The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
500 series gear question Signal Splitters (HW)
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

500 series gear question

I see pics of a lot of 500 series gear where you can see the insides. Is that how they are sold? or are they protected with a case? Or are some in a case and some without?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Mine came open, begging to be stuffed.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarthp View Post
I see pics of a lot of 500 series gear where you can see the insides. Is that how they are sold? or are they protected with a case? Or are some in a case and some without?
Yes that is how they are sold, they fit in a number of Lunch boxes, google it, API 6B. A used LB cost around 300 plus here on GS.
API 500-6B Lunchbox | Sweetwater.com
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Can someone post a link so I can read up on what you mean by 500 series gear? Heard a few things on forums about it
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllAboutTone View Post
Yes that is how they are sold, they fit in a number of Lunch boxes, google it, API 6B. A used LB cost around 300 plus here on GS.
API 500-6B Lunchbox | Sweetwater.com
Haha, nevermind
Old 10th September 2011
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

I know what a lunchbox is and different racks. when I said case I meant a case for the module before it goes in the rack. I've been thinking of getting a lunchbox and my concern now is storage if I end up say buying more than 6 modules. If they come with the guts exposed and I wanted to swap them out I wouldn't want dust or the insides exposed during storage if I wan't using a module. So thats why I was curious if they all came exposed like that or do they come protected.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
I know what a lunchbox is and different racks. when I said case I meant a case for the module before it goes in the rack. I've been thinking of getting a lunchbox and my concern now is storage if I end up say buying more than 6 modules. If they come with the guts exposed and I wanted to swap them out I wouldn't want dust or the insides exposed during storage if I wan't using a module. So thats why I was curious if they all came exposed like that or do they come protected.
Sorry for the confusion. Any module I have bought came in a box. I keep my extra modules in bubble pouches.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Sorry for the confusion. Any module I have bought came in a box. I keep my extra modules in bubble pouches.
so they come unprotected exposed?
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well I would not say unprotected. Mine were well packaged. There is just no little storage case if that is what you mean. Hey, maybe you could start manufacturing them? Make some $$.

There was a compressor that came in a cool army ammo type box. It was the Komit before Radial got hold of it. That was cool. Wish I still had mine.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Some of the 500 modules components are exposed, some of them are not..I kinda like 'em exposed. This way, I can see what they are really stuffed with..!...heh
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear
Wow, you guys are really missing the point of the OP's question!! To answer it: Some 500 series modules do come encased in metal (MA5, P1...) others are just the exposed card (512c...) probably a good idea to store unused modules in their original packaging or an anti-static bag - also try to avoid touching the gold traces on the edge connector (corrosion) hope that helps!
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Soon as I buy 500 series stuff it goes right in my lunchbox, so no worries about dust or exposed electronics.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. torture View Post
Soon as I buy 500 series stuff it goes right in my lunchbox, so no worries about dust or exposed electronics.
Yea I worried about all these issues before I started collecting 500, but they are rock solid, haven't had one issue since day one.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The modules are packaged tightly with bubble wrap and what not. If you chose to store them, just put it back in their original packaging. Like one poster said, as soon as they come, they go straight into the Lunchbox so I don`t worry about the mods getting damaged at all.
Old 10th September 2011
SRS
Lives for gear

Yes, due to the designer's need or not for electrical shielding or more space for component fit, they may or may not have a self-contained metal case.

If you have that many modules in excess of LB space, then you have a problem many would love to have. The LBs are very cheap, so grab a few and fill them up.

Or just put them in spare microphone pouches.
Old 13th September 2011
500 series nutjob

the 500 format is a system.
pre's, eq's, comp. other: )~
they fit in a luchbox or rack, sold separately.
which i see you are familiar with.

some are shielded in cases some not.
from what i have seen it is not any indication of or the lack of quality in anyway.

having said that i personally like to see some degree of shielding.
all the units i have ( A LOT! ), have all come well packaged, most boxs are very similar in size.
i have some units i have to swamp out from time to time ( something i do not like doing ), and i keep them in a small Rubbermaid c.d. / dvd box.
i have many.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search