The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Seriously, room and monitors first..... Monitor Controllers
Old 17th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by O.F.F. View Post
Passive crossovers are anything but transparent and they eat at least half the power before it reaches the drivers. The main culprit is the inductor in the signal path of the lo pass section, I have substantially less issues with caps in the signal path.

Room treatment is paramount regardless of monitors used IME. A fantastic monitor will still sound like crap in a bad room, quite possibly worse than cheap(ish) ones in a well treated room.

Yes, great post. I agree with you 100%, but it also depends on the monitors and rooms.

You can have cheap monitors with big bass that will TOTALLY wreck everything in a mid sized reflective room.

I've tried and tried and tried to mix on Mackie 824s in all kinds of spaces, and I almost killed myself.

Personally, I can't even THINK about mixing on ****ty monitors, anymore. I just don't want to have to deal with crappy drivers.

I'd rather simply create a pseudo-anechoic chamber around my listening position - again, in at least a mid sized room - and use PROPER monitors with PROPER tweeters, PROPER crossover design, PROPERLY-powered drivers, etc.

I do agree that the room - and room treatment - are absolutely CRITICAL. No doubt.

Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years View Post
i agree with this. I would rather have low end monitoring in a well treated room.
I disagree with that.

There are different ways to set up monitors in a room.. try the 38% rule but reversed. Your monitors are at 38% and you're sitting with your back to the wall.
This gives 62% of the room being empty behind the speakers and gives you a more even and accurate balance. Obviously you need a larger room to fit everything in the first 38% but it's a good work around for using larger speakers.
Old 17th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff16years View Post
What do you think of the Coleman products? I've heard some good things...

I like the Coleman stuff a lot, my first time using one was probably 5+ years ago and it struck me as being very clean compared to what I was used to using at the time, an old Mission Control from iAudio. Specifically, it was faster and had none of the IC hash I'd become accustomed to.

Sometime between then and now I was researching the competition and had the opportunity to compare a few of the more spendy monitor controllers; I came away with the impression that the Avocet is the gold standard for clarity. The Grace was pretty badass as well. The Coleman was very high quality but sometimes had a color to it that varied depending on what it was connected to and how. When connected to my active monitors it was quite clean, when connected to a Urei amp driving proacs it was quite veiled in comparison to the Avocet. The further the amp was from the unit, the heavier the veil, at 20' it became obtrusive and sounded to my ears like a .5 to 1dB rolloff on the highs.

On the upside, the Coleman is built like a friggin' tank, everything feels military grade. I'd say if you're using powered monitors or other type of active, high impedance input that's within 10' of the unit, and it's not an issue to have your volume control in a rack, it's an excellent choice. The biggest issue will be choosing a model... they have so many models!

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 17th September 2011
500 series nutjob

i love heavy built gear, and although reaching for some with no color is often what we want, i can live with a bit if the quality and service is there.

i how ever do have my radar set on one of the set ups you have out Gregory!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search