The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Anyone in LA want to check out Sheen EQs with me? Equalisers (HW)
Old 9th September 2011
Anyone in LA want to check out Sheen EQs with me?

Any Slutz want to join me and a few folks to test/compare some EQs legendary for putting "sheen" on audio tracks next week (Thursday Sept 15)?. its my first shoot out salon. I am calling it the Monsters of Sheen We will be testing:

A Designs Hammer (modern hi-fi solid state-tube hybrid)
UBK Clariphonic (Dual Channel Parallel Equalizer)
Maag Audio EQ4 (500 version of the original “air band” EQ)
One other wildcard TBA

I am also trying to get hold of a Pearlman 250 to play with if we have extra time.

I am only having 12 people so we can really do some serious listening. This is not sponsored by anyone and there are no sales guys or product reps, its just a chance to hang out and test gear hands on. I hope this will be fun but its more about serious listening that having a party.

I am charging $2.99 to attend. It pays for some of the pizza and paypal helps me keep the guest list organized. Get all the details and sign up here:
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Addict

I hope to make it - i have been wanting to check out both the Clariphonic and the Maag Audio EQ4

Old 13th September 2011
Gear Guru

Fancy getting the Square state Solid State EQ in there at all....?

I'd just be really curious how it would keep up, considering it has a 17kHz band on the top shelf and inductors it should arguably make for a good budget sheen maker....no (haven't heard myself...)?

Either way, looking forward to hear the opinions/results on this one....LA is too far otherwise I'd fancy a bit of pizza too......
Old 13th September 2011
Gear Maniac

Would have loved to make it, but I'm in the mid west. Really looking forward to seeing/hearing the results.

Are you planning on posting any audio after the shootout?

Something I would be interested in, besides of course sublte eq settings, is hearing how they do as one pushes the air/eq knobs to fairly extreme settings, or even all the way up! just my two cents...

Also, I thought the clariphonic could make a sm58 sound like a LDC. I thought I read that somewhere. Could be a cool test also.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Fancy getting the Square state Solid State EQ in there at all....?
If I could figure out a way to get one in my studio by thursday I would.

The Avedis EQ is amazing for Sheen as well, but since they are not made any more it does not make much sense to test them.

It would be cool to get some audio files up after the event, but my focus is on getting a bunch people together running gear through its paces and sharing ideas and opinions. If we get some usable audio clips out of it, that will be a bonus.

we still have space if more people want to join us.
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCM - Ronan View Post
If I could figure out a way to get one in my studio by thursday I would.
Fair enough. Have a great "sheening"! heh
Old 14th September 2011
Here for the gear

square state solid state - inductors in the sheen band

[QUOTE=RCM - Ronan;7029197]If I could figure out a way to get one in my studio by thursday I would.

We're happy to be a wildcard. I can overnight a unit if you'd like!
Joe
square state solid state
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Guru

Wow! Cool......Ronan....? heh

In total selfishness I for one would be curious how those square state things square up to the others in your eyes/ears.....pun accidentaL, but accepted as if on purpose....
Old 14th September 2011
Gear Nut

what do you think the hours might be on this Ronan?
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike333 View Post
what do you think the hours might be on this Ronan?
Lots of details on this web page Shoot-Out Salon | homerecordingbootcamp.com

But basically we start at 7pm and go as long as everyone is having fun (but I figured things will wrap up by 11)
Old 14th September 2011
Lives for gear

can't believe you forgot the BAX
Old 14th September 2011
If the UPS truck arrives in time we are going to have the square state solid state

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vee View Post
can't believe you forgot the BAX
I am trying to keep these salons pretty focused, so that we really have a chance to dig deep into a few pieces of gear. Would be cool to get the BAX in on another shoot out.

I was going to have a Pearlman 250 here for testing, but with the addition of the Square State I think I am just going to focus on EQs.
Old 14th September 2011
Quote:
If the UPS truck arrives in time we are going to have the square state solid state

I am trying to keep these salons pretty focused, so that we really have a chance to dig deep into a few pieces of gear. Would be cool to get the BAX in on another shoot out.

I was going to have a Pearlman 250 here for testing, but with the addition of the Square State I think I am just going to focus on EQs.
Man, thanks for trying to get the square state in. I have been looking at this box for a while.

If I weren't on the east coast, I most certainly would attend. Sounds like fun. I am an "air" / "sheen" whatever fanatic, especially on OH's.

I really like the old eq3d btw. At my old job we had one, and I miss it...
I am guessing the maag is going to be similar?

Are you testing OH's?

Have fun man!

john
Old 15th September 2011
The Square State arrived in time. Unfortunately its only a single channel unit so we can not really run stereo mixes through it, but its going to be fun to check out.

Of of done a little bit of listening to myself and its going to be really interesting, all the EQs have such different characteristics.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone in LA want to check out Sheen EQs with me?-sheen-eq.jpg  
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennis View Post
Also, I thought the clariphonic could make a sm58 sound like a LDC.

Yep, use the Presence filter.

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 16th September 2011
Lives for gear

Too bad I'm still out of town. But if you are still looking for a wildcard I think the EM-PEQ are worthy of consideration.
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyc View Post
Too bad I'm still out of town. But if you are still looking for a wildcard I think the EM-PEQ are worthy of consideration.
I actually pulled them out of the rack to put in the Maag Audio EQs, but I do have the A Designs EM-EQ2 that we can play with.
Old 16th September 2011
Gear Maniac

how did it go?!

Probably too early to be asking, but I'd love to hear how it went. Who is the all time sheen winner?!! J/K, but seriously, when do you think you'll have some video or comments/reviews available? Thanks again for sharing

Edit: Just thought of the Lilpeqr if there is a next time
Old 16th September 2011
Maybe it's just me, but when I think of LA and sheen, I'm thinking Charlie.
Old 16th September 2011
Dont you also need to test a Manley Mini Massive passive

(This was built to be a sheener-izer)

Langevin Mini Massive Stereo Equalizer

And a GML 8200 ?

I will see what I can do to get you both to try out!

Old 16th September 2011
Gear Nut

I've been looking at the square state solid state eq for a while too! post some clips please
Old 16th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Maybe it's just me, but when I think of LA and sheen, I'm thinking Charlie.
The funny thing is that the building my studio is in used to be a club that supposedly Charlie Sheen used to hang out at a lot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Dont you also need to test a Manley Mini Massive passive
(This was built to be a sheener-izer)
Langevin Mini Massive Stereo Equalizer
And a GML 8200 ?
I will see what I can do to get you both to try out!
Will have to get them into some other shoot outs. I am still trying to figure out the best way to do these events and make them actually productive. We played with 5 EQs on the first event and that was almost too much. They were all so different that we really had to try lots of different things to find the strengths and weaknesses of all of them.

These events are really about getting people together to try things hands on, but I am trying to figure out a way to get some good clips together. I want to do it in a way that really does the tools justice.
Old 17th September 2011
Old 18th September 2011
Lives for gear

Did this go down? Man, I just saw this. Would have loved to be there.
Old 19th September 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kronos147 View Post
Did this go down?
Yeah, it was a lot of fun. I am trying to organize a wrap up of the general thoughts and maybe even get some samples together if I can.
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone in LA want to check out Sheen EQs with me?-shootoutgang.jpg  
Old 20th September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yeah, it was a lot of fun. I am trying to organize a wrap up of the general thoughts and maybe even get some samples together if I can.
Old 21st September 2011
Gear Maniac

anxiously waiting
Old 21st September 2011
Jai guru deva om

Hey Ronan, just thought it worth mentioning: many of the equalizers in our Clipalator are sold one channel at a time, and even in cases where we only had one channel on hand, we would simply run the left, then the right channels through and export them panned in stereo to show how they would act on a mix. Not a bad plan maybe if you plan on making clips, if you track to a DAW.

War
Old 22nd September 2011
Gear Guru

Hope it's kosher to post this link, Julian David was there and posted his thoughts on the shootout on a different thread:

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/7050953-post9.html

Gregory Scott - ubk
Old 23rd September 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Square State arrived in time. Unfortunately its only a single channel unit so we can not really run stereo mixes through it, but its going to be fun to check out.

Of of done a little bit of listening to myself and its going to be really interesting, all the EQs have such different characteristics.
what the HECK is the huge speaker behind the rack-o-gear?!?!?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search