The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
POD HD (Bean) custom patches Effects Pedals, Units & Accessories
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

POD HD (Bean) custom patches

Recently got the newish Pod HD Desktop (black bean) and I really like the sound but the factory presets really are mostly nonsense except a few nice rock and metal tones. I immediately updated all the software and firmware after getting it and am also using the HD Edit software but it would be nice to find some custom presets of the rock and metal style. I found the few that have been uploaded to Line 6 :: Custom Tone but the "bean" presets are still few and many are too mellow for what I'm looking for. I do plan to tweak some in HD Edit but its nice to have a bunch to search through.

I own lots of Amp plugs and they are nice to have but to my ears the POD HD's Amps and distortions are more convincing to my ears than any plug I have or have tried. Not sure why but plug distortion emulations so often sound fuzzy or buzzy imo. My favorite plug if I could only choose one of what I have is the Studio Devil Amp Modeler Pro.

Anyway, I'm digging the Pod HD Bean, just need some rock & metal sounds to fill out the potential of this unit.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Head

I'm having the same issues with my hd desktop. Only thing I've found myself so far is download the hd500 tones and open them up in the editer and copy what presets they have and try it out. Makes more trial and error in the process, but found some killer tones that I can't get enough of! Good luck on your journey of the killer tone!
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Addict

Here's a small smattering of some of my POD HD Bean patches. I need to pull off the latest batch of them. I've used these for a bunch of TV shows and commercials. Times I turn off the fx and just using the basic amp model and use post fx in protools later, depending on what I need. As always depending on your guitar, might need to adjust EQ'ing to taste.

I can add the rest after my next backup...
Attached Files
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks, "I.O.N.", Cool name btw. As cool and popular as the POD HD has been you'd think someone would have created some killer preset packages by now. I will soon grab the guitar and jam away with 'em.

It woulda really been nice if all the HD series presets were compatible.

I will also try Vorocity's suggestion.
Old 19th September 2011
Gear Addict

Thanks MBD! I used to do that way back in the day, but since I'm with the "company" now that's sort of a conflict of interest. I still have a patch database for all the older products still up on my Line 6 users group site... www.instituteofnoise.com

One thing to remember is that all the presets were really designed to show off what it can do. It's rare that most will work for any one in particular. A buddy of mine who is Steve Vai's producer/engineer, uses his POD HD (not Vai's) with all the stock presets and loves them. He just dials back all the effects by half and that's what he runs with most of the time.
Old 19th September 2011
I'm loving the HD bean too. Sorry I don't bother saving patches - I just tweak it like a real amp and FX chain. I love the way it keeps everything the way I left it, even after power off/on.

I recommend that you just create a patch that is simply one amp, followed the "Tube compressor". Just the default setting for the tube compressor for a start. Then, just dig into the amps and try all the combinations of cabs and mics ... endless variety, and I know you can get as nasty as you want. If not - you can always add a stompbox distortion in front.

I highly recommend this approach over simply trying other people's presets. You'll become very familiar with how everything interacts. And by leaving the FX off, you don't get distracted from finding the basic raw tone. Maybe put some room reverb on if it helps (especially with heaphones), but once you get into playing with the FX you'll lose all sense of time and space ...

I have the XT and the X3, but this is best.

Big hint to Line6 or their competitors.

I REALLY wish Line6 would make single unit rack models for guitar players who use the Relay wireless rack (or even build it into a wireless rack reciever - that would be WAY cool).

I went away from rack gear for a while - but now that wireless is the way to go, I want to go back there. I have mounted my POD Hd into a rack by bolting the angle bracket onto a steel tray, so it takes up about 4 rack spaces. Not ideal ...
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Addict

The new POD HD Pro was just released. It's now back to 2 spaces. It just won't fit into 1 with display and functions it does. Specifications | POD HD Pro | Line 6
Old 20th September 2011
Woohoo! Gotta get me this!

EDIT ... what a damn shame that Line6 didn't put the inputs on the back ... did it not enter their thinking that guitar players want to use wireless receivers such as their own Relay system ... patch cables running into the front is so uncool. Maybe I could use the -10 unbalanced line level, but the Relay concept is unity gain, so it's not quite right.

I *WISH* the Line6 Relay had digital output, so it could interface with a POD without two redundant converters in the chain ...
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search