The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Building a MIXER!
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Here are some pics for you guys. The build is going slower then I thought, but really good. Don't let anyone tell you that building a box of this sort is easy. I still have some sanding to do and I'm putting a black finish on the bottom board. That bottom piece of ply-wood is going to but put into a dip that will encase it in a black rubber coating. The walnut is going to be finished in a satin lacquer. I'm looking forward to the end!!! Stay tuned!
Attached Thumbnails
Building a MIXER!-photo-2.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-4.jpg  
Old 13th November 2011
Gear Guru

so you are forgoing the electrical shielding advice then?
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

It should be still possible to cut sheets of thin metal to insert internally on the inside of your wood frame, as long as there is a few mm of space free either side. It looks REALLy gorgeous btw ..

I'd just keep going. You can always come back and address it once you're wiring it up .. It is true though, you literally need a layer of metal around the body of the strips, otherwise your 8 little channel strips will be 8 little RF attenas ..
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyxx View Post
so you are forgoing the electrical shielding advice then?
No, not forgoing it. I have full confidence that my tech (who is an extremely knowledgeable guy) knows how to take care of everything. The final stages of getting it wired and ready are a little ways away. I will for sure keep everyone updated on that process. Stay tuned and thanks for the advice/concerns.
Old 13th November 2011
Lives for gear

I did a project years ago like this with 4 Auditronics 110 modules in a wooden box. I had a friend cut metal to line the inside of the box and it worked fine.

You will love the eq's on these modules!

I have a 24 ch auditronics 110 console that is fat,big and warm and the eq sounds so smooth.You can really boost 12k and it still sounds smooth on these things. One of my fav all time eq's.

Another place you could spice up the sound of these is changing the input transformer although you might find that it sounds fine the way it is now.I always wanted to try a Lundahl or JLM input on them.

Good luck with it !!!
Old 22nd November 2011
Lives for gear

So, I'm still checking on this, but I've been told there is a company that makes a metal filled material (like a cloth) that can line the inside of this and disrupt the outside frequencies. Anyone know what this might be? I'll let you guys know if I end up finding this. Peace
Old 22nd November 2011
Gear Guru

I noticed my silverfaced Fender Showman had a simple metal mesh in the head cabinet to complete the shielding surrounding..it looked like screen door mesh or something like that. My Silvertone amp has an aluminum foil looking material. Maybe you could use copper foil? that's recommended for guitar internals, and i've seen it in wooden effects pedals, it's very easy to find.
Old 23rd November 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
So, I'm still checking on this, but I've been told there is a company that makes a metal filled material (like a cloth) that can line the inside of this and disrupt the outside frequencies. Anyone know what this might be? I'll let you guys know if I end up finding this. Peace

They may be talking about Schlegel Brand "fabric over foam" shielding (Welcome to Schlegel Electronic Materials :: Schlegel EMI). It's used in lot's of high frequency telecom products (That I happen to be in the industry of manufacturing) for making nice grounded seals between adjacent circuit boards for EMI/RFI purposes. I don't think I would line a cabinet with it.

I'd say your best bet is copper... either foil or you could spoil yourself with thick sheets. Try BasicCopper.com for that. What's nice about copper sheet is that it can be soldered to directly (Unlike aluminum or steal), as in one bead in each corner for continuity... and it can be machined readily. It is also what is used as a shield in high quality transformers so you know it will stand up in sensitive applications.

Pricey though...

Great project,
Brian
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

Hey all, please forgive the bad iphone pictures but here is the chassis alol painted and lacquered up! I will be grinding some of the steel tomorrow, mounting the face plates, and then off to my tech it goes! Can't wait. Thanks. I'll keep everyone updated
Attached Thumbnails
Building a MIXER!-photo-1.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-2.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-3.jpg   Building a MIXER!-photo-4.jpg  
Old 26th November 2011
Gear Guru

oops it got stuck to the ceiling again!!

looks really nice, kind of retro futuristic, which is always good
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

WOW. I keep reloading the pictures and they keep ending up upside down. Let me try again.
Old 14th March 2012
Here for the gear

How's the mixer coming? Looks incredible! Does it make sound yet? I just got an Auditronics 501 that I'm restoring and initially I'm pretty impressed with the sound of the pres.
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenact View Post
How's the mixer coming? Looks incredible! Does it make sound yet? I just got an Auditronics 501 that I'm restoring and initially I'm pretty impressed with the sound of the pres.
Ironically I'm still waiting to get it back from my tech. Mostly me procrastinating and being on tour a lot has caused the delay. But, I should have it soon (next two weeks or so). I'll let you know what I think. Where did you find your 501? I have been looking everywhere for a 501 or 110. Would still love to get my hands on one. Peace
Old 23rd March 2012
Here for the gear

I hear you, I'm always behind the curve a bit with my projects/studio maintenance.

I found my 501 on craigslist here in Los Angeles. It was in really really rough shape, (non-op, mouse nest etc), so I got a fair price on it. So far I have it all cleaned up and six channels working-- each with an assortment of different transformers and chips. Haven't put it thru the full paces yet, but seems like the pres have lots of headroom and the EQs are kind of cool-- pretty forgiving and musical with extreme cuts and boosts. The busses don't seem to have as much headroom tho and take a little finessing to avoid clipping.

I have an eight channel Spectra Sonics sidecar too that needs a frame so I'll be referring to your project once I get into that. Your woodwork looks awesome!
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listenact View Post
I hear you, I'm always behind the curve a bit with my projects/studio maintenance.

I found my 501 on craigslist here in Los Angeles. It was in really really rough shape, (non-op, mouse nest etc), so I got a fair price on it. So far I have it all cleaned up and six channels working-- each with an assortment of different transformers and chips. Haven't put it thru the full paces yet, but seems like the pres have lots of headroom and the EQs are kind of cool-- pretty forgiving and musical with extreme cuts and boosts. The busses don't seem to have as much headroom tho and take a little finessing to avoid clipping.

I have an eight channel Spectra Sonics sidecar too that needs a frame so I'll be referring to your project once I get into that. Your woodwork looks awesome!

Thanks! I really like the box that we ended up with BUT, if I had to go back and do it over again I would take a different approach. It was a bit of a PITA. If I had to do it again I think I would have gotten a shallow 19" rack box to put it in and then got (or built) a nice slanted wood box to mount it in. I'm almost about to get it in though and I can't wait! I'll let you know what I think of it. Peace
Old 23rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Looks great!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search