The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a MIXER!
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Building a MIXER/CONSOLE!

So, I have 8 Auditronics 501 modules that I was going to get racked. Through long thought, I have decided to build a little mixer. It will basically be an 8 channel preamp box with a passive summing section built in. The output of the 2 mix will be passive so I can use any preamps that I have for the make-up gain (Neve, Api, Gates tube pres). I'm really excited and will keep everyone updated.

My brother (who is a cabinet maker) will be making the case, I will be finishing it, and I have a very amazing tech who is going to do all the mods. We are going to be adding API type (600/600) output transformers on every channel and I'm also looking into the mods for adding 2520 opamps.

I'm still waiting for parts to come in and my bro and I are still in the design phase of the chassis. Anyone have recommendations on the type of wood we should use? I really want a classic 70s wood look. I was thinking mahogany.

I will keep everyone updated on the build and keep you supplied with pictures.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Fantastic! Hey are you in Prov RI or...
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
Fantastic! Hey are you in Prov RI or...
Nope.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

No, I am near there and wanted to observe.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hasbeen View Post
No, I am near there and wanted to observe.
Haha! Sorry, sometimes I forget my name could be associated with RI.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

I also forgot that all the input transformers are Jensen.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a MIXER!-photo.jpg  
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

that's really cool! great idea. no EQ? faders and panning though? mutes and solos? any busses?

Classic Audio Products of Illinois might have a few things you could use in your mixer, some kind of summing mixer card, a fader hpf/lpf section that's 2520 driven and transformer coupled...it all costs money though of course. you can buy your 2520s and transformers from them as well. I hear they're working on an EQ, too, but it's not out yet

I might be inspired by seeing what you come up with, good luck with it
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
that's really cool! great idea. no EQ? faders and panning though? mutes and solos? any busses?

Classic Audio Products of Illinois might have a few things you could use in your mixer, some kind of summing mixer card, a fader hpf/lpf section that's 2520 driven and transformer coupled...it all costs money though of course. you can buy your 2520s and transformers from them as well. I hear they're working on an EQ, too, but it's not out yet

The eq, pan, mutes/solos, and preamp are built into the channel strips. GREAT eq too! No busses though. Trying to keep it simple.
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

I have 2channels of racked up Auditronics 501. You are gonna' love them. They are big, punchy and warm. The EQ is amongst the best.

I would be keen to hear your thoughts after you change the op amp. Is it a direct swap with a 2520???

Cheers,
Scott
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aisle 6 View Post
I have 2channels of racked up Auditronics 501. You are gonna' love them. They are big, punchy and warm. The EQ is amongst the best.

I would be keen to hear your thoughts after you change the op amp. Is it a direct swap with a 2520???

Cheers,
Scott
I am not a tech by far, but I'm pretty sure it's not a direct swap. This is why I am looking into it right now. If anyone out there has any info about how to do this then please pm me. Thanks
Old 10th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool. I will await your findings.

You will love them even with no mods.
Old 10th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Providence View Post
I really want a classic 70s wood look.
I've got some really nice paneling you could use
Old 12th September 2011
Lives for gear

Doing mockups tonight for the metal work. Going tomorrow to get the front and rear panels machined. I decided to get a metal frame build (that will also be the "faceplate"). I'm still not sure if I want this to be steel or aluminum though. Steel = heavy = good old American made! Aluminum = light = portable. Not sure how much I will ever travel with this thing though. Steel is looking promising.

The rear panel is going to be a steel plate that will house all the XLRs and power connectors.

I'll keep everyone updated on the progress. I'm hoping to have the chassis finished by the end of the week!
Attached Thumbnails
Building a MIXER!-photo-1.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-2.jpg  
Old 13th September 2011
Lives for gear

So the face and back plate were supposed to be cut today. Didn't happen. Machine shop called and had some problems out of their laser cutter. Perhaps tomorrow. Or, I might need to find another shop. I'll keep everyone updated.
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

So I got the rest of the modules in today, I'm still waiting on the metal work to be finished, and construction of the wood frame is underway! I am also waiting on parts. Neutrik connections, output transformers, ect......

As you can see 4 of the modules have different knobs. They are the same modules with just little differences (pan, pads, routing,ect). I am getting knobs to match the original knobs though.

I'm still hoping to have the chassis build finished my the end of this week. Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails
Building a MIXER!-photo-2-1-.jpg  
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Assuming your op amps are single ones with a 5534 footprint (no idea what you have in there, op amp wise...), you might want to have a look at these puppies:

AC Sound Kits and Parts

I am waiting for 4 to arrive in the mail as we speak. I'll try them in the pre's of my Raindirk Concord, and if I dig order more to do the master section......straight into dip-8.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
So I got the rest of the modules in today, I'm still waiting on the metal work to be finished, and construction of the wood frame is underway! I am also waiting on parts. Neutrik connections, output transformers, ect......

As you can see 4 of the modules have different knobs. They are the same modules with just little differences (pan, pads, routing,ect). I am getting knobs to match the original knobs though.

I'm still hoping to have the chassis build finished my the end of this week. Stay tuned!
You're not just making a box in wood only, are you? Someone better correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember when entertaining the idea of building a desk before I was told build the box in metal, as otherwise you'll have a possible interference nightmare......just a thought....
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
You're not just making a box in wood only, are you? Someone better correct me if I'm wrong, but I seem to remember when entertaining the idea of building a desk before I was told build the box in metal, as otherwise you'll have a possible interference nightmare......just a thought....

I honestly hadn't heard that, but I am making it out of metal and wood. I think what your talking about has more to do with grounding properly. But, I'm not sure
Old 15th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post

Yeah, and automated and digitally controlled everything?

No, seriously - good luck, man.

It's always fun designing and building stuff!

Old 15th September 2011
Gear Maniac

if you end up running into problems with the machine shops parts send me a message, i work at a sign shop and have access to plasma, punch, router.

personally i don't care for steel that is cut with anything but a punch, even a laser tends to leave a decent amount of mess, plasma is even worse, slag on the edges, dirty dusty residue on underside of piece. aluminum is router all the way unless we need something special like a louver(vent) or clips formed into it.

in my opinion i would go with some 1/8" aluminum for the face and back plate with an 18 gauge(about .048") steel chassis if it was going to be something in the size range of 1-4 rack spaces.

if your going to build a desk the best think in my mind would be all steel just because of the strength vs material thickness and knob or slider clearances.

that's just my thought on it though. sounds like a cool a cool project though, wish i knew more about electronics than how to make super simple addition circuits.
Old 17th September 2011
Lives for gear

Edcore out-put transformers came in today! I'm still waiting on the machine shop to call me about parts they are making. I was hoping to have the chassis done by this weekend. Looks like it won't be till the middle of next week. Later!
Attached Thumbnails
Building a MIXER!-photo-1-1-.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-2-2-.jpg  
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Got the metal work back today! It's perfect!. I also decided to use Walnut for the wood work. I love the dark color! I won't be able to work on it till Saturday, but I will still keep everyone posted on the progress.
Attached Thumbnails
Building a MIXER!-photo-1-2-.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-2-3-.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-3.jpg  
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Cool!
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Head

Nice!
Old 20th September 2011
Quote:
I honestly hadn't heard that, but I am making it out of metal and wood. I think what your talking about has more to do with grounding properly. But, I'm not sure

Karloff is right. You should wrap those modules in a metal chassis if possible. Some spaces or vents are ok, but it should be mostly covered.

Then connect it to ground. If you don't, you could easily have what is called a "pin one problem", or just plain get a bunch of rfi.

You need to be able to connect the chassis to any other gear you are connecting to, somehow, and usually it's via pin one chassis to chassis. Also, what about phantom?

There's a good explaination as to why in the link below.

john

http://www.rane.com/note151.html
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTON IN ORBIT View Post
Karloff is right. You should wrap those modules in a metal chassis if possible. Some spaces or vents are ok, but it should be mostly covered.

Then connect it to ground. If you don't, you could easily have what is called a "pin one problem", or just plain get a bunch of rfi.

You need to be able to connect the chassis to any other gear you are connecting to, somehow, and usually it's via pin one chassis to chassis. Also, what about phantom?

There's a good explaination as to why in the link below.

john

Grounding and Shielding Audio Devices

Thanks for the advice. That's why I decided to get the metal faceplate made. Also, the rear panel that's going to house the xlr connectors is going to be a steel plate as well. All will be connected to a ground. I know my tech has talked with me about phantom power. I think we are going to place a switch on each channel. Thanks again
Old 20th September 2011
Gear Guru

It's a faraday thing. Only works if you cover the entire thing in metal (or mesh at least...chicken fence? lol)......good luck. Looks a sexy lil ting, she does!
Old 21st September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
It's a faraday thing. Only works if you cover the entire thing in metal (or mesh at least...chicken fence? lol)......good luck. Looks a sexy lil ting, she does!
Yes, this is what I was getting at. Just grounding it to a metal back plate and front plate ain't doing much at all. Get some sheet metal, drill holes, and ground each mic inputs pin one, right next to the connector with ring lugs.

Sand away any paint, powder coat, anodization, oxidation prior to doing this, and use a lock washer to "dig into" the metal. Only need a small patch sanded, just where the lug and washer connect. You can place one lug between each pair of strips inputs, and connect a pair to each one, leaving you only needing 4 ground lugs for the whole console.

Surround the whole thing in metal, if possible. I'd be very surprised if the og console was not this way. That is, encased in a metal chassis.

There is a reason you don't see many pro audio devices with wood cabinets. Particularly mic amps.

Spot on Karloff
john

edit: make those wires coming from pin one, short, just a couple of inches or three.
Old 4th November 2011
Lives for gear

I know it's been a while. I've been on the road touring, my brother has not had time to build anything, and my wife lost her job. But, I'm getting everything back in order. We are finishing the chassis this Saturday!!!! It's already looking really good. Stay tuned for more to come!
Old 5th November 2011
Lives for gear

Ok so I'm about to go work on the chassis which will hopefully be done today!!! Here are some pics that should wet the appetite! All metal has been painted (properly and with flat black), side panels have been cut and I parts are all ready to go! I'm really excited to get this finished!
Attached Thumbnails
Building a MIXER!-photo-1.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-2.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-3.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-4.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-5.jpg  

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search