The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
monitors interference
Old 10th September 2011
Here for the gear
monitors interference

When I use power supplies for stuff like the laptop or printer it causes a lot of static noise on my monitors. When I plug them in elsewhere in the house it doesn't affect them. Is there a relatively cheap unit or 4 way that I can buy that will screen the noise? I am using balanced jack to XLR cables for the monitors, I don't get noise from the system, just the mains.

Thanks in advance for help and suggestions
Old 12th September 2011
Here for the gear
gentle bump
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Where are your monitors plugged in? What kind are they? Passive? Active? Are you sharing a power strip with other devices? Do you have a dedicated circuit for your audio gear? What is supplying audio to your monitors?
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Usually a hash type of noise is created from cheap switch mode power supplies. You could invest in a better regulated power supply.

If you are only experiencing the noise when you are connected into the audio circuit, then a DI with a ground lift may help.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search