The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
What would sound better? This or that? Analog Processors (HW)
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

What would sound better? This or that?

In the market for a HW mixer. Just cannot get away with mixing down with a mouse and keyboard, just not my thing. Feel more like a computer nerd than an mix engineer.

I have been debating for weeks between the great sound but high maintenance of a classic older console like a Delta or a Bullet. Or a newer worse sounding low maintenance and small footprint like a A&H MW or Zed 4 buss

But then it hits me. Surely whatever I get is limited by my A/D D/A convertor? Currently a MOTU 24 I/O

So, hypothetically speaking,. what is likely to sound better?

A Mackie 8 buss / A&H Mix Wizard / Zed 4 Buss through an SSL AX or a classic console through my MOTU 24?

I can afford one of the other. Any classic console I buy (Looking at a bullet for a £1000ish) will need re capping etc. Id like it serviced and capped before it even gets to me. Cant be doing with something that may go bang a month later in the middle of a session so say £1500 for all that.

But for £500 more I could get a Mixwizzard 16:2 and a SSL AX.

Any educated guesses or better still, experience of what would sound best?
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I wouldt buy a cheaper board,get yourself a big sounding console that is in the best shape you can find. Older consoles dont always have to have a recap to still sound good.Get a console that has a nice sounding eq and worry about the converter later because you can always save up and upgrade that. I use an adat hd24xr and the converters sound great to me in it. Get a console with some transformers and maybe inductor eq's and you might make your converter sound better then you ever thought?

The mackie eq is so brittle and harsh..

Just my 2 cents
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Anything newer and small just won't add much character to justify your otb experience. I would seek a nice classic console with a nice personality to it.

Forget anything Mackie or the like.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

for what you will spend on any small, medium format console you'd be way better off spending the money on a control surface, if mixing with faders and knobs is what your after. If you want to mix outboard for the otb sound (on board EQ's, input and output trannies) and summing qualities then you need to either consider an old large format console which could be rife with maintenance issues, a newer large format console, which will set you back a mint load of cash, or consider the world of summing boxes ah la, Dangerous gear, XRack or Xdesk, etc. (there's heaps I haven't mentioned summing box wise).

Small to medium cheap mixing desks will tend to make your mixes sound smaller and constrained, especially when mixing 24 or more source signals and/or attempting to use the onboard EQ's.

saggsy
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies guys.

One of the biggest problems I have with a classic console is the sheer size. Im in a bedroom studio here. My friend is selling a TAC B2 that looks perfect. But where the hell am I going to put it lol.

Saggsy

Quote:
for what you will spend on any small, medium format console you'd be way better off spending the money on a control surface, if mixing with faders and knobs is what your after. If you want to mix outboard for the otb sound
I have thought this many many times yet no one offers what im after.

If some manufacture could put together a control surface for the Waves SSL bundle I honestly think it would clean up. Im talking one knob for each knob on the VST, one button for each button on the VST etc etc!

(Not one knob with one button you press to change what the one knob does like a digital mixer what to me defeats the object of the tactile feel in the first place.)

Maybe ill have to try and find a place for this bullet.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search