The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
question about hooking up avantone mixcube Summing Mixers
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

question about hooking up avantone mixcube

I have just hooked up a single avantone active mixcube and want to make sure I have set this up right. run a 1/4 cable from each of my L and R channels to Y connector(mono inputs to single stereo output) and connect it to the 1/4 input of the avantone.

My question, stupid as it may be, is doesn't this essentially make the audio I am hearing mono since it is both channels coming out of the one avantone speaker? When I use a "monoizer" plug in on the master bus I hear further changes in the sound which I did not expect.

spinedoc
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc View Post
I have just hooked up a single avantone active mixcube and want to make sure I have set this up right. run a 1/4 cable from each of my L and R channels to Y connector(mono inputs to single stereo output) and connect it to the 1/4 input of the avantone.

My question, stupid as it may be, is doesn't this essentially make the audio I am hearing mono since it is both channels coming out of the one avantone speaker? When I use a "monoizer" plug in on the master bus I hear further changes in the sound which I did not expect.

spinedoc
You should not sum those line level signals together without proper buffering. You probably won't damage your gear, because those line level signals don't have a lot of juice, but summing them as you're doing without proper buffering allows the output of the two amps to interfere with each other in ways that will degrade the sound.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Not sure how to buffer these. I did not realize running the left and right channels of my audiocards breakout box to a Y connector would "overload" the mixcube. Any suggestins how to remedy?
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinedoc View Post
Not sure how to buffer these. I did not realize running the left and right channels of my audiocards breakout box to a Y connector would "overload" the mixcube. Any suggestins how to remedy?
It's not that it's overloading the Mixcube, it's that connecting the outputs of two audio circuits together as you have (via your Y-cable) without buffering those outputs from one another means that the signal from the left is 'leaking' back in through the output of the right and creating problems that lead to the degradation of the signal arriving at the Mixcube. If you do a little basic research on how mixers work, you should get the idea.
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Nut

So I need a Y cable that states it is buffered for my application? Any suggestions on a good online place to purchase?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

I think you'd be better off just connecting the left side into the speaker and doing your mono digitally.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Or you could get a monitor controller that has a mono option.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Or you could get a monitor controller that has a mono option.
+1, that's the way to go.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear
I bought a Whirlwind IMCOML --- sure others makes something like it but I found it for a good price on Ebay... does exactly what you need. (make sure you get the LINE version, not the mic)

IMP LINE LEVEL COMBINER - Catalog - Whirlwind
Old 18th September 2011
Gear Nut

the level combiner looks good. just spent 220.oo on the single mixcube so would like to do this on the cheap. would just the left channel(or right) with a digital mono plug do the trick just about as well? I think I have a cheap behinger 4 channel mixer around here somewhere, I wonder if that would be a better option?
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search