The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Multiface 1 any good? Audio Interfaces
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Multiface 1 any good?

Hi

I'm looking to upgrade from some very basic gear (M-Audio 2496 and ART Tube MP) to a mid-range setup.

My next steps were going to be some room treatment and a DIY pre from JLM Audio or FiveFish but I've just heard about a Multiface going cheap (about £100). I don't need all the extra channels and digital I/O but I would be interested if it's a step up in audio quality. Do you think this has significantly better conversion than the 2496 or should I hold off for something better?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have both the 2496 and Multiface I. The 2496 is a great card, and very stable....but Multiface I sounds better than the M Audio, IMO. The extra digital and analog I/O are helpful when transferring multiple tracks...I used mine to transfer 8 drum tracks from tape to DAW and the sound quality was excellent... at that price of 100 its a no brainer upgrade.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Multiface 1

There are mark 1, 2 and 3....are you sure the 1 is up to snuff?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I started out with a 2496 and upgraded to a Multiface II, night and day. Converters are much better, tighter low end and more high end detail. If the specs of the I are anywhere near the II, definitely worth it. It requires a seperate PCI card to connect to your DAW, make sure it's available also.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vintageidiot View Post
There are mark 1, 2 and 3....are you sure the 1 is up to snuff?
Nah...they only have marks I and II.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks everyone for your advice. Someone else got it in the end :(
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

I finally picked one up for a little over £200 with PCI card. They often go for less on ebay UK (make sure you're searching Europe-wide).

This must be one of the best bargains you can get right now in audio gear. No pres but got to be a better buy than any budget USB interface at the same price.
Old 11th November 2011
Lives for gear

Using one for 11 years now.First few years with the pcmcia card now with pci.
Not 1 Problem in 11 years.I will not upgrade for anything.When it dies i buy the mf2 and be done with it.Best Interface ever ime.
Old 11th November 2011
The II's are still good deals when you can find them used. The fact that they aren't all that commonly available probably speaks to their efficacy. But you can find them for $800'ish with the PCIe card. I have two of them in tandem for 16 I/O and they are really solid and high performance. At about $800'ish each, that's just shy of half the price of a Lynx 16, and you'd still need to purchase an AES card or some such on top of that. You can put up to three MFII's in the same machine. You just connect them with word clock and make one the master and the others slaves.

They don't provide you with a magically integrated mixer/matrix when you use more than one. You have to set them up separately, but that's not much of a big deal.
Old 12th November 2011
Lives for gear

So far I'm impressed. Seems like a perfect solution to getting sound in and and out of a computer with options for just about any kind of connection you're likely to need.

Even though I never record more than two tracks at a time I've already found a use for the extra connectivity. It's much more convenient if you can leave everything plugged in: synth, FX send and return, pres, etc.
Old 14th November 2011
BTW, I have a MFII w/PCIe card for sale in the classifieds if someone is looking for one.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search