The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
SE RNR1 at high SPLs Ribbon Microphones
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

SE RNR1 at high SPLs

I've noticed that my SE RNR1s start to distort in front of loud guitar cabs (and I'm not talking about stupidly loud - just a bit of nice controlled level of carnage). This is not nice subtle harmonic distortion but a nasty clippy type noise. I've used passive ribbons such as 4038s and R121s with no problem on louder amps so I guess it's not a ribbon thing. Could it be that the actual ribbon is fine but the high SPL is overloading the active componants? Is this mic usable as a passive ribbon on higher SPL sources simply by not applying phantom power?
Old 21st January 2015
Gear Head

Hiss

Hi, I've been looking in to getting the RNR1 ...Have you managed to rectify the high SPL distortion yet and Ive also heard about a very disconcerting hiss with this microphone that even changing pre amps could not rectify in some cases...Some people have had no issue with this though ....Does it sound warm and rich?
Cheers Roan
Old 21st January 2015

Warm and rich? No. Detailed without being spiky - yes.

Hiss? It's a little noisy but not hugely. I wouldn't use it for recording the very quiet tapped drum or similar....
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search