. Nothing that comes to mind comes even close accept possibly Revolver which was the preamble to Pepper.

This is based upon fact and is not based upon whether one likes the content of the music itself. That said, I happen to love the music as well but that in itself is based on taste.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu Schnickens View Post
What a snob.

Rage Against the Machine #1
Korn (not that I really like them, just an original sound)
Too many to think of off the top of head.
audio rage against the korn biscuit slave
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by PdotDdot View Post
I would have to say SGT Pepper because it changed the paradigm of what an album could be. Certainly no album or recording sessions have ever impacted the recording industry the way this album did. Nothing that comes to mind comes even close accept possibly Revolver which was the preamble to Pepper.

This is based upon fact and is not based upon whether one likes the content of the music itself. That said, I happen to love the music as well but that in itself is based on taste.

Or maybe Pink Floyd recording at the exact same time at Abby Road is the one band to really take a closer look at?
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
Or maybe Pink Floyd recording at the exact same time at Abby Road is the one band to really take a closer look at?
was Floyd really that original? not really. They just took the the psychedelic parts of the Beatles and milked that through the late 60s, nothing original. they were like the subpop of the 60s.

then the early 70-s stuff was just space rock ala UFO or Hawkwind Then their mid-later 70s stuff was just a top 40 version of King crimson and Yes.

I like Floyd but they were really just the pop/mainstream version of of whatever they were copying or influenced by at the time. Lyrically Waters was great but it was just his take on the Pete Townsend's Rock operas. Again nothing original. they were a great band but so was every one else at the time.

Coping some obscure sound and making a pop version out of it does not make you original and certainly not unique.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeh I agree, Piper at the Gates of Dawn was an astonishing record to those that heard it when it came out. One of my friends is Nick Jones who was a writer for the Melody Maker at the time, he was in the heart of it in London and broke many bands like The Who and Hendrix...it's great hearing his stories of how exciting and revolutionary these bands sounded at the time...I don't think its as easy for some of us to comprehend listening retrospectively.
Old 4th January 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumsound View Post
Beatles-Revolver (and every other record they did)
Chacago-I II III
CHIC-any
obviously none of these are unique if you can pick any of them
Old 4th January 2012
Almost by definition a unique album must

1. not be mainstream
2. have had little influence

Nearly every entry people have posted is either extremely mainstream or extremely influential. Now if you wanted to say original then some of the posts could be said to be the originators of certain styles. But the OP said unique.
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmillsound View Post

1. not be mainstream

Nearly every entry people have posted is either extremely mainstream or extremely influential. Now if you wanted to say original then some of the posts could be said to be the originators of certain styles. But the OP said unique.
You'd be fun at a party heh
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by windmillsound View Post

1. not be mainstream

I am sorry, but that definition is completely incorrect. If an album is made and there is nothing like it, then it is unique. It is irrelevant if it was or was not mainstream and it is irrelevant if it had or did not have any influence.
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Addict
Mike Oldfield - Amarok
Old 4th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
was Floyd really that original? not really. They just took the the psychedelic parts of the Beatles and milked that through the late 60s, nothing original. they were like the subpop of the 60s.

then the early 70-s stuff was just space rock ala UFO or Hawkwind Then their mid-later 70s stuff was just a top 40 version of King crimson and Yes.

I like Floyd but they were really just the pop/mainstream version of of whatever they were copying or influenced by at the time. Lyrically Waters was great but it was just his take on the Pete Townsend's Rock operas. Again nothing original. they were a great band but so was every one else at the time.

Coping some obscure sound and making a pop version out of it does not make you original and certainly not unique.
You might want to revisit that first record, especially the 10 minute track Interstellar Overdrive. Your assessment is a bit lazy. Indeed, they were part of a scene, a scene that included a bunch of bands that were groundbreaking such as Soft Machine etc. A scene that the Beatles influenced AND were influenced by.

You also have your timeline reversed, UFO and Hawkwind were both formed in 69' and Floyd was doing their space rock stuff ahead of that (Ummagumma came out in 69 and if that lp aint miles ahead of most bands, than nothing was). Pink Floyd is not a prog band like Yes or King Crimson, they do not write complex music with a zillion parts and intricate time signatures and quirky showy techniques.

And your statement "Coping some obscure sound and making a pop version out of it does not make you original and certainly not unique" is so off the mark historically that it barely deserves a response.
Old 4th January 2012
Here for the gear

King Crimson "In the Court of the Crimson King"
Black Sabbath "Paranoid", "Sabotage"
Led Zeppelin "I", "III', "IV", "Houses of the Holy", "Presence"
Pink Floyd "The Dark Side of the Moon"
Emerson, Lake & Palmer "Brain Salad Surgery"
Sting "The Dream of the Blue Turtles"
Red Hot Chili Peppers "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"
Soundgarden "Superunknown"
Jamiroquai "Emergency on Planet Earth", "The Return of the Space Cowboy"
Stone Temple Pilots "Core", "Purple"
Motley Crue "Motley Crue"
Tool "Aenima"
Stereophonics "You Gotta Go There to Come Back"
Nickelback "All the Right Reasons"

Andy
Old 4th January 2012
Deleted User
3ft high and rising / blue Lines
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

Bjork - Medulla
Portishead - Dummy
Massive Attack - Blue Lines
CW Stoneking - King Hokum/Jungle Blues
The Avalanches - Since I Left You
Aphex Twin - Drukqs
NiN - The Downward Spiral
Gary Numan - The Pleasure Principle
Grinderman - Grinderman
Jeff Buckley - Grace
Marilyn Manson - Antichrist Superstar
The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Mudvayne - LD50
Radiohead - Kid A
Silverchair - Diorama
Tomahawk - Mit Gas

Posted via the Gearslutz iPhone app
Old 4th January 2012
I find it interesting what people think is unique!

Television Personalities - And Don't The Kids Just Love It
Slits - Cut
Van Halen
Ariel Pink's Haunted Graffiti - House Arrest
Serge Gainsbourg - just about everything he ever did
Baden Powell and Vinicius De Moraes - Os Afro Sambas
Pink Floyd - Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Arthur Russell - World Of Echo
Brian Eno - first 4 albums
Roxy Music - Editions Of You
The Shaggs - Philosophy Of The World
Luiz Gonzaga - 1973
Jackson Do Pandeiro - O Dono Do Forro
M - London Paris New York Munich
Buggles - Age Of Plastic
Air - Moon Safari
Neu! 1975
Kraftwerk - Radioactivity
Bobby Fuller Four - Mustang Years
Incredible String Band - Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
Love - Forever Changes
Tropicalia....

It goes on and on...
Old 4th January 2012
Lives for gear

The Velvet Underground & Nico (1967)
The Man With The Golden Arm - Soundtrack (1955)
Pipers At The Gates Of Dawn (1967)
Electric Ladyland (1968)
The Psychedelic Sounds Of The Thirteenth Floor Elevator (1966)
Tropicalia
Pet Sounds (1966)
Joe's Garage (1979)
Chicago Transit Authority (1969)
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear

Really anything the beatles did in the second half of their career. Love it or leave it, it was absolutely revolutionary stuff... and especially for a popular band.

From the way one song cascaded into the next all the way up through the psychedellic meltdown that was the white album... some of this stuff only seems less than revolutionary today because it's been copied so many times.
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Nut

King's X Gretchen Goes to Nebraska
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Recently I'd say either of Zach Hill's solo albums, but particularly Face Tat

Old 5th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Unique to my ears

A Perfect circle - The 13th Step
Lustmord - Heresy
Pink Floyd - The Wall
Psycore - Your Problem
Sneaker Pimps - Splinter
Chick Corea - The lepracaun
The Twelve Monkeys OST
Dune (Toto & brian eno) OST
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
You might want to revisit that first record, especially the 10 minute track Interstellar Overdrive. Your assessment is a bit lazy. Indeed, they were part of a scene, a scene that included a bunch of bands that were groundbreaking such as Soft Machine etc. A scene that the Beatles influenced AND were influenced by.

You also have your timeline reversed, UFO and Hawkwind were both formed in 69' and Floyd was doing their space rock stuff ahead of that (Ummagumma came out in 69 and if that lp aint miles ahead of most bands, than nothing was). Pink Floyd is not a prog band like Yes or King Crimson, they do not write complex music with a zillion parts and intricate time signatures and quirky showy techniques.

And your statement "Coping some obscure sound and making a pop version out of it does not make you original and certainly not unique" is so off the mark historically that it barely deserves a response.
you must be a pink floyd fan
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
you must be a pink floyd fan

What in my quote is wrong? There are bands that I like and don't like that I can look up realease dates, band formation etc.

I challange you to listen to Interstellar Overdrive and find a piece of "rock" music that was as far out at that time in terms of noise etc? The ultra obscure noise band AMM? Heroin by Velvet Underground?

Seriously, you happen to be wrong here factually. Google the dates of all these bands and their releases.

Floyd predates a lot of music that it inspired, including noise rock, ambient music, Kraut Rock and electronica. I'm not saying that Floyd is more important that the Beatles historically, but get your dates right at least.
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea
The Magnetic Fields - 69 Love Songs
My Bloody Valentine - Loveless
Lou Reed - Metal Machine Music
Suicide (First Album)
Mike Patton - Adult Themes for Voice
Boards of Canada - Geogaddi
Aphex Twin - Come To Daddy
Can - Tago Mago
Slint - Spiderland
Old 6th January 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy K View Post
Stereophonics "You Gotta Go There to Come Back"
Nickelback "All the Right Reasons"
Was a decent list until these!!?!
Each to his own I suppose but I wouldn't say unique
Old 6th January 2012
Gear Head

Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden, Laughing Stock

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search