The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
opinions on DDA AMR24 Consoles
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

opinions on DDA AMR24

hi folks

i can get my hands on a DDA AMR24 (28X24) , in fact i only need to pick up the frame the channels are already in my posession ., i reckon a recap is in order to say the least , P&G blackwood faders on the channels ALPS on the monitor returns, two powersuplies , it holds a couple of single , dual and a few quad ic's in the channels in believe BUT, i have never heard it ..what are the general opinions on this board, is it the poor mans neve as some say? , in the trident 80B leauge ? or is it low profile like the amek angela , hendrix etc,(no offense) ..if anyone has hands on experience on these boards i like to hear it..

thxn in advance!
mell
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

It's going to be similar to any midline Brit board, not really colored, I prefer the smaller Split DDAs, same basic design, but less of everything to muck it up!
A recap is most likely needed, rechip can make it pretty amazingly clean.
The manual and schematics are online at DDAconsoles.com
Last 2 AMRs I saw had crappy VCA automation, not fun at all!
Also forget the DDA PSUs Powerone, or Acopian the Bigger the better, current is a good thing!
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

I own an AMR24 / 26 and it's a great desk. Not the same sonic footprint like a Trident or a Neve but more on the cleaner side. If pushed the channels as wel as the group/mix bus are starting to "growl" a little. Eq's are fine, not much character there but very good to work with.
I used the AMR's controlroomsection for a long time and lately i'm using a dedicated monitorcontroller. There's an improvement in clarity en depth so the contrrmsection is not the best there is.
The desk sounds best when pushed a little. With the channel-inputlevels low it sounds OK but everything improves when levels (let's say from the DAW outputs) are increased.
The AMR is perfect for parallel compression or other parallel processing because of the 24 groups together with the split design.
Watch the switches, they can be a pain. Stereo-images changing (because of 6dB leveldrops on one side of a channel), noise increase, channels that need to be pushed hard before they "open up" and the signal can "flow" freely. Switches can be a PITA. Be aware of the EBO-boards; they're mounted 90degrees on the printboard and the solderpoints tend to loosen with the above problems as symptoms. No problems with the PSU's whatsoever.
My desk has Optifile automation but i don't use it, combination of Mute-groups, manual faderrides and DAW automation takes care of it.

Regards, A

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search