The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
1178 on Overheads - Tips/Settings Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear

1178 on Overheads - Tips/Settings

Have an 1178 available on this session and wondering some tips on how to set it on overheads. general attack, release settings etc? using glyn johns + kick and snare mics.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

It is impossible for anyone to say without hearing the track in it's context. Preferably with the input of producer and/or band.

Just twist the knobs and listen. If you like it more with it than in bypass, just go wit it.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

if you have only 4 mics on the kit i would use the 1178 as a drum buss compressor to glue the mic's together rather than just on oh's. use slow attack fast release. the ratio depends on how dynamic your track is. pump the input to taste!!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Like peeweedrummer, use it as a buss-comp/parallel comp in your situation. Don't make the attack too fast and the release too slow.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

"don't make the attack too fast"

it's not like the attack on an 1176 or an 1178 ever gets slow.......

do we want "slightly less than 1 millisecond" or "a lot less than 1 millisecond"

my advice-

not all overhead tracks need compression

some of them just need 2 or 3 db reduction to make the snare less peaky.

sometimes it'll be sweet to go crazy and overcompress.

sometimes it'll be better to use it on a drum bus instead. sometimes i'll smash the bus, and sneak a little bit of uncompressed kick back in as needed.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I also am goin to use an 1178 In this capacity. I'd like to use it to keep the peaks in control, especially from snare while tracking. Then for the mix I'll use it on a drum bus for parallel. Advice on settings for either approach appreciated here.
Old 10th September 2011
GSF
Gear Addict
Sometimes with overly peaky cymbals it can be nice with fast attack, just to shave the tops of a very small amount, in order to help hold the entire kit together.
Old 12th September 2011
Gear Guru

Compressing overheads while tracking?

Go easy.

Slowest attack, fastest release, 4:1.

You only want to see the meters *twitch*, and only occasionally... like on the crash coming into and out of the chorus.

Think 'tone and texture' rather than 'squeeze'. Plenty of time for squeeze at mix.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

The 1178's I've used have never been very good at this. They have been so wildly out of match and the seem to drift as the session would progress. So I guess I say that as a caution. Hopefully yours will be in better service but maybe just watch for it. Its happened to me more then once with different 1178's.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

The 1178 is one of my favorite compressors for drums in general. For overheads I usually start with the attack at about noon or 1 o'clock, release as fast as it will go and 4:1 ratio. I'll adjust for 2-3dB gain reduction at most.

Later, at mixdown I'll usually strap it across the drum/bass bus. At that point I'll spend ages just listening to the way different attack and release times drag/push the rhythm section. Anything goes at this point for me!
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

First - GJ aren't really overheads. By squashing them you are squashing 80% of the drum sound. So, definitely go easy during tracking.

I wouldn't compress at all during tracking.

Second - slowest attack/fastest release is a standard setting on 1176ish compressors. So I'd set that, dial in 1 or 3 db of GR at 4:1.
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Squashing OH tracking a minimal mic'd set up just sucks the cymbals up in the mix. As was said. Go lightly
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Put it, or better yet, another limiter, on the room mics.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search