The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
re-20 vs re-320 Condenser Microphones
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

re-20 vs re-320

First I'm sorry bout another Mic thread but i need an opinion here.

I think I've decided on getting one of the EV's as my personal vocal mic - not having experience with one, I just know that they are used universally used in radio and buy Radiohead (heh) with the bonus of using it as another kick mic to supplement my beta-52 for miking my drums, but that particular application would be most certainly not its first use and reason for purchase.

Now I woulda just got the 20 but the 320 is out now and I've read up on it and it seems to be the 20+, almost a replacement from EV of the RE-20 but being such a classic I;m sure they'll keep making and selling the 20's for ever.

Anyone have experience with both?
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

RE20 is a classic for a reason, if you're only getting one and can afford it then grab that one!
Old 10th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

You can hear the RE20 & RE320 side by side in our Clipalator to get an idea of their differences.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

The 320 is the exact same case parts as the 20 with 'Asian' manufactured components inside. The RE20 is still entirely made in America.

A neodymium magnet structure and a thinner diaphragm make for hotter output with the 320 and brighter top end more like the 27.

Good mic, not quite a 20 but is respectable.

I was told by the second in command over the conglomerate Telex (prior to the Bosch acquisition) The RE20 would never be made overseas. Perhaps this is a venture on Bosch's part to seeing how the market will respond to a foreign clone of the great American RE20 branded under the same EV logo.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Maniac

I'm sure the 320 is a very capable mic, but come on, get the classic! the 20 is a better investment.
Old 12th September 2011
500 series nutjob

personally i would go RE-20! but i love those mics, a lot!

seems i recall the Re-320 was more gear to a instrument mic?

MicDaddy can maybe comment on that?
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

From what Ive further read it has a "dual personality" mmm - so it has a switch that goes down to 45 hz for drum mic'ing.

I'm a little suspicious - two mic's for one? Re-20 plus this 45 hz switch (I smell an earthworks kickpad! type effort)
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

I don't think the 320 has an output transformer.
Old 13th September 2011
I tried their other effort, the RE-27. Horrible sounding mic with none of the qualities of the RE-20.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
I tried their other effort, the RE-27. Horrible sounding mic with none of the qualities of the RE-20.
I know a handful of VO artists that do very well with the 27, it is very 'condenser like' but a bit brittle/metalic in the upper end. Not at all like the RE20.

The element in the 320 is very much like the 27. Polypropylene capsule, neodymium magnet structure, higher impedance voice coil (allows them to omit transformer), lightweight/thin diaphragm for faster transient response.

I only think it's a tad blasphemous to even compare the, ahem, Chinese 320 to the all American Mawby/Wiggins RE20.

I'm very curious how the 320 would do if it didn't look at all like an RE20 (exact same case parts)

EV marketing for ya.... here's one that'll get your goat.

Note the introduction 'The great American microphone brand Electro-Voice' ...... too bad not a 1 of those microphones in the video is American made

Old 13th September 2011
500 series nutjob

i think it is very horrific that EV has moved so much of the production off shore: (~
i have ( as you know MicDaddy ), been such a big EV fanatic, still am but not the way i once was
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Although I have only experience with the RE320, I spent a few weeks with this dilemma very recently and felt that the RE320 was best for me. I concluded from my desk research and soundclips that the RE20 sounds marginally better. But I would have had to buy a used one. And too many of them have spent their lives in kick drums and I am not keen on buying used mics generally any more.

My decision was also based on the fact I have a D112 and I think the RE320 is marginally better than the D112 for kick. So the D112 is going for sale, which would not have been an outcome if I had bought the RE20.

And I think I recall the RE320 is a bit louder than the RE20....ready to be proven wrong on this point.
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Are Americans supposed to be renowned for their manufacturing talents? I don't get this whole mentality that things must be of poorer quality just because they were manufactured overseas. I highly doubt that EV sets laxer standards of quality for products made in other countries.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
i think it is very horrific that EV has moved so much of the production off shore: (~
i have ( as you know MicDaddy ), been such a big EV fanatic, still am but not the way i once was
It's really sad, but, companies are going to do what they believe is best for the company. It's a route many many manufacturers have taken, it just erks me a little when some of those companies try to ride the coat tails of the "American" brand while shipping all the work overseas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
Although I have only experience with the RE320, I spent a few weeks with this dilemma very recently and felt that the RE320 was best for me. I concluded from my desk research and soundclips that the RE20 sounds marginally better. But I would have had to buy a used one. And too many of them have spent their lives in kick drums and I am not keen on buying used mics generally any more.

My decision was also based on the fact I have a D112 and I think the RE320 is marginally better than the D112 for kick. So the D112 is going for sale, which would not have been an outcome if I had bought the RE20.
I can think of at least 1 good reason so many of those used RE20s have spent their lives in kick drums.

Quote:
And I think I recall the RE320 is a bit louder than the RE20....ready to be proven wrong on this point.
The 320 has a neodymium capsule and hotter output than the 20.

Quote:
Are Americans supposed to be renowned for their manufacturing talents? I don't get this whole mentality that things must be of poorer quality just because they were manufactured overseas. I highly doubt that EV sets laxer standards of quality for products made in other countries.
Actually there was a time, yes, perhaps before yours?
Old 13th September 2011
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warfunkel View Post
maybe i am privy to info not so widely known?
i have product that come off shore that i do love, some of very high quality. like wise i see offshore made gear that is total crap!!!
do not twist what i said.
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:

Haha good point. USA cars get no kudos here for their build quality (and that includes all the old stuff as well, micdaddy!). Even worse than Rover.Well maybe not that bad actually.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear
re-20 vs re-320

You mean like the famous "Monday morning" lemons?
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richgilb View Post
(and that includes all the old stuff as well, micdaddy!).

Does it include all the old microphones as well? What mic were we comparing the 320 to again? heh
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

I did some shoot outs a few months back between a RE20 and a Advanced Audio DM20. It was interesting. I just as much preferred the RE20 on vocals as I did the DM20 on kick. From the sounds of it the DM20 may be very similar to the RE320.

The extra high end of the DM20 actually seems to do the eq to a kick that you would add if using the re20. However that seemed a bit much with the vocals. The one thing the DM20 offers that I didn't spend much time shooting out was the LPF. Which I think is designed to make it sound a little more like the RE20. I wonder if he RE320 has the same feature.

In any case I own both now and am happy about that!

BTW, Micdaddy knows his stuff about these mics. I own one he cleaned up and it sounds nice!
Old 4th March 2012
Gear Head

This entire album was recorded with an RE320 on the saxophone (Baritone and Tenor). Great sounding microphone.

Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennett Williams View Post
This entire album was recorded with an RE320 on the saxophone (Baritone and Tenor). Great sounding microphone.

Since it's such nice examples of sax up front and so exposed like that would you be up for a bit about how you recorded? Mic position, (any trends in eq for example?) would make for some interesting perspective.
Old 5th March 2012
Gear Head

Thanks!

The mic was placed on a boom stand pointing at roughly a downward 45 degree angle to match the angle of the bell of the horn; so the axis of the mic is pointing down into the sax. With the baritone sax, the mic almost looks like what Lemmy from Motorhead does with his vocal mic, since I have a bari sax with a low A, and the bell faces upward quite a bit, moreso than the tenor.

As for eq, the 320 really seems to open WAY up in the bottom end. I like the 320 alot, but the more I use this mic the more I think it is really a drum mic or a bass cabinet mic. I have it switched for flat frequency response and even so it still opens up in the bottom end. Either this is true, or the sound is coming out of the horn in the stack closer to the mouthpiece when I am playing the higher notes, and maybe I should have a second mic pointing there, or try a different angle and distance.

For a few of the songs I was using a Langevin ELOP stereo limiter and a Dangerous BAX eq, which sounded great. I think I prefer the sound of the bax to the Dual Vocal Combo's eq, simply because I can dial in the eq with a little more precision. I also think it is a quieter piece of gear.

When I was using the bax/elop configuration, the stereo DI output from my pedal board was going into a Jensen-modified PreSonus MP20. Otherwise it was going into the Dual Vocal Combo. The mic preamp I was using on the 320 was a Dave Hill Designs Europa, with the slew rate set to 5, low cut off, 4 on the even harmonics and 7 on the odd harmonics. The main issue I was having was to keep the horns from sounding too dark, too stuffy. With the eq and the odd harmonic boost, I think I achieved that without putting in too much edge.

Thanks again!
Old 27th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Two of my favourite bands are using the RE-20 on vocals.
Thom Yorke is one of them. In the studio he is probably using something more expensive, but i can't afford that.

Im looking to get an RE-20 for male vocals. Is the RE320 as good on vocals or should I spend the extra buck for a RE-20?
Old 27th October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipNL View Post
Two of my favourite bands are using the RE-20 on vocals.
Thom Yorke is one of them. In the studio he is probably using something more expensive, but i can't afford that.

Im looking to get an RE-20 for male vocals. Is the RE320 as good on vocals or should I spend the extra buck for a RE-20?
He uses a vintage u47 in the studio as well if I recall correctly. All mics and voices are different; the consensus is that the 20 is superior overall, but you'd have to try both to know what's best for you.
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Maniac

fwiw I have a pair of 320s that I used for BD mics, but they struggled to capture the very deep resonance. So I got a pair of M88s that are perfect for that job.

The 320s moved up a few feet and turned out to be a great surprise for toms and ride cymbals :-)
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I think American companies usually have better quality control and tend to care more about the products that are being sold here. As opposed to a Chinese company who won't see the end result, use cheaper parts, and don't get the same feedback.

As I understand, the 320 is a cheaper version of the RE20. I think the RE20 sounds much better and easier to mix.

Sent from my ADR6400L
Old 28th October 2013
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I highly doubt that EV sets laxer standards of quality for products made in other countries.
I would also not assume how companies operate, especially when it comes to international matters.

Sent from my ADR6400L
Old 28th October 2013
Here for the gear

I think I achieved that without putting in too much edge.
Old 20th January 2014
-4.5db @ around 5k will make RE320 sound just like the RE20

Old 15th April 2015
Here for the gear

We have RE20 and two or three RE320 at our studio.
I have to say that they sound different, but both models are great.

For example, I tried RE320 with Nagra 4.2 as preamp (via UAD 4-170 line input – for AD conversion) and it was great for lead vocals and for guitar combo as well.
I don't like the RE320 on sax, it sounds thin.
Today I recorded alto saxophone on RE20 with TL-Audio 5050 preamp (and Apogee AD8000 as converter) and it was really good.

I love both mics on vocals, but I think they both are not for every song and not for every singer.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search