The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most unique albums of all time Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 12th September 2011
  #61
Lives for gear
The Beatles had songs that influenced/invented genres. Plural.
Old 12th September 2011
  #62
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by unitymusic View Post
The Beatles had songs that influenced/invented genres. Plural.
maybe 'sub' genres
Old 12th September 2011
  #63
Lives for gear
 
hasbeen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
sorry but this is opinion too and I think a wrong one. that's all I'm saying
That answers my question. Thank you.
Old 12th September 2011
  #64
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRobb View Post
At the time it was released, "Sultans Of Swing" by Dire Straits was a breath of fresh air.
In the middle of the decade of overproduced, drowning in reverb, 1/4 note long snare it was simple, dry, straight ahead playing.
.

Great record. Great guitarist. I learned every riff on every song on every DS album on my nylon string guitar in high school. (I couldn't afford an electric). That nylon string had the widest neck, thickest strings, and highest action in history. When I finally switched to Strat for the Knopfler licks, it was like - hala-freekin-lujah!



Great songwriting, great vocal phrasing, and great vibe on that first DS album, no doubt!

And up until the late 82s, the best rock band I'd ever saw live, as well.

My first drum teacher here in the US actually taught Pick Withers how to play drums (back in the UK).

.
Old 12th September 2011
  #65
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
maybe 'sub' genres
.

You mean like shoegaze? Or is that an actual genre?

.
Old 12th September 2011
  #66
In modern times, some that would definitely be fairly unique that I can think of are:

1. Lisa Germano's "Lullabye for Liquid Pig". It has some really tingly stuff on it, like this one:

"From A Shell" by Lisa Germano - YouTube

2. Joanna Newsom's "Ys". It's easy to listen to a few seconds of it and dismiss it. But if you give it a chance, it's pretty amazing stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGoNCvoZuYA
Old 12th September 2011
  #67
Lives for gear
 
doug hazelrigg's Avatar
Wait. By "unique" do we mean "influential" or "great?" I can think of a number of recordings that are unique, as in, "never replicated in their essence" but that doesn't necessarily mean they were great or influential.

Among the recordings that are IMO unique but also great:

MBV -- Loveless
Van Morrison -- Astral Weeks
Jan Gabarek -- Officium
Emmylou -- Wrecking Ball
Surfjan Stevens -- Illinois
TV on the Radio -- Cookie Mountain
Ray -- Modern Sounds in Country and Western Music
Lauryn Hill -- Mis-education
Lennon -- Plastic Ono band
De La Soul -- 3 Foot High & Rising
Alanis -- Jagged Little Pill
Outkast -- Stankonia
Love -- Forever Changes
Zappa -- Freak Out
RHCP -- BSSM
NIN -- Downward Spiral
Janet Jackson -- Rhythm Nation
Cyndi lauper == She's So Unusual
Fugees -- The Score
Marvin Gaye -- Here, My Dear
Devo -- Are We Not Men?
Eno -- Here Come the Warm jets
Eno -- Another Green World
Cpt Beefheart -- Trout Mask Replica
a couple of Soul Coughing albums
and many more...
Old 12th September 2011
  #68
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
somehow I don't think metallica, pantera or even sabbathowe much to the beatles musically and definitely not lyrically...
Don't be so sure.

Ozzy Osbourne: "To me, they're the Mozarts of our time. The Beatles were the only band in rock 'n' roll history to go from a f**king boy band to a psychedelic rock band, and it was all accepted because Lennon and McCartney wrote such great melodies. Listen to Sgt Pepper - there's a track on that album for everyone. They were the f**king catalyst for me to get into music."
Old 12th September 2011
  #69
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post
.

Great record. Great guitarist. I learned every riff on every song on every DS album on my nylon string guitar in high school. (I couldn't afford an electric). That nylon string had the widest neck, thickest strings, and highest action in history. When I finally switched to Strat for the Knopfler licks, it was like - hala-freekin-lujah!



Great songwriting, great vocal phrasing, and great vibe on that first DS album, no doubt!

And up until the late 82s, the best rock band I'd ever saw live, as well.

My first drum teacher here in the US actually taught Pick Withers how to play drums (back in the UK).

.
I saw them at The Bottom Line around that time.
Yeah- they pretty much killed.
Old 12th September 2011
  #70
Gear Maniac
 
ArnieInTheSky's Avatar
 

I didn't see any Primus votes. Pork Soda was the last original album imo. I never heard anything like "Bob." You can hear their influences but the final production is the only of its kind.
Old 12th September 2011
  #71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Hayat View Post
Let's have a list!

Unique means just that - unique. It doesn't mean what you like/don't like, it doesn't mean what sounds good to your ears, it doesn't mean what is popular/not popular....it means unique. Here are some examples:

Led Zeppelin (1969) - that was unique

Motley Crue's 'Shout At The Devil' -tho a bit different for it's time, not unique

Zappa's 'Freak Out - unique

Pink's 'Can't Take Me Home' - umm, no


This list should be all-encompassing; any genre, any year, etc. Undoubtedly, there are going to be some albums that some may disagree with and feel aren't really unique; that's fine. Just use your better judgement, and don't list something just because you like it.

Here's what I can come up with off the top of my head:

  • Frank Zappa 'Freak Out'
  • Led Zeppelin (1969)
  • Metallica 'Kill 'Em All'
  • Jimi Hendrix Experience 'Are You Experienced'
  • Van Halen - 'VH1'
  • Black Sabbath - 'Black Sabbath'
  • Spiral Architect - 'A Sceptic's Universe'
  • Pink Floyd - 'The Wall'


Continue....
Van Dyke Parks, Song Cycle
United States of America, United States of America
Andy Pratt, Andy Pratt
Incredible String Band, The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
Captain Beefheart, Clear Spot*

I got more on the tip of my tongue but I haven't had coffee yet... I see Doug's got more than a couple that would/will be on my big list. Astral Weeks and Freak Out, the Eno's, for sure.

* Many of Beefheart's albums rank high in unique aspects/features but Clear Spot managed to field a top 40 hit with the silly but ingratiating, "Too Much Time," included the eerily beautiful love song "Blue Million Miles," and still made room for all the ultra-bohemian weirdness of prime Beefheart.
Old 12th September 2011
  #72
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
maybe 'sub' genres
Perhaps that is fair. So maybe it is more appropriate to say they broke down genre barriers in popular music rather than inventing a genre. Though I don't really see the distinction of 'sub genres' vs. genres. The Beatles covered far more musical ground than could be described with any genre.
Old 12th September 2011
  #73
Gear Addict
 

Pink Floyd - Ummagumma
Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
Dead Can Dance - The Serpent's Egg
Old 12th September 2011
  #74
Sky
Lives for gear
 
Sky's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Don't be so sure.

Ozzy Osbourne: "To me, they're the Mozarts of our time. The Beatles were the only band in rock 'n' roll history to go from a f**king boy band to a psychedelic rock band, and it was all accepted because Lennon and McCartney wrote such great melodies. Listen to Sgt Pepper - there's a track on that album for everyone. They were the f**king catalyst for me to get into music."
I think Ozzy's last line says it best. How many of us, when asked who our inspirations are, include on the list a few artists who we sound nothing like nor even try to? Inspiration can be really funny that way.

Sky
Old 12th September 2011
  #75
Gear Maniac
 

Beatles - all the albums with the exception of very early stuff with the cover songs of others

Pink Floyd - the Wall, DSOTM
Old 12th September 2011
  #76
Gear Addict
 

Been said already but I'll echo those words. Sgt. Pepper.
Old 12th September 2011
  #77
Gear Guru
I don't know about unique, but for revolutionary we need a tip of the hat to Bob Dylan's "Bringing It All Back Home" (1965) when folk music plugged in. The music scene changed as a result of that record.

That was released in March. December of the same year the Beatles released Rubber Soul.
Old 12th September 2011
  #78
Lives for gear
 
RCM - Ronan's Avatar
Public Image Limited: The Flowers of Romance.
King Crimson: Discipline
Butthole Surfers: Locust Abortion Technicians
Old 12th September 2011
  #79
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by theblue1 View Post
Van Dyke Parks, Song Cycle
United States of America, United States of America
Andy Pratt, Andy Pratt
Incredible String Band, The Hangman's Beautiful Daughter
Captain Beefheart, Clear Spot*

I got more on the tip of my tongue but I haven't had coffee yet... I see Doug's got more than a couple that would/will be on my big list. Astral Weeks and Freak Out, the Eno's, for sure.

* Many of Beefheart's albums rank high in unique aspects/features but Clear Spot managed to field a top 40 hit with the silly but ingratiating, "Too Much Time," included the eerily beautiful love song "Blue Million Miles," and still made room for all the ultra-bohemian weirdness of prime Beefheart.
I was going to say Song Cycle. United States Of America were also totally out there. I'd also add:

David Ackles- American Gothic
Love- Forever Changes
Nico- Chelsea Girls
Lou Reed- Berlin, Metal Machine Music
Bobb Trimble- Iron Curtain Innocence
Incredible String Band- Incredible String Band
Captain Beefheart- Safe As Milk
Pink Floyd- Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Michael Yonkers- Michael Yonkers
Roky Erickson- Easter Everywhere
Spool- Four Sides To Every Story

The problem is a lot of stuff that was once very unique and 'out there,' became so copied subsequently that it now doesn't seem so radical eg Stooges, Velvet Underground, Beatles, Hendrix.
Old 12th September 2011
  #80
Gear Addict
 
capnreverb's Avatar
 

Most of the rock records i would choose have all ready been mentioned. So have a few of the jazz records.

Rock
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom. Words dont even begin to describe this solemn masterpiece.
Henry Cow - any of their reocrds. No one has ever come close to this f'd up take on prog/classical/jazz/noise.
Univers Zero - 1313. If Batok had formed a prog group it would have been this.

Jazz
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity. Nothing like it ever, ever. No jazz listener should be without it. Not only is the horn playing unique, the way the bass and drums communicate is almost telepathic, on some sort of godly evel.
Sonny Sharrock - Ask The Ages . The album that Coltrane and Hendrix would have made if that stars had aligned.
Jimmy Giuffre - Thesis/Fusion/1961 and Free Fall. Possibly the most important jazz recordings that so few have heard. Nothing in 1961 sounded like this, nothing. This is the true beginning of free improv/european free jazz.

Classical- There are so many I can list, but ill try to keep it short. Most of these composers you can find clips on youtube.

Giacinto Scelsi - The father of one note minimislism and also "spectral" music.
Stockhausen - You could almost say that Stockhuasen is the German word for unique
Bela Bartok - String Quartets. the litmus test of quality for 20th century string quartets. Nothing touches these.
George Antheil - Ballet Mechanique .This caused a riot at it premier almost a hundred years ago and still sounds f'ing cool.
John Cage/Morton Feldman - One side of the minamlist spectrum.
Steve Reich/Terry Riley/Phillip Glass - The other side of that spectrum
Arvo Part/John Tavener - The religious minimalists.
The late Beethoven string Quartets - The best music ever composed by anyone in any genre
George Rochbergs third string quartet. someone had to close the door on 12tone, thank god it was this dark as **** masterpiece.
Per Norgard - forging a new voice in new classical
Messian - the great outsider of 20th century music trends. any of his orchestral stuff and especially his Quartet For The End Of Time
Ligeti
Berio
Xenakis
Boulez - these four are the heavyweights for sure.
Brian Ferneyhough - Music as f'ing complicated as one can make it. You can add Wolfgang Rihm in there as well.
Allan Petterson - any of his orchestral works. This dude was not really liked or understand in his time. It's incredable dense stuff.
Takemitsu - Really cool and unique Japanese modern classical
Alfred Schnittke - String quartets and paino quintet The most important Russican compser of the last fifty years.
I could go on forever but I know most of the folks on here dont really know/like/have the patience for classical music. But here are some more names.
Henry Cowell
George Crumb
Charles Ives
Gloria Coates
Harry Partch
Horatio Radelscu
Hans Otte
Erwin Schulhoff
Gorecki
David Diamond
Roger Sessions
Conlon Nancarrow - Player Piano stuff. Oh my f'ng god.
Alan Hovhannes - just his chamber music, orchestral- no!
Anything by the Arditti Quartet. If that name is on the cd, it will be unique!
Sofia Gublidiana
Dumitrescu
Cerha
James Tenney
and on and on and on and on
Old 12th September 2011
  #81
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
I was going to say Song Cycle. United States Of America were also totally out there. I'd also add:

David Ackles- American Gothic
Love- Forever Changes
Nico- Chelsea Girls
Lou Reed- Berlin, Metal Machine Music
Bobb Trimble- Iron Curtain Innocence
Incredible String Band- Incredible String Band
Captain Beefheart- Safe As Milk
Pink Floyd- Piper At The Gates Of Dawn
Michael Yonkers- Michael Yonkers
Roky Erickson- Easter Everywhere
Spool- Four Sides To Every Story

The problem is a lot of stuff that was once very unique and 'out there,' became so copied subsequently that it now doesn't seem so radical eg Stooges, Velvet Underground, Beatles, Hendrix.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
Most of the rock records i would choose have all ready been mentioned. So have a few of the jazz records.

Rock
Robert Wyatt - Rock Bottom. Words dont even begin to describe this solemn masterpiece.
Henry Cow - any of their reocrds. No one has ever come close to this f'd up take on prog/classical/jazz/noise.
Univers Zero - 1313. If Batok had formed a prog group it would have been this.

Jazz
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity. Nothing like it ever, ever. No jazz listener should be without it. Not only is the horn playing unique, the way the bass and drums communicate is almost telepathic, on some sort of godly evel.
Sonny Sharrock - Ask The Ages . The album that Coltrane and Hendrix would have made if that stars had aligned.
Jimmy Giuffre - Thesis/Fusion/1961 and Free Fall. Possibly the most important jazz recordings that so few have heard. Nothing in 1961 sounded like this, nothing. This is the true beginning of free improv/european free jazz.

Classical- There are so many I can list, but ill try to keep it short. Most of these composers you can find clips on youtube.

Giacinto Scelsi - The father of one note minimislism and also "spectral" music.
Stockhausen - You could almost say that Stockhuasen is the German word for unique
Bela Bartok - String Quartets. the litmus test of quality for 20th century string quartets. Nothing touches these.
George Antheil - Ballet Mechanique .This caused a riot at it premier almost a hundred years ago and still sounds f'ing cool.
John Cage/Morton Feldman - One side of the minamlist spectrum.
Steve Reich/Terry Riley/Phillip Glass - The other side of that spectrum
Arvo Part/John Tavener - The religious minimalists.
The late Beethoven string Quartets - The best music ever composed by anyone in any genre
George Rochbergs third string quartet. someone had to close the door on 12tone, thank god it was this dark as **** masterpiece.
Per Norgard - forging a new voice in new classical
Messian - the great outsider of 20th century music trends. any of his orchestral stuff and especially his Quartet For The End Of Time
Ligeti
Berio
Xenakis
Boulez - these four are the heavyweights for sure.
Brian Ferneyhough - Music as f'ing complicated as one can make it. You can add Wolfgang Rihm in there as well.
Allan Petterson - any of his orchestral works. This dude was not really liked or understand in his time. It's incredable dense stuff.
Takemitsu - Really cool and unique Japanese modern classical
Alfred Schnittke - String quartets and paino quintet The most important Russican compser of the last fifty years.
I could go on forever but I know most of the folks on here dont really know/like/have the patience for classical music. But here are some more names.
Henry Cowell
George Crumb
Charles Ives
Gloria Coates
Harry Partch
Horatio Radelscu
Hans Otte
Erwin Schulhoff
Gorecki
David Diamond
Roger Sessions
Conlon Nancarrow - Player Piano stuff. Oh my f'ng god.
Alan Hovhannes - just his chamber music, orchestral- no!
Anything by the Arditti Quartet. If that name is on the cd, it will be unique!
Sofia Gublidiana
Dumitrescu
Cerha
James Tenney
and on and on and on and on
I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thread but these two -- and particularly the second have some real heavy hitters in the uniqueness derby -- and more than a few un- or less familiar names that I'm going to have to check out.

Particular props on Vince's suggestion of Metal Machine Music (and I'd throw in the far less perplexing sounding but certainly relentless Berlin, too) and Roky Erickson as well as... well, so much of Capn's list. Of the stuff I even know, I'd cite Wyatt, Henry Cow (and I see he got Henry Cowell along with his outsider rock namesake), Sharrock, Ayler, Nancarrow, Ives, Partch, Xenakis... I can see there's going to be plenty of other stuff I don't know for me to chew on in just that last post alone...

I'll ditto Capn's eloquent sum up on Wyatt's Rock Bottom... it's an utterly haunting album. I loved his pre-accident drumming, too, though it makes me sad to think about -- even as Soft Machine and particularly the Matching Mole stuff make me smile and sometimes laugh out loud.
Old 12th September 2011
  #82
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Don't be so sure.

Ozzy Osbourne: "To me, they're the Mozarts of our time. The Beatles were the only band in rock 'n' roll history to go from a f**king boy band to a psychedelic rock band, and it was all accepted because Lennon and McCartney wrote such great melodies. Listen to Sgt Pepper - there's a track on that album for everyone. They were the f**king catalyst for me to get into music."
just because you like something doesn't mean you are a spin off. I was referring to one person quote here. Anyway Sabbath was not a Beatles spin-off in any way shape or form. sure ozzy liked The Beatles. everyone does but to say everything since is a spin-off....... is a lie. Did any of you Beatle guys ever hear of Chuck Berry? Pet Sounds? Phil Spector? Bob Dylan? Jerry Lee Lewis? Elvis? The Rolling Stones? The Beatles rocked, they were great but they didn't invent rock and roll, they were not the first band to write great songs or produce records in the studio. They may have been the biggest band to never recreate their biggest records in a live venue though.
Old 13th September 2011
  #83
kdp
Lives for gear
 

Jeff Beck Blow By Blow. Amazing album. Amazing artist.
Old 13th September 2011
  #84
Lives for gear
 
doug hazelrigg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by vincentvangogo View Post
Lou Reed- Metal Machine Music
Actually... that may be the MOST unique record ever. Even Phillip Glass didn't venture THAT into structuralist weirdness
Old 13th September 2011
  #85
Lives for gear
 

Nurse With Wound: A Chance Meeting of an Umbrella and a Sewing Machine on a Dissecting Table


and some others by NWW
Old 13th September 2011
  #86
Lives for gear
 
doug hazelrigg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post

Jazz
Albert Ayler - Spiritual Unity. Nothing like it ever, ever. No jazz listener should be without it. Not only is the horn playing unique, the way the bass and drums communicate is almost telepathic, on some sort of godly evel.
I thought about citing a long list of jazz and classical recordings, but assumed the OP was about pop/rock, so thanks for breaking the ice.

I thought about Ayler, but my take on the topic was recordings that were unique even within the artist's ouevre. A few of Ayler's albums -- all of which are intrguing -- run together for me in my memory, but Spiritual Unity and My Name is Albert Ayler stick out for me. Great call!

Also: I don't think anyone mentioned anything from Anthony Braxton -- now THAT guy is truly "out there"

In the classical vein, such a list would be so exhaustive as to be too daunting to attempt. I did cite the Gabarek recording (done with the Hilliard Ensemble if memory serves). Another great one that comes to mind is "Susan Graham sings the Songs of Ned Rorem" which for me is unique in that it's artsong that doesn't pander to the "conventions of the avant garde" and is a truly beautiful recording
Old 13th September 2011
  #87
Gear Guru
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
just because you like something doesn't mean you are a spin off. I was referring to one person quote here. Anyway Sabbath was not a Beatles spin-off in any way shape or form. sure ozzy liked The Beatles. everyone does but to say everything since is a spin-off....... is a lie. Did any of you Beatle guys ever hear of Chuck Berry? Pet Sounds? Phil Spector? Bob Dylan? Jerry Lee Lewis? Elvis? The Rolling Stones? The Beatles rocked, they were great but they didn't invent rock and roll, they were not the first band to write great songs or produce records in the studio. They may have been the biggest band to never recreate their biggest records in a live venue though.
Actually, they made their greatest records when they let go of the idea that they had to be able to recreate them live.
Old 13th September 2011
  #88
Gear Addict
 
capnreverb's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdp View Post
Jeff Beck Blow By Blow. Amazing album. Amazing artist.
Huh? Unique? I'm confused. If this post was about favorite guitarists or albums I can see. There is nothing unique about Jeff Beck. I like the Dire Straights and Al Green and George Jones etc, but they sure as **** aint unique, they aint breaking any new ground, building something new. Jeff Beck doesn't have an avant garde bone in his body.
Old 13th September 2011
  #89
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by capnreverb View Post
The late Beethoven string Quartets - The best music ever composed by anyone in any genre
At the ripe young age of 8 years, I bought a box set of LPs of the late quartets. I only had a few records at the time, so I played it enough to basically know it, but I just didn't get it. Later, when I heard the late quartets performed properly, I realized that the musicians in that box set were the ones that hadn't gotten it.
Old 13th September 2011
  #90
Lives for gear
 
vincentvangogo's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertshaw View Post
just because you like something doesn't mean you are a spin off. I was referring to one person quote here. Anyway Sabbath was not a Beatles spin-off in any way shape or form. sure ozzy liked The Beatles. everyone does but to say everything since is a spin-off....... is a lie. Did any of you Beatle guys ever hear of Chuck Berry? Pet Sounds? Phil Spector? Bob Dylan? Jerry Lee Lewis? Elvis? The Rolling Stones? The Beatles rocked, they were great but they didn't invent rock and roll, they were not the first band to write great songs or produce records in the studio. They may have been the biggest band to never recreate their biggest records in a live venue though.
I don't think anyone is saying they invented rock 'n' roll. And they were the first to acknowledge the debt they owed Chuck Berry, Elvis, Dylan, Brian Wilson, Motown etc. I think all people are saying is they were massively influential in many different areas- more so than any other single artist.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump