The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
what would you do? (vocal mic question) Studio Headphones
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

what would you do? (vocal mic question)

Ok, so you're tracking male vox. you have a total "less than ideal" monitoring environment (sennheiser hd280 headphones) and three vocal mics to choose from; An SM7,AT 4050, and a Groove Tubes Gt-57. You have a shoot out and come to the conclusion that the SM7 has the least potential problems straight out the gate (no sibilance issues and dynamicly a little more forgiving) but doesn't make the vox sit very well in the mix pre-processing. The 4050 has a bit more of a finished sound than the sm7 but still doesn't sit great in the mix on its own pre-processing. The GT-57 sits better in the mix but seems potentially problematic for sibilance issues pre-processing. The songs will be mixed after all tracking is done but for the time being I can't really experiment with eqing the sm7 to polish it out or de-ess the Gt-57 at this point. Since it is hard to tell anything just monitoring through headphones it all is up in the air as to what actually sounds better. You have to get these tracks done asap....what would you do?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Throw up all three and pick the best track. I've used two mics at a time on vocals before, and it gives you some flexibility. Blending a little of another track can really make a difference.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Thanks for the reply. I feel that the sm7 would definitely be the common denominator. It takes eq well but that isn't always a guarantee that I will make it sit in the mix right. They tend to get "boxy" to my ears fairly easily too. I am super surprised that this thread has so many views and only one reply.I guess it wasn't a slutty enough post.....maybe it should of went to low end?
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Guru

There is no question whatsoever: I would go with whatever sat in the mix the best right out of the gate. I understand you're concerned about the sibilance post-processing, but the idea is to choose the mic that demands the least post-processing so you don't end up with problems like excessive sibilance.

And of all the problems a vocal track can exhibit, sibilance is arguably the easiest to tame with the most transparent results. Automate the offending suckers down, move on.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

exactly! stop being a pussy and hit record!!!
Old 11th September 2011
cqd
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger View Post
exactly! stop being a pussy and hit record!!!

Ha..this made me laugh..
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Yes! Now that is exactly what I was looking for! I just said "f*ck it!" and went with the Gt-57. Just needed a bit of confidence in the decision making process. We'll see how it goes come mix time.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search