The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Most stable interface for under £2k with good conversion Audio Interfaces
Old 9th September 2011
  #1
Gear Nut
 

Most stable interface for under £2k with good conversion

Ok,

Metric Halo
Apogee Ensemble
MOTU

Or ... what?

Stability for Me is paramount. Intend on using with new Mac and Logic 9

Again, any help//advise much appreciated!

K
Old 9th September 2011
  #2
Lives for gear
 
KFMG's Avatar
 

RME Fireface UFX
Old 9th September 2011
  #3
Here for the gear
 

+1 for the UFX
Can do so much, so very well.

The just enabled front panel USB recording and upped the mixer.

I used the 800 before this and although that was nice this is super clean with great timing.
Old 9th September 2011
  #4
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

I've only owned one brand, Metric Halo and use Logic. Stable - check! Good conversion, um no - Great conversion.

Don't forget support and business model when you invest in a product. MH has great support and their business model is not based on product churning.
Old 9th September 2011
  #5
Lives for gear
 

Have heard that the Ensemble is a bit shaky, but I've also heard the converters are REALLY good... Have to bear in mind it's a Mac exclusive and they are always trying new ways to link Apogee products and Logic Pro, and improve how the two run together.
Old 10th September 2011
  #6
Lives for gear
 
DCtoDaylight's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by swafford View Post
I've only owned one brand, Metric Halo and use Logic. Stable - check! Good conversion, um no - Great conversion.

Don't forget support and business model when you invest in a product. MH has great support and their business model is not based on product churning.
+1 - if you do a search, you'll find that I started a discussion thread a lot like this one about four or five years ago. I ended up with a Metric Halo ULN-2, and have since added another, using them with MacBook Pros and Logic. They've been very, very solid, and sound tremendous - and MH seems to have a great customer-oriented approach to their business.
Old 10th September 2011
  #7
Gear Nut
 

Fantastically useful stuff! Thanks so much for all this info Chaps! I've obviously heard of all these products so I will do a good bit of research on them now. REALLY appreciate that!! Will keep you posted with my findings/choice etc

If any more thoughts/suggestions come, always useful.

K
Old 10th September 2011
  #8
Gear Nut
 

Quick 1st impressions ... RME Seems excellent but I got worried for a minute with the USB thing. Is this a good way to good for lots of Audio recording? IE : Is it quick enough?

Metric Halo - V V V respected! Downside of the ULN-2 = only 2 ins. I could do with 8 ideally. I could stretch my budget though if it meant a top quality product with great stability and conversions. I will have a look at bigger M Halo devices.

I'm not using it with a laptop although I'm open to smaller mobile devices if they're that good (which ULN-2 obviously is)

So ... there's my first thoughts. WIll do more research
Old 10th September 2011
  #9
Lives for gear
 
DCtoDaylight's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabb View Post
Metric Halo - V V V respected! Downside of the ULN-2 = only 2 ins. I could do with 8 ideally. I could stretch my budget though if it meant a top quality product with great stability and conversions. I will have a look at bigger M Halo devices.
I don't know the exchange rate right now, but a Metric Halo 2882 might be in your range. The pres aren't quite as good as the ULN-2, but there are eight of them!
Old 10th September 2011
  #10
Gear Nut
 

I was actually just this minute looking at the MH Lio-8 which is not cheap but looks bloody solid! Will look into 2882 now ... Thanks again!

P.S: I was intending on using with some 500 series Pre's so Pre's not too important (or should I be thinking differently?) 2882 looks good! Can it be rackmounted I'm wondering

Last edited by kabb; 10th September 2011 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: P.S:
Old 10th September 2011
  #11
Gear Nut
 

Just read this in anther thread :


Quote:
Originally Posted by xgabrielx View Post
if you bypass the preamps and use the 2882 only as an AD converter with high quality preamps its a perfect setup!!!

the AD quality is IMHO up to apogee and lynx aurora.

If you use the inputs as +4dBu line inputs the 2882 everything is perfect
Old 10th September 2011
  #12
Gear Nut
 

Still tempted with the Fireface UFX simply cos You get 12 Ins. Pretty good conversion too? I mean, compared to the Metric Halo?
Old 10th September 2011
  #13
Lives for gear
 
duckoff's Avatar
 

Ditto the above (Logic + MH ULN-2)
Love it - stable, pres usable, conversion great.
Old 10th September 2011
  #14
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabb View Post
I was actually just this minute looking at the MH Lio-8 which is not cheap but looks bloody solid! Will look into 2882 now ... Thanks again!

P.S: I was intending on using with some 500 series Pre's so Pre's not too important (or should I be thinking differently?) 2882 looks good! Can it be rackmounted I'm wondering
All MH devices are rackmountable 1U devices. The LIO and ULN8 run pretty hot, so they like to be on top of the rack or having something above them that isn't effected by heat.

I had a 2882 for a long time with a rack of pres. It was a great solution, though the 2882 pres are perfectly fine for most applications. I sold them both to fiance the ULN8. Now I use the ULN8 and ULN2.

I think the LIO or the ULN8 are great backbones for a studio - static or mobile. I can't imagine ever needing to upgrade either with something better.
Old 10th September 2011
  #15
Gear Nut
 

Again Brilliant info! Thanks guys.

So, the 2882 and ULN 8 - can you assign the module to use say, 5 pres and 3 not with pres? If You know what I mean??

Am I right in saying that the LIO has no pres?

The ULN 8 is VERY tempting but not cheap! Still, like You said... I wouldn't need to change it for a long time
Old 10th September 2011
  #16
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabb View Post
Again Brilliant info! Thanks guys.

So, the 2882 and ULN 8 - can you assign the module to use say, 5 pres and 3 not with pres? If You know what I mean??

Am I right in saying that the LIO has no pres?

The ULN 8 is VERY tempting but not cheap! Still, like You said... I wouldn't need to change it for a long time
The 2882 and ULN8 are fixed with 8 pres each, though they can be bypassed with outboard pres.

The LIO is a ULN8 without the pres. The pres can be added at a later time to a LIO in groups of 4 (I think). So you could have an LIO with no pres, with 4 pres or with 8 pres.
Old 10th September 2011
  #17
Gear Nut
 

Ahhh! Ok great!! Maybe the LIO with 4 pres is my solution!!!! Thank You so much for the info.

ULN8 & 2882 - When You say they can be bypassed, individualy? or the whole lot? IE : Can You bypass 3 pres and use 5? Soz for all the Qs
Old 10th September 2011
  #18
Gear Maniac
 
Stubrew's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebailey92 View Post
Have heard that the Ensemble is a bit shaky, but I've also heard the converters are REALLY good... Have to bear in mind it's a Mac exclusive and they are always trying new ways to link Apogee products and Logic Pro, and improve how the two run together.
I use a Mac Pro, Ensemble and Logic Pro and it's always been solid as a rock, no problems whatsoever
Old 10th September 2011
  #19
Gear Nut
 
Chitown Ray's Avatar
 

Maybe the LIO with 4 pres is my solution!!!!

Ya did that very thing earlier this year awesome box

Ray
Old 10th September 2011
  #20
Gear Nut
 
hipaquarius's Avatar
 

echo af12

super stable with logic
Old 10th September 2011
  #21
Lives for gear
 
swafford's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kabb View Post
Ahhh! Ok great!! Maybe the LIO with 4 pres is my solution!!!! Thank You so much for the info.

ULN8 & 2882 - When You say they can be bypassed, individualy? or the whole lot? IE : Can You bypass 3 pres and use 5? Soz for all the Qs
Yes individually, so you could have 2 outboard pres and use 6 MH pres, or 4 and 4 or whatever. Or if you had an LIO with 4 MH pres, you could use 4 other kind on the other channels, or bypass the 4 MH press and use 8 outboard.

The ULN8 has send and returns that are pre conversion and can bypass the analog circuit all together. So for my Mercury M72, I plug the mic into the in of the M72, the out of the M72 into the return of the channel I want it to show up at. If you wanted to put a compressor in and use the ULN8 pres, you put put the send into the comp in and the comp out to the ULN8 return.

The 2882 works a bit different. It has send and returns (though I think they are called Analog Ins and Outs - it's been a while), but if my memory serves me, it does not totally bypass the analog circuit.

The really beautiful thing about MH hardware and software is it's almost total flexibility. You could take the Analog outs of the ULN8 (which are different then the sends) and are post preamp, but pre-conversion, and feed a tape machine. Or a mixing board. Or another set of convertors.

The software can be complex or simple, but once you wrap your head around it, it really opens up possibilities.
Old 10th September 2011
  #22
Gear Nut
 
Chitown Ray's Avatar
 

Hey Kabb I was just siting hear thinking about when I first started looking at all this recording gear for my son 3 years ago I was absolutely floored at how much money this stuff cost and he has at least fifteen thousand in amps,guitars basses,keyboards,whatever, heck more than fifteen. You can times that by 10 when it comes to recording gear and still you would need this and a lot of that. I am not saying anything anybody on GS doesn't already know but I found the press & converters in one unit the way to go. For me money was the biggest factor I chose Metric Halo because what goes in comes out need the right mics of course love the pres they are clean. And it's not that I thought the others were bad. I like MH because I know in the years to come they will keep improving there units it's nice to know in 3,5,7or10 years I will keep up to date without having to buy a totally new unit. Also the headphone amp on the lio is very very good the DI is very very good
jr was getting an awesome sound out of his Ric bass through it the other day it is a nice piece of equipment.
Old 11th September 2011
  #23
Gear Nut
 

Absolutely brilliant info again! Thanks so much guys!!

So ... I'm pretty sold on Metric Halo and will probably go with it. I've emailed the company asking about the LIO with 4 Preamps. I will keep You all posted.

Back soon

K
Old 11th September 2011
  #24
Lives for gear
 

Pretty interested here in the rme UFX.

Have they improved their converter since the fireface 800 and 400 ?

regards
Old 11th September 2011
  #25
Lives for gear
 
KFMG's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergioelectro View Post
Pretty interested here in the rme UFX.

Have they improved their converter since the fireface 800 and 400 ?

regards

Yes, the conversion is better on the UFX.
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump