The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Starting from scratch! Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

Starting from scratch!

Last week, I did a recording for a close friend after which we drove out to a show in Providence during which someone broke into my car and stole my entire rack.

I'm not looking for sympathy, but I am looking for some advice on how to rebuild.

After fixing my window I have about $500-$800 to spend on an interface (the first step). These are what I'm currently looking into:
MOTU 8pre | Sweetwater.com
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SaffirePro40/
Mackie Onyx Blackbird | Sweetwater.com

I'm more than willing to take other options into account. I'm also willing to expand my price range for valid reasons.

Thoughts please!
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Providence can be a savage place. I would keep an eye on your local craigslist for the stolen gear to pop up... Also monitor ebay 'within your area code' style.

I've heard great things about the 2626.
Old 11th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baroque View Post

I've heard great things about the 2626.
I was looking into that, but I've heard the opposite. An old colleague of mine bought one and his was fraught with problems (though this may have been an isolated incident). He had a constant buzzing in monitors and the second preamp didn't work at all.
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have a 610 and its solid. I'd go for the 2626 as well.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Addict
Check to see which of those units has the most stable drivers for operation w/ your operating system.

How many channels do you need? Mac or Win? FireWire, USB, or Pci based?

These questions cam help narrow your choices down.

Sorry to hear about the theft. Hope it turns up soon and undamaged.

Matt
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by roy_mattie View Post
How many channels do you need? Mac or Win? FireWire, USB, or Pci based?

Matt
I'd like to have 8 XLR ins for maximum possibilities. Mac based and Firewire for speed and because i frequently use my Macbook Pro instead of my desktop for mobile recordings.

I really have narrowed down my choices. I was just wondering if anyone had experience/warnings about these three interfaces.
Old 13th September 2011
I own the 2626 and had to send it to the repair shop. It was aways racked never moved and the main board just died out of the blue. Good conversion decent sound and good preamps. If I had it to do it over again I would have gone with a Steinberg mr816, I have heard really good things about this device for the price. I also own a apogee ensemble but it is out of your price range.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search