The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
looking for a "how to mix" book. Books
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

looking for a "how to mix" book.

hi there.
Im currently really into mixing.
I heard that there are some really good books on the subject and would really like to get some recommendations.
If it matters, im generally into mixing rock and metal (for lightest to the most heavy stuff).

and one more important thing : im all about recording "in the box", which means that books that talks about hardware stuff might not be the right ones for me.
(BTW im not trying to ignore or pass over the analogue world...its just that im not really surrounded by those right now and i didnt study about it yet)

thanks in advance.
Old 10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011

The former is awesome for a philosophical overview - but is really for the seasoned pro'......

the second book (the diaries) is just arse I'm afraid!! Great comedy read but no "use" to anyone learning this job.....

For rock? Go book yourself onto one of Joe Baressi's courses. About $800 and awesome. Or look at our own Ronan Chris Murphy's lessons.... better than any book!!
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Mixing Secrets for the Small Studioo by Mike Senior I found to be super informative.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

mixing audio
mixing secrets for the small studio

the 2 best I have come across and I have at least a dozen
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by narcoman View Post
The former is awesome for a philosophical overview - but is really for the seasoned pro'......

the second book (the diaries) is just arse I'm afraid!! Great comedy read but no "use" to anyone learning this job.....

For rock? Go book yourself onto one of Joe Baressi's courses. About $800 and awesome. Or look at our own Ronan Chris Murphy's lessons.... better than any book!!
Joe's mixing video should be out soon. I know they've been editing it up for the past few months and it looks GREAT!
Old 10th September 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Shepperd View Post
Joe's mixing video should be out soon. I know they've been editing it up for the past few months and it looks GREAT!
Fantastic. Let me have an (paid for) advance copy heh..... big fan of Joe's work. Met him in a car park at the Coach and Horses .... funny guy!!
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Paul Stavrou's Mixing With Your Mind is a real mind-expander. It's not really a book for anybody just starting out, but if you have experience of mixing already (and it sounds like you do) it might help you along. Many of the usual (important) practices are detailed within, but some of the more novel ideas are truly inspiring.

A good chunk of it is dedicated to tracking, but those chapters are equally worth a read. Some amazing ideas about "tactile recording". I find myself flicking through it before sessions to see if there's anything I haven't tried yet.
Old 11th September 2011
It's getting close .. so stay tuned..
jeff
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

id have to stick in a reply for "mixing with your mind" or zen and the art of mixing... together... priceless

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkinson View Post
hi there.
Im currently really into mixing.
I heard that there are some really good books on the subject and would really like to get some recommendations.
If it matters, im generally into mixing rock and metal (for lightest to the most heavy stuff).

and one more important thing : im all about recording "in the box", which means that books that talks about hardware stuff might not be the right ones for me.
(BTW im not trying to ignore or pass over the analogue world...its just that im not really surrounded by those right now and i didnt study about it yet)

thanks in advance.
read the reviews on google

mixerman is too advanced to start with
there are some better intro books

pick with with a 4start or higher rating
Old 11th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldeanalogueguy View Post

mixerman is too advanced to start with
there are some better intro books

pick with with a 4start or higher rating
As long as the reader understands basic signal flow and processing it's not too advanced. By design, it's a book you should be able to revisit throughout your development and make connections that were once too advanced. But the sooner one understands the kind of thinking that goes into high level mixing, the sooner one can concentrate on what's important.

Enjoy,

Mixerman
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

thank you very much for the suggestions !

Eventually i decided to purchase :

Mixing Audio: Concepts, Practices and Tools

and

Mixing Secrets for the small studio

im sure that ill buy some of your other suggestions in the future.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I second Stav's Mixing With Your Mind.
Old 12th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedEyeJedi View Post
Mixing Secrets for the Small Studioo by Mike Senior I found to be super informative.
+1 really informative and great for anyone who is learning to mix.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Kenny Gioia's mixing tutorials over at Groove3.com are really, really good !!

+1 for Ronan Chris Murphy's site as well.

Oh and of course - Check out Pensados Place !!!

All the best
J ;-)
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Head

Sometimes a bit metaphorical but yes a must have. I've found the interviews with the engineers (Bruce Swedien, George Massenberg, Don Hahn, Ed Say and many more) a huge help in stepping out of my comfortzone at times!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search