The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Line 6 Pod Studio Worth It? Audio Interfaces
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

Line 6 Pod Studio Pre-Amps Worth It?

Hi, currently I do all my recording through a Tascam US 1641, and I was considering buying a Line 6 Pod Studio UX2 for recording vocals and guitar (leaving the Tascam to drums). Does anyone here know who the UX2 sounds on vocals compared to the Tascam, if there's any difference at all? I doubt guitar recordings would sound different (I do all my recording with sims now), it just seems easier to use a smaller interface.

I read that Periphery's vocals were recorded on a Line 6 Pod Studio using some of the preamp emulators in the Pod Farm software (included), and I really love that sound. Good and airy, closer to that sound people want in pop music, but it really works for that metal sound. So a large reason why I'm considering the interface is the pod farm software. Do you think this justifies a $200 purchase? Maybe the $200 could be put towards a better vocal microphone, we have a Sterling Audio ST51 which gets most of the use, and a Shure SM55 or SM57 for when I need the advantages of a dynamic mic. Would there be a difference in sound between the UX1 and UX2? The UX1 has less interfaces, and doesn't have those VU meters. But how would it sound, as I'm only looking for a pre for mono vocals.

Also about the "zero latency" monitoring claims they have. Does this only work with the Line 6 Pod Farm software, any software? Or is it just a gimmick, and by zero latency, they mean low (5ms, etc, comparable to what I could achieve on my current interface).

Sorry if the text here seems a bit 'all over the place.' I'm in the hospital right now and thought it would be a good time to read up on some new gear So I guess, the tl;dr is: "I've got somewhere in the range of $200 I'm looking to spend on better vocal sounds, I'm currently considering this. Thought?"

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search