The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Very transparents comps on recording vocals Dynamics Processors (HW)
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Very transparents comps on recording vocals

I always record vocals with my Avalon M5 preamp, which is very transparent and reliable.
I usually tend to go directly from preamp to DAW (without compression), to maintain the maximum transparency of the signal path.
But in some cases I need some comp to prevent the singer from overloading. I have a DBX 1066 comp, which works well, but it seems to me it colours a bit much the voice.
I would appreciate some suggestions on very transparents comps to use with my M5.
Thanks
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Atomic SqueezeBox
STC-8
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Focusrite Red very clean in my opinion

Sent from my WX445 using Gearslutz.com App
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Sounds like a Crane Song Trakker would be perfect for you.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Or the Cranesong STC-8.
Has a vocal preset that pretty much works for what you need.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear
Foote Control Systems makes the most transparent comp I've ever heard hands down. And If you search you can find one of their 500 series units for $650-$700.

The Inward Connections Brute is clean but also adds a little thickness and power. That is also 500 series.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Yep, the Foote Control Systems is a great choice. The stereo unit might seem overkill, but you'll use it mono in tracking, and probably on a bus or overall mix too.
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

You really only need to spend $300 to fix this problem. Buy a used Aphex 651 Expressor for $150 off ebay and have Jim Williams upgrade it for another $150. Some threads on this already, look them up. It will hang with the $2k units as a transparent tracking comp.
Old 9th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Honestly a Distressor (without engaging the character modes) using a lower ratio can stay quite out of the way, while also providing predictable control. There are a lot of very smooth comps out there that don't handle peaks with authority, however the Distressor does even at lower ratios. For ease of use though the OPTO mode is easy to dial in on most vocal styles.

The A-Designs NAIL is a stereo comp that can do dual mono as well, but those diode bridge designs offer very smooth control but have this great way of remaining open sounding with good presence, even when compressing hard. It's a pretty light character sound, but a desirable one for voice and certainly on the cleaner side. A lot of people just consider it a "2 buss" comp and it does so many things well.

Lots of good stuff to consider though.

War
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Foote Control Systems makes the most transparent comp I've ever heard hands down. And If you search you can find one of their 500 series units for $650-$700.
I'm searching it but it is impossible to find...
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Honestly a Distressor (without engaging the character modes) using a lower ratio can stay quite out of the way, while also providing predictable control. There are a lot of very smooth comps out there that don't handle peaks with authority, however the Distressor does even at lower ratios. For ease of use though the OPTO mode is easy to dial in on most vocal styles.
EL-8 Distressor?
And what about EL-8 BRIT MOD?
Old 9th September 2011
Gear Addict

I've always loved the Manley elop for this task. Another great unit that sees plenty of action during tracking and mixing...and never has me second guessing my settings as other comp/lims often do.
Old 9th September 2011
Jai guru deva om

The Brit mode is certainly not a requirement to keep things clean...but rather a rowdy "all buttons in 1176" style mode.

War
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornvalley View Post
Or the Cranesong STC-8.
Has a vocal preset that pretty much works for what you need.
I was going to mention the STC-8 but Cornvalley beet me to it - paul
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Millennia or GML every time in that circumstance
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

LA-2A.
I also have your SAME pre-amp (M4-M5-2022)
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Well I have to chime in a third for the STC-8. I know it acquired fame as a bus compressor, but for me it's absolutely indispensable for vocal recording. I like the flexibility too. I can have everything patched and gainstaged properly for bus compression, but if I need to record a track I take it out of stereo mode and use the right channel, leaving my stereo settings (left channel) intact.

-R
Old 9th September 2011
Lives for gear

Pendulum OCL/2 is a fantastic transparent comp for vocals for just a bit of compression or for squashing them.
Old 10th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
You really only need to spend $300 to fix this problem. Buy a used Aphex 651 Expressor for $150 off ebay and have Jim Williams upgrade it for another $150. Some threads on this already, look them up. It will hang with the $2k units as a transparent tracking comp.
Even without the mod the 651 is quite transparent. I suppose I'll have mine modded someday, but it's been just what I've wanted to control vocals.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Hi guys... You gave me many useful infos. And I think I have found the best suitable pre for my works, thank to you...
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

STC-8... and both the vocal and bass presets seem to have nailed the sweet spot.
Old 16th September 2011
Ok I'll go slumming. FMR RNC for cheap clean compression.
Just got one in and it's nice!
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

If the only reason for tracking through a compressor is to prevent overload, lower the gain on the preamp or reduce its output. You won't notice the difference in resolution.
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Comps using in tracking can do two things. You can even out a performance where the musician's skills are lacking (transparent comps shine in this duty) which keeps your signal to noise in a good place instead of just turning down the gain. You could just ride the fader too but a transparent comp will do it faster and more accurately. Secondly, you can add color with a comp as an effect.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by henge View Post
Ok I'll go slumming. FMR RNC for cheap clean compression.
Just got one in and it's nice!
Yeah, my FMR RNC pretty much stays permanently connected in my vocal recording chain, and it does a nice job of evening things out.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Addict

When using a Summit DCL-200 I often have to pause to make sure it's on. Highly recommended.
Old 16th September 2011
Atomic Squeezebox is amazing, Roll Music RMS755, anything CraneSong, anything Buzz Audio
Old 16th September 2011

Buzz Audio compressor (in the ARC 1.1) is amazing. Super transparent!

Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

Buzz Audio compressor (in the ARC 1.1) is amazing. Super transparent!

That's the opto that's similar to their SOC (1.1 and 20) and Essence
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Atomic Squeezebox.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search