The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most unique albums of all time Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
I didn't quote your whole post only because it was long but thanks for sharing! I checked out your group too, good stuff!

-Danny
Thanks Danny... that was a long long time ago...
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

And again, not to be a pedantic wretch, but some citations are of records that were indeed unique when they first appeared, but given that any number of subsequent recordings are quite similar to them, in the context of history, they end up being not all that unique afterall
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fu Schnickens View Post
What a snob.

Rage Against the Machine #1
Korn (not that I really like them, just an original sound)
Too many to think of off the top of head.
Easy there Schnickens, whether you agree or not, everybody has a right to their opinions. Even though Yfoiler's was strong, his is coming from a place few of us can claim. He was actually in that 60s LA recording and live music scene (as well as 70s, 80s, etc) working around the people most of his opinion was about. We should value this kind of insight more around here, whether we agree with that poster's opinion or not. It would be really nice if the Mike Shipleys, Alan Parsons, etc, of the world weren't chased out of here on a regular basis, and could always feel comfortable posting on these forums. Cheers
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
Snobslut here. I bought Beyond The Astral Skies when it came out in '85. Much props to you for pointing out that Uli was unique. The opening to Sails Of Charone is one of my all time favorite rock intros. However, once Uli is done its back to the old hard rock formula. The Scorps are not unique.
Thanks Capn. Sails Of Charon is one of the amazing guitar performances of our time. The most amazing and scary thing about it was that the intro solo was actually double tracked! You also reminded me of something I should have put on my list.

Uli Jon Roth/Electric Sun - Fire Wind (1981)

If you haven't heard this, you definitely should. As strange as his singing is, I have gotten to a place where I can actually enjoy listening to it in the context of the songs. Amazing feel, power, and conviction on this one.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Thanks Capn. Sails Of Charon is one of the amazing guitar performances of our time. The most amazing and scary thing about it was that the intro solo was actually double tracked! You also reminded me of something I should have put on my list.

Uli Jon Roth/Electric Sun - Fire Wind (1981)

If you haven't heard this, you definitely should. As strange as his singing is, I have gotten to a place where I can actually enjoy listening to it in the context of the songs. Amazing feel, power, and conviction on this one.
Funny you should mention his singing, I think he might be the only guitarist in the world where i will sit through dreadful singing to get to a guitar solo. He singing is less annoying on that third solo record than the first two, but the first two have such a charm. But, most people hate Geddy Lee's voice, but it's never bothered me much. I'm told there is a bootleg of John Wetton playing with and singing for Uli. Always wondered about that.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Who would win a fistfight, The Burger King or Ronald McDonald?
In an ideal world, they would kill each other whilst blowing up each other's corporate headquarters.

Quote:
But, most people hate Geddy Lee's voice, but it's never bothered me much.
In their early days, there were PAs that had some kind of antisympathetic interaction with his tone. Arlington Heights in '75 comes to mind. At the time, I was certain that Geddy was aware of the bizarre effect of his vocal gymnastics coupling to the PA/room feedback trainwreck. Glad I had ear plugs for that one. It's interesting to hear how he's dealing with maturity and loss of range. I really like his voice these days, even if it's lacking in throttle response compared to his youth.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernest Buckley View Post
The only records that stick out to me from the current day are the Bon Iver stuff, especially his last record. Some really nice use of distortion and warmth. His records completely stand on their own, taking the listener places and full of ear candy. I`m a big fan of that stuff. Considering the current landscape of popular music, its really great to see someone gain recognition for making records that sound so different or unique.
So glad you wrote that! My vote is for Bon iver both "for Emma, forever ago", and "Bon Iver" are probably my two favorite records of all time.

It's like listening to a painting these albums really take you away to a different place, something that has been completely lost in music in the past decade or so.

At first these albums sound unpolished, after a few listens you really can grasp the genius of it all!

For Emma was recorded in an empty animal hospital that Vernon rented out.

Just buy these albums guys, trust me!!
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by kleraudio View Post
So glad you wrote that! My vote is for Bon iver both "for Emma, forever ago", and "Bon Iver" are probably my two favorite records of all time.

It's like listening to a painting these albums really take you away to a different place, something that has been completely lost in music in the past decade or so.

At first these albums sound unpolished, after a few listens you really can grasp the genius of it all!

For Emma was recorded in an empty animal hospital that Vernon rented out.

Just buy these albums guys, trust me!!
A lot of the members of his backing band are/were in the bands Pele and Collections Of Colonies Of Bees. Lots of good stuff there and the drummer Jon Muellar's label Crouton had a lot of great experimental music on it.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yep, collections of colonies of bees is great stuff!

Have you listened to any Volcano Choir?
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I have to go with either:

Charo - Espana Cani: The Remixes Vol 1

-or-

Pat Boone - In a Metal Mood - No More Mr. Nice Guy

Dan

Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

The best band to get lost in the late 90's indie rock shuffle was a group called Polvo. Their album Exploded Drawing is probably the most unique thing I've ever heard, before or since. One of those epic albums that exists as an island unto itself, that you really have to listen to from beginning to end.

If you have any interest in guitar-oriented weirdness, check it out. Nobody on earth plays quite like them.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

If you are bored with the bland, then check out this band : Adam And The Ants. ----- 3 of the most radically unique, daringly original and disturbingly weird albums in the history of Rock are : 1) Dirk Wears White Sox (British or American Version) 2) Kings Of The Wild Frontier and 3) Prince Charming. ----- Here are some examples from that eclectic, avant garde AntRealm. -- Adam & the Ants - Fall In - YouTube -- adam and the ants - dont be square (be there) - YouTube -- Adam and the Ants - Scorpios (Vinyl LP) - YouTube -- HUMAN BEINGS by ADAM AND THE ANTZ - YouTube -- Jolly Roger- Adam and The Ants - YouTube -- Adam Ant - Digital Tenderness/ Catholic Day - YouTube -- Animals and Men Adam Ant - YouTube -- ADAM AND THE ANTS - "Kick!" (1979) - YouTube -- Adam And The Ants - Car Trouble (Parts 1 & 2) - YouTube -- Adam And The Ants-Press Darlings - YouTube -- Adam Ant: Magnificent 5 - YouTube -- Adam and the Antz - 'Friends' from Antmusic EP. - YouTube -- Adam And The Ants - Picasso Visita el Planeta de los Simios - YouTube -- Adam & The Ants, Mowhok, live - YouTube -- ----------- Lyrics of great depth, radically unique vocals, anarchistic melodies, obscure harmonic patterns, varied and atypical rhythms all contribute to the vast, peculiar sonic-smorg delivered by Adam & The Ants.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Adam produced some truly bizzare music...spagetti western guitar mixed with burundi drums and glam style chants..and song about ants! Wtf?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Don't forget punk-rock tribal-gypsy wailing/yodelling. And dozens of other theoretically disallowed / pedagogically shunned acts of musical adventurism. In the future, such artistic deviance will be banished before it's allowed to affect the public airwaves.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Musicfan View Post
Don't forget punk-rock tribal-gypsy wailing/yodelling. And dozens of other theoretically disallowed / pedagogically shunned acts of musical adventurism. In the future, such artistic deviance will be banished before it's allowed to affect the public airwaves.
Definitely a musical WOW moment in my life, (that and seeing sonic youth live in 1985 on brighton beach)seeing Dog Eat Dog on TV and thinking what the hell was that? Yes some of it was ludicrous, but then it all teetered on the edge of madness, like Adam himself.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beyersound View Post
Easy there Schnickens, whether you agree or not, everybody has a right to their opinions. Even though Yfoiler's was strong, his is coming from a place few of us can claim. He was actually in that 60s LA recording and live music scene (as well as 70s, 80s, etc) working around the people most of his opinion was about. We should value this kind of insight more around here, whether we agree with that poster's opinion or not. It would be really nice if the Mike Shipleys, Alan Parsons, etc, of the world weren't chased out of here on a regular basis, and could always feel comfortable posting on these forums. Cheers

Yeah, but still...

Respect for experience, but if the one sharing it is doing so in a disagreeable fashion, it kind of diminishes my enthusiasm for their insight. That said, I don't want to scare anyone away.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
Definitely a musical WOW moment in my life, (that and seeing sonic youth live in 1985 on brighton beach)seeing Dog Eat Dog on TV and thinking what the hell was that? Yes some of it was ludicrous, but then it all teetered on the edge of madness, like Adam himself.
Adam teetering on the edge of madness ? It couldn't possibly be. And naming his upcoming album, 'Adam Ant Is The Blueblack Hussar in Marrying The Gunner's Daughter' ? ----- A definite musical WOW moment in my life was hearing this tune. -- Ant Music by Adam and the Ants - YouTube -- When I heard the opening D chord slid into from below and above chromatically, I thought something was wrong with my record player. One of the most bizarre choruses to ever hit #1. Yes, that's a chord pattern of D-Bb-G-F# beneath the atonal vocal flourish. Awesomely unique clickety drumsticks intro, minimalist guitar solo, dark & defiant bridge, etc.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Pink Floyd - Meddle
David Bowie - Diamond Dogs
The Tubes - Remote Control
Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene

thats all, only those four were unique - lol
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Edgar Winter - Entrance
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

There have been a lot of great calls on here.

For me:
The Byrds - 5th Dimension
Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited + Blonde on Blonde
The Beatles - Revolver + Abbey Road
Beach Boys - Pet Sounds
Velvet Underground and Nico - debut album + White Light/White Heat
Sonics - Here are the Sonics
The Doors - First album
Love - Forever Changes
Jimi Hendrix Experience - Are You Experienced? + Axis Bold as Love
Pink Floyd - The Piper at the Gates of Dawn
Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention - Freak Out
MC5 - Kick Out the Jams
Black Sabbath - debut album
Stooges/Iggy and the Stooges - Funhouse + Raw Power
Modern Lovers - self-titled album
T Rex - Electric Warrior + the Slider
Roxy Music - debut album
King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King + Red
Mahavishnu Orchestra - Inner Mounting Flame
Miles Davis - Bitches Brew
New York Dolls - debut album
Television - Marquee Moon
Richard Hell and the Voidoids - Blank Generation
Ramones - debut album
Patti Smith - Horses
Pere Ubu - Modern Dance
Damned - The Black Album
X-Ray Spex - Germ Free Adolescents
Germs - GI
X - Los Angeles
Adolescents - debut album
Flipper - Generic
Minutemen - The Punch Line + Double Nickels on the Dime
Hüsker Dü - Metal Circus + Zen Arcade
Saccharine Trust - Pagan Icons + We Became Snakes
Meat Puppets - Meat Puppets II and Up On the Sun
Captain Beefheart - Doc at the Radar Station + Lick My Decals Off, Baby
Bob Marley - Natty Dread
David Bowie - Low
Lydia Lunch - 13/13
The Shaggs - Philosophy of the World
Funkadelic - Cosmic Slop
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
Los Lobos - Colossal Head
That Dog - debut album
Jawbreaker - 24 Hour Revenge Therapy
Neko Case - Fox Confessor Brings the Flood

Last edited by gearjones; 15th September 2011 at 02:11 AM.. Reason: mistake
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by gearjones View Post
Dr. Dre - The Chronic
"Cannabis Sativa or in the heart of LA known as the Chronic, Not to be confused with the bionic even though it does cost six million dollars Maaan........... triple cheeseburger some fries ...... couple sodas..... some apple turnovers and all that old shi*"
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station View Post
When I was a teenager I was given a brief tour of the BBC by someone who worked there and happened to see Adam and The Ants filming Dog Eat Dog for some show (also saw the Not The Nine O Clock News pot noodle sketch and a bit of Dr Who- cool day.) A school friend also used to sneak in to watch them at the Marquee before they made it and was always saying they were much better before they got signed. I know their label made them change the lyrics on Deutsche Girls to 'why do you have to be so nasty' (originally it was 'so why do you have to be a ****')- still a great song though.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Adam teetering on the edge of madness ? It couldn't possibly be. And naming his upcoming album, 'Adam Ant Is The Blueblack Hussar in Marrying The Gunner's Daughter' ? ----- A definite musical WOW moment in my life was hearing this tune. -- Ant Music by Adam and the Ants - YouTube -- When I heard the opening D chord slid into from below and above chromatically, I thought something was wrong with my record player. One of the most bizarre choruses to ever hit #1. Yes, that's a chord pattern of D-Bb-G-F# beneath the atonal vocal flourish. Awesomely unique clickety drumsticks intro, minimalist guitar solo, dark & defiant bridge, etc.
I'm starting to get all these Adam and the Ants flashbacks. Watching that video just reminded me of another guy in my class who tried to copy the white-stripe-across-the-nose look using Tippex (Wite-out in the US.) Ended up getting an allergic skin reaction and had to spend the next couple of weeks with a red rash across his nose. heh
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

I'll add a few to the list

The Doors "The Doors" and "Strange Days"

Janes addiction "Nothing Shocking"

Alice Cooper "Schools out" "Love it to Death"

David Bowie "Hunky Dory" "Ziggy Stardust" well..Mr. Bowie was unique every record actually
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I'm starting to get all these Adam and the Ants flashbacks. Watching that video just reminded me of another guy in my class who tried to copy the white-stripe-across-the-nose look using Tippex (Wite-out in the US.) Ended up getting an allergic skin reaction and had to spend the next couple of weeks with a red rash across his nose. heh
Maybe those side effects, along with the neurological impairment from inhaling the fumes, are a cruel penalty for daring to be so unoriginal. In the 1980's, those who tried to copy the Flock Of Seagulls hairstyles (with massive amounts of hairspray) also likely suffered from a similar chemical-exposure toxicity. It's really quite serious, this whole matter of copycat fashion fandom from the 1980's..... much worse than the 21st century energy drinks people get all worked up about. ---------- I wonder if many impressionable young fans of Sinead O'Connor ever shaved their heads and burned pope pictures as an expression of their 'individuality'.....not likely, I guess, as the people of the 1990's were so much more 'enlightened', and 'creative'.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by superburtm View Post
I'll add a few to the list

The Doors "The Doors" and "Strange Days"

Janes addiction "Nothing Shocking"

Alice Cooper "Schools out" "Love it to Death"

David Bowie "Hunky Dory" "Ziggy Stardust" well..Mr. Bowie was unique every record actually
^^ Very good calls. I had the Doors debut on my as well. Those early Alice Cooper albums are so damn good. Love Killer and Billion Dollar Babies as well. Jane's Addiction was pretty earth shattering when it came out, definitely.

Great point about Bowie - every album sounds different and thus you could put any of his on the list. Man Who Sold the World rules and so does Alladin Sane - both completely different from one another and the ones you and I listed already. Low to me is still the most unique, however. Not his best album altogether but his collaborations with Eno and Iggy on it, and the overall heaviness of the record and the Berlin studio location make it stand out even in a career of different sounding albums.

I forgot to put the first Smiths album on my list. That one was hugely different from everything else in rock when it came out.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

So many to list, but a few off the top, albums that, to me, made me go 'wtf' in the best of ways, upon first hearing them.

One of my favorites from Bowie, sparse, eerie, different, brilliant all around.

One of the greatest bands of recent years.
While not as 'produced' sounding as their releases to follow, this one goes down as my favorite of theirs.
Great production, simple, effective, raw energy comes through vividly.
Some of the nicest people to boot.

This one is remarkable, a few percussion elements, in the right hands, can go a long way, truly unique in my world.
He is a mesmerizing character, and his biography reveals some very interesting stories about the enigma that was Moondog.
What a great voice too.

This has been on a few people's list, and for good reason.
Love him or hate him, this album pretty much kicked me in the face when I first heard it as a kid.
It totally wrapped me in a sea of emotions, and still does to this day.
Eerie, mysterious, evocative, beautiful, and for being released in 1976, pretty unique in many ways.

While there were a lot of great new-wave acts in the early 80's, this album still goes down, in my book, as one of the most unique of that era.
I still listen to it today, in awe of the production alone.
Quirky, intelligent, catchy, great songwriting, forget the big hit single, there are so many gems on this one.

This was pretty unique, to me, and also stood out from a lot of 80's stuff I was into.
Incredible songs, incredible production, truly their best work in my mind.

Weird, infectious, genius.

This just threw me of my chair when I first popped it in the cd player circa 2000.
Never heard anything quite like it, the man is brilliant.
Old 15th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
If you are bored with the bland, then check out this band : Adam And The Ants. ----- 3 of the most radically unique, daringly original and disturbingly weird albums in the history of Rock are : 1) Dirk Wears White Sox (British or American Version) 2) Kings Of The Wild Frontier and 3) Prince Charming. ----- Here are some examples from that eclectic, avant garde AntRealm. -- Adam & the Ants - Fall In - YouTube -- adam and the ants - dont be square (be there) - YouTube -- Adam and the Ants - Scorpios (Vinyl LP) - YouTube -- HUMAN BEINGS by ADAM AND THE ANTZ - YouTube -- Jolly Roger- Adam and The Ants - YouTube -- Adam Ant - Digital Tenderness/ Catholic Day - YouTube -- Animals and Men Adam Ant - YouTube -- ADAM AND THE ANTS - "Kick!" (1979) - YouTube -- Adam And The Ants - Car Trouble (Parts 1 & 2) - YouTube -- Adam And The Ants-Press Darlings - YouTube -- Adam Ant: Magnificent 5 - YouTube -- Adam and the Antz - 'Friends' from Antmusic EP. - YouTube -- Adam And The Ants - Picasso Visita el Planeta de los Simios - YouTube -- Adam & The Ants, Mowhok, live - YouTube -- ----------- Lyrics of great depth, radically unique vocals, anarchistic melodies, obscure harmonic patterns, varied and atypical rhythms all contribute to the vast, peculiar sonic-smorg delivered by Adam & The Ants.
I just listened to a bunch of that **** and i'll be damned, it's a lot more interesting sounding to me now than I remembered. Next time i'm at the thrift store I might pick up some of these on wax. It was so cool to hate on this **** when I was teen when it came out that I never really noticed. I used to hate Duran Duran in the 80's but now when I hear Rio on the radio that bass playing knocks me out. I'm so much more open to ALL music now than when I was younger, knew everything, and was cool.
Old 15th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 View Post
This was pretty unique, to me, and also stood out from a lot of 80's stuff I was into.
Incredible songs, incredible production, truly their best work in my mind.

They were on the radio so much, for so long, that I had forgotten how unique this one truly was. Hauntingly beautiful (even tortured as times) and well constructed songs, great production, outstanding singing, playing, and sequencing. This one was pretty cutting edge at that time. I actually bought the remaster a few years back and really enjoyed hearing it again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search