The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building cables - buying wire in bulk. Prices? Suppliers?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Building cables - buying wire in bulk. Prices? Suppliers?

I'm building mic cables for a studio soon, want to buy wire in bulk. Help me with selection, prices, and suppliers.

Brands: Mogami, Gepco, or Canare. Neutrik or Switchcraft connectors.

Suppliers: MarkerTek, Full Compass and Redco. I still have to go to Pacific Radio to see what their prices are, could be cheaper to buy local.
If you find better prices on other sites, let me know!

I've had great experiences with Mogami, but it's pricey. All the cables at the studio I work for are Gepco and they sound great. I've noticed Canare is much cheaper and I've heard people say it's just fine, but not sure about it.

I put up links for Neutrik and Switchcraft connectors.
I could use some advice on this, there are a few different types of 3 pin XLR connectors.

Here's some links:

Mogami W2549
Markertek - $0.77/ft ($252.95 for 328 ft)
Full Compass - $0.73/ft ($239.11 for 328 ft)
Redco - $0.72/ft (over 300ft)

Gepco M1042 - Heavy Duty
Markertek - $0.68/ft (1,000 ft)
Full Compass - $0.54/ft (over 250)
Redco - $0.55/ft

Gepco XB401 - X-Band
Redco - $0.37/ft

Canare L-2T2S
Markertek - $0.38/ft ($123.69 for 328 ft)
Full Compass - $0.66/ft ($216.45 for 328 ft)
Redco - $0.48/ft

Neutrik NC3MX Male XLR
Markertek - $2.19
Full Compass - $2.02 (over 50)
Redco - $2.15 (50-99)

Neutrik NC3FX Female XLR
Markertek - $2.39
Full Compass - $2.33 (over 50)
Redco - $2.44 (50-99)

SwitchCraft AAA3FZ Female XLR
Full Compass - $1.53 (10 or more)
Markertek - $1.75 (25-99)
Redco - $2.60

SwitchCraft AAA3MZ Male XLR
Full Compass - $1.68 (10 or more)
Markertek - $1.68 (25-99)
Redco $2.45
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I've had very good experience with Redco. Fast shipping, good customer service. Pacrad is good when you need something immediately, but I think you pay for the privilege.
Old 10th September 2011
I've got almost all Canare L4E6S cables and its great.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

I've had any cables I need built by Redco Audio over the past few years.

The standard house Redco Cable has been perfectly fine.

I also like the Canare 1/4" TS jacks with the spring relief for guitar cables
and the Neutrik oversized large barrel TS jack for heavier 12 gauge speaker cable.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

+1 for Redco.

Mogami and neutrik here--no probs.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Question about quad cable. I saw this photo of a quad cable where the wires are twisted in pairs so you end up with two connections and a shield. Why would you do this instead of the standard two wires in a cable? My example being the Canare L-2T2S vs. Canare L-4E6S.

Old 10th September 2011
Gear Nut

You want a cable that doesn't melt back easy when soldered so that eliminates Gepco. Then you want a cable that is easy to prep which eliminates Canare since the ground shield is a pain to twist. Quad cable is only needed for long runs and even then non-quad snakes are in almost ever studio being used for the long Studio/Iso/Live room to Control room cabling. Mogami and Redco are very similar with the first being a little better about not melting back.

Mogami - XLPE (Cross Linked Polyethylene) insulation provides superb electrical characteristics and will not melt or shrink back during soldering.

Redco - Insulation: Polypropylene

As far as the best sounding cable that is a personal choice.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Search for GLS audio, you can get 300ft of wire for around $70 and pick your color! They compete with the big guys and hold their own.

I found a guy in eBay that sells nuetrik connectors of all different kinds with the best prices I've seen!

I can't remember the name now, but if you pm me I'll look for it. Also if you buy from him I think more than 2 times you get a 10% off coupon which is nice
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by burster1 View Post
You want a cable that doesn't melt back easy when soldered so that eliminates Gepco. Then you want a cable that is easy to prep which eliminates Canare since the ground shield is a pain to twist. Quad cable is only needed for long runs and even then non-quad snakes are in almost ever studio being used for the long Studio/Iso/Live room to Control room cabling. Mogami and Redco are very similar with the first being a little better about not melting back.

Mogami - XLPE (Cross Linked Polyethylene) insulation provides superb electrical characteristics and will not melt or shrink back during soldering.

Redco - Insulation: Polypropylene

As far as the best sounding cable that is a personal choice.
I've had very different experiences. I've cursed my life trying to work with mogami (insulation melting, wire wrapped sheild) and love working with gepco. We may be talking about a different series of cable though.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

How do you guys like the GLS cable and connectors? They look super cheap price-wise, but how's the quality?

Also, do you think Redco price matches?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I use GLS cables and nuetrik connectors. I didn't know they have connectors?
I like the cables alot, I think they are built well
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I used to work for Fullco, get better prices than that and still buy my cables and connectors from Redco!

You want great Cables? Mogami or Gotham, Canare Starquad is great for Mic cables though! The other day some guy brought over some $600.00 RCA cables from the latest greatest Highend company. Pretty woven braid sheath, it was good old Mogami , the cheap AES install under that sheath. Fun telling the guy I had 500 feet for what his 2 meters cost!
Old 11th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyrad View Post
Search for GLS audio, you can get 300ft of wire for around $70 and pick your color! They compete with the big guys and hold their own.
How do you like the sound of GLS cables? Have you done an A/B test? I'm weary of a wire that's 3 times cheaper than name brand stuff. But if it sounds the same and is durable, I could get down with $0.20/ft.

One of these days I want to do an A/B test with some of the cables at the studio, I've seen Mogami, Gepco, and Canare all over. Maybe I'll set up a floating EQ and send a dry signal through with each pair. I'm really curious to see if there's an audible difference.
Old 13th September 2011
500 series nutjob

personally i like Redco, Canare, and Neutrik or Switchcraft: )
i have hand several different cables in and i jut like the canare.
as far as the ends go i can go with Neutrik or Switchcraft, don't really car much.
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, I ended up ordering a spool Canare l-2t2s along with a bunch of other stuff. The good folks at Redco were able to price match Markertek, who had a lower price. Thumbs up to a great company!

As a side note, I just found out that my wife's company makes their ERP software...small world!

Also, gonna get some custom heat shrink. Has anyone had any experience with Heat Shrink Tube : Shrink Tubing : ShrinkShop.com
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Just buy a heat shrink label printer! That way you can label how ever you want , they are worth their weight in gold! In fact I have to check who I lent mine to!
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

I like the idea of a labelmaker, but with the infrequency of labeling that I do, it seems that Shrinkshop and 123stickers (for gear asset tags) looks like the most cost-effective option. The machine would cost about $80, shrink cartridges about $60 (for 2), plus extra label cartridges for another $10. For $70 total for both companies, I'm able to have 250 stickers (asset tags, designed slightly different from the cables) and enough custom heat shrink to tag ALL of my cables and patch cords. Plus, I can use fancy logos, like this:
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Wes Shrink Tube.pdf (236.0 KB, 173 views)
Old 19th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AASteveo View Post
Question about quad cable. I saw this photo of a quad cable where the wires are twisted in pairs so you end up with two connections and a shield. Why would you do this instead of the standard two wires in a cable? My example being the Canare L-2T2S vs. Canare L-4E6S.
The quad cable is better in noisy (rf) environments. It's more immune to interference at the expense of increased capacitance.
Old 21st September 2011
Lives for gear

Well, here's a followup on the shrink labels. This is the proof of the shrink tube from shrinkshop.com. They're going to fix the fuzziness around the text. Otherwise, for $.38 per tube, seems like a pretty good deal. The more cables you have, the cheaper the prices.
Attached Thumbnails
Building cables - buying wire in bulk. Prices? Suppliers?-wes-arvin-sample-test-1-21-sept-11.jpg  
Old 29th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Just did a shootout at the studio, here's the thread:
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/high-...are-gepco.html

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search